Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulating gap under dormer knee wall

• 17-10-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm thinking about tackling the knee walls in one of the rooms of my dormer before committing doing them all and a big problem for me is air from the ventilated attic space being able to run between the joists.
    There is rigid insulation board at the back of the knee wall between the studs that runs from floor level at top of joists to dormer roof.

My plan is to use pir (Kingspan Kooltherm K7) to block the gap under the existing insulation i.e. the height of the joist between the studs and seal around it but I have some questions.
    1. what should I use to seal the bottom of the existing pir to the new? Siga tape?
    2. what should I use to seal around the new pir and the joists?
    3. do I need to worry about the joists breathing properly if I seal up that gap?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

1. what should I use to seal the bottom of the existing pir to the new? Siga tape?
    2. what should I use to seal around the new pir and the joists?
    3. do I need to worry about the joists breathing properly if I seal up that gap?

Thanks

1. Siga tape
    2. Siga tape - (btw, instead of PIR you can use ply (9mm) and pre-cut them if all/majority of the gaps are roughly the same size)
    3. No issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The jargon varies here but are the studs not supported on a bottom plate?
    If so, the ply idea is better because if cut the right shape/size it can be screwed to the side of the bottom plate, using something like
    https://www.ecologicalbuildingshop.ie/Ecological-Building-Product-Detail.asp?prodId=S196016&catId=255
    to seal behind the ply and around the edges with the ceiling joists, assuming you cut them pretty neatly :) .
    If so again: your point 1 is not relevant as the upper PIR should be on top of the bottom plate and away from the ceiling insulation

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

MicktheMan wrote: »
    1. Siga tape
    2. Siga tape - (btw, instead of PIR you can use ply (9mm) and pre-cut them if all/majority of the gaps are roughly the same size)
    3. No issue
    Thanks Mick, can you recommend which one please? They have a few.

If so, the ply idea is better because if cut the right shape/size it can be screwed to the side of the bottom plate, using something like
    https://www.ecologicalbuildingshop.ie/Ecological-Building-Product-Detail.asp?prodId=S196016&catId=255
    to seal behind the ply and around the edges with the ceiling joists, assuming you cut them pretty neatly :) .
    If so again: your point 1 is not relevant as the upper PIR should be on top of the bottom plate and away from the ceiling insulation
    Thanks for the information, I'll take a look tomorrow and put up a pic or 2 if I need more help. Cheers!

Thanks Mick, can you recommend which one please? They have a few.

Depends very much on the surface but the rissan tape (green) is good. Their mastic is also excellent in combination with the tape especially if surfaces are rough.
    They have a booklet which has good examples if memory serves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I found contiga SL to be a more adhesive tape than sika. Sticks to anything.

Siga ;)

Have no idea of the comparison but I've found the siga range excellent

Right so, took a look in the crawl space earlier and the insulation in there was worse than I remembered.

I thought that I had pir on the knee wall but it's fibreglass. Worse still, it doesn't look very secure and has peeled away completely between some studs.

Looks like a bit more work to do then to replace that fibreglass on the knee wall with pir and seal around that and the studs.

I've attached some pics and measurements are:
    Studs: 2" x 4" with 14" gap
    Joists: 8.5" x 2" with 14" gap

IMG_20191018_100509.jpg shows the crawl space with fibreglass knee wall insulation and blown insulation
    IMG_20191018_100644.jpg shows the stud base board and gap between the joists
    IMG_20191018_101208.jpg are cross timbers between the joists. Bit confusing these, some have a gap of around 1 inch between timber and felt while others look completely sealed up. There is pir on the other side of that board running up into the attic and stopping at dormer ceiling where blown insulation takes over.
    You're right, the are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well, on the upside you can't make it any worse!

Lumen wrote: »
    Well, on the upside you can't make it any worse!
    LOL, that's true!

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I found contiga SL to be a more adhesive tape than sika. Sticks to anything.
    How are these tapes with rough timber like joists and studs? Would sealant be a better option for those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How are these tapes with rough timber like joists and studs? Would sealant be a better option for those?

I've found with the proclima tapes that the stretchier the better, their paper tape is a bit frustrating to use compared to the more expensive cloth one (and the glue is the same). The sealant (Orcon F in the case of proclima) tends to be used as a bead on a particularly difficult surface, and can be combined with the tape, but for joists you should be able to get away with stretchy tape.

It's bloody expensive though and you're going to need quite a lot of it!

edit: the other thing about the tapes is that they're not really designed to take a lot of air pressure. If possible you want to have something stopping physical movement of the tape when there is pressure on it, i.e. for it to be supported on both sides (front and back). I can't quite work out how this advice applies to what you're trying to do, but it should seem obvious when you're crawling around doing it. Basically, just imagine that there is a vacuum cleaner on one or either sides of the tape and think about how to reduce the tendency of that to bugger up the tape over time.

Thanks Lumen, if anything I'd probably opt for sealant and tape between the joists and sealant only between the studs if the pir is butted tightly between them

Advertisement