Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CISSP Question

Options
  • 26-02-2018 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

Hi All. Am currently studying for CISSP exam and hope to take it in May. Am working through the CISSP Official Guide 7th Edition (2015) and have a couple of questions for anyone who has recently undertaken same:

1. Does the CISSP exam keep up to date with Regulations - in particular GDPR regulations? Does it keep up with other areas which have moved on since 2015, ie areas such pen testing / bit-coin malware and other "developments"..?

2. Are the CISSP exam questions geographically specific to the country in which exam is being sat? In other words will I need to know of all the US based legislation which is not applicable in EU zone?

thanks
    Gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

1 - There is a slight refresh happening in April. See this link for the info. However the actual subject matter will be what is on the current courseware books only.
    2 - As it's an international standard exam (I'm 99.987% certain), it's the same exam world round.
    This is interesting - they've changed the exam to Computer Adaptive Testing.. The guys on Techexams all seem to be quite positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Apologies for digging up an old thread but I am looking for guidance on completing CISSP certification.
    I have already covered a lot of the course work through my last job and am now just looking to test out.
    Are there specific exam centres where you can just go to sit the exam without signing up for a (very expensive) course?

Also, any idea of exam cost?

Thanks,

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Hey ,

The testing is done through prometric - the cost I've been told is €650

as listed here :
    https://www.isc2.org/Register-for-Exam/ISC2-Exam-Pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

You can select a test centre, and book the exam here

https://home.pearsonvue.com/isc2

You might want to look at the "official" CISSP CBK to make sure you are best prepared, stopping short of the actual courses & training which I also think can be expensive.

Kindle link here -> https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-CISSP-Fourth-Press-ebook/dp/B00W4YSL0Q/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

1. Register on www.cybrary.it
    a. Once registered, enrol in the ISC2 CISSP course by Kelly Handerhan.
    b. The course is completely free and you can download the mp3 files of the lectures (https://content.cybrary.it/assets/level1/audio/CISSP/CISSP%208%20Domain%20MP3s.zip)
    c. I listened to this on repeat and religiously – on the way to and from work, in the car, on the train. All TV shows and music were banned while I was studying.

2. Reading materials:
    a. The official CISSP book is, in my opinion, ridiculously big and very difficult to read through.
    b. I would highly recommend the following book: CISSP Study Guide 3rd Edition by Eric Conrad – this book is a third the size of the official book, cuts out all the “filler” material and gets straight to the point.
    c. I read this book cover to cover several times and continue to use it as a reference.

3. Exam Preparation:
    a. The official ISC2 practice exams are the closest I came to the questions in the actual exam, see below link:
    b. https://www.amazon.com/CISSP-Official-ISC-Practice-Tests/dp/1119475929/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548684562&sr=1-5&keywords=isc2+CISSP
    c. This gives you access to 1300 test questions which you can take online and track your strengths and weaknesses

The exam itself you be taken from the view point of a manager – you will be presented with a question and 4 possible answers, all of which are correct but you need to pick the best option. The question might give you a hint that the organisation in question is has a tight budget so you need to look for an answer which aligns with the organisations budget restrictions. It’s a conceptual exam so you need to think out the scenario presented to you, you will not see specific technical questions e.g. what port to does X protocol use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

Keyzer wrote: »
    1. Register on www.cybrary.it
    a. Once registered, enrol in the ISC2 CISSP course by Kelly Handerhan.
    b. The course is completely free and you can download the mp3 files of the lectures (https://content.cybrary.it/assets/level1/audio/CISSP/CISSP%208%20Domain%20MP3s.zip)
    c. I listened to this on repeat and religiously – on the way to and from work, in the car, on the train. All TV shows and music were banned while I was studying.

2. Reading materials:
    a. The official CISSP book is, in my opinion, ridiculously big and very difficult to read through.
    b. I would highly recommend the following book: CISSP Study Guide 3rd Edition by Eric Conrad – this book is a third the size of the official book, cuts out all the “filler” material and gets straight to the point.
    c. I read this book cover to cover several times and continue to use it as a reference.

3. Exam Preparation:
    a. The official ISC2 practice exams are the closest I came to the questions in the actual exam, see below link:
    b. https://www.amazon.com/CISSP-Official-ISC-Practice-Tests/dp/1119475929/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548684562&sr=1-5&keywords=isc2+CISSP
    c. This gives you access to 1300 test questions which you can take online and track your strengths and weaknesses

The exam itself you be taken from the view point of a manager – you will be presented with a question and 4 possible answers, all of which are correct but you need to pick the best option. The question might give you a hint that the organisation in question is has a tight budget so you need to look for an answer which aligns with the organisations budget restrictions. It’s a conceptual exam so you need to think out the scenario presented to you, you will not see specific technical questions e.g. what port to does X protocol use.

Sorry to dig this up again, I am about to start digging into this for a new role and the link for audio downloads is dead. Any chance you have another link?

EDIT
    No to worry I got this to work so I have them all now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Just got a role in Security. I have other Security certs, but going for this one now to get a different perspective - my other certs are around Audit and Risk.
    Looking forward to getting stuck in to this.
    Thanks for the info!

Eoin

Advertisement