Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 controller disconnecting even when plugged into my console

Options
  • 03-03-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I have a problem with my PS4 controller.
    It disconnects when plugged into the console via USB and won't charge.
    Console says it's fully charged.
    I try playing with it wirelessly and it also disconnects like it's run out of battery but it hasn't because the PS4 says it's fully charged and it only flashes yellow once then stops.
    It seems to disconnect when I press the PlayStation home button but that could just be coincidental.
    I hope the battery isn't screwed.
    Even if battery was screwed though you'd imagine it's work properly when connected to the console.
    If anyone knows anything and can help please do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Had this issue previously also. Put a new hard drive in my PS4 and could never get the controller to connect. Needed to synchronise it but couldn’t get it to connect with a cable.

A mate gave me another cable to try and was able to sync it so I reckon that’s your issue. Try a different cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Had this issue previously also. Put a new hard drive in my PS4 and could never get the controller to connect. Needed to synchronise it but couldn’t get it to connect with a cable.

A mate gave me another cable to try and was able to sync it so I reckon that’s your issue. Try a different cable.

Mine syncs and connects.
    The problem is it disconnects as if battery had ran out and even disconnects after a while when hooked up to the console via USB.
    Blooming battery meter on PS4 shows it as full so it won't charge.
    I'll try a different usb cable later anyway and see if that helps.

I don't think it's the USB cable.
    I turned the PS4 on with the controller wirelessly and after a few seconds it just disconnected like the battery had run out.
    The PS4 battery meter says that the battery is full so it won't charge it.
    Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

The battery in the controller may be shot, or the battery management IC could be dead.
    I haven't seen this before in any of mine though.

Do any controllers work with your PS4?

You could also try to plug the controller into a phone charge to charge it up and see if it stays connected

KeithTS wrote: »
    The battery in the controller may be shot, or the battery management IC could be dead.
    I haven't seen this before in any of mine though.

Do any controllers work with your PS4?

You could also try to plug the controller into a phone charge to charge it up and see if it stays connected

Are the batteries in these controllers designed to screw up after a certain number of years?
    I got this controller with my PS4 back around August of 2015.
    I haven't been using it constantly since that though.
    I played my Xbox 360 a lot.
    I suppose I could just try leaving it plugged into the console for 3 hours even if the light isn't on it could be the battery management IC(what's IC?) screwed up like you said.

This is doing nothing so I'm going to try charging it using my pc.

• Advertisement

They batteries aren't designed die intentionally. Thy're more or less a phone battery, the more charge/discharge sycles they go through, the worse they become until they can't hold charge for long at all.
    Normally, it would still work while being charged though.

The battery management IC (integrated circuit) is a component in the controller which reads the charge in the battery and tells the charging circuitry how much current to inject to charge it up. If that's dead (not likely), then no matter what state the battery is in, it won't charge.

Unusual that it's showing full charge but refusing to connect, that's making me think it's a communications thing more than a hardware issue.
    Have you tried resetting the controller and pairing it again?

You could try http://ds4windows.com/
    That lets you configure you DS4 to use with Windows. If it works there, then the controller is most likely fine and the issue is something else.

ds4windows says it has a full battery.
    There's no orange light on the controller to show its charging.
    I've no idea what's going on with it.
    I don't have bluetooth or an bluetooth adapters on my pc.
    Anyway I'm going to try leaving it plugged into my pc for 3 hours.

I tried it last night.
    It made no difference whatsoever.
    After I'd had it plugged into my pc for a few minutes that time it did last longer on my PS4 before going dead.
    So I'll give it a try anyway for the 3 hours and see if that helps bring it back to normality.

I do have another controller anyway but I'd still like to sort this one out if I can.

Are you able to power the PS4 on by pressing the PS button on the controller?
    It sounds as though it's just not communicating with the console.

Try the hard reset like sugarman suggested.
    Turn off your PS4 and unplug it, leave it alone for a few minutes.
    Plug the PS4 back in.
    Get a pin and hold to little button on the back on the controller in for 5 seconds or more.
    Plug a USB cable into the controller and PS4, press the PS button.

If that doesn't work, using the good controller navigate to settings -> Devices -> Bluetooth Devices.
    this should bring up a list of things connected to your PS4, go though them and unpair the bad controller. If there are loads of things in this list I would clear it all and start from scratch.
    Then do the reset/sync thing again.

Are you using a DualShock4 btw?

KeithTS wrote: »
    Are you able to power the PS4 on by pressing the PS button on the controller?
    It sounds as though it's just not communicating with the console.

Try the hard reset like sugarman suggested.
    Turn off your PS4 and unplug it, leave it alone for a few minutes.
    Plug the PS4 back in.
    Get a pin and hold to little button on the back on the controller in for 5 seconds or more.
    Plug a USB cable into the controller and PS4, press the PS button.

If that doesn't work, using the good controller navigate to settings -> Devices -> Bluetooth Devices.
    this should bring up a list of things connected to your PS4, go though them and unpair the bad controller. If there are loads of things in this list I would clear it all and start from scratch.
    Then do the reset/sync thing again.

Are you using a DualShock4 btw?

Yes the official Dualshock 4.
    It came with the console.
    I will try that.

• Advertisement

Ok I reset the controller and hooked it up via USB and it was unresponsive at first.
    After a few minutes of being hooked up via USB I managed to turn it on and pressing the PlayStation connect button I managed to turn it on. I played with it connected for a few minutes with it hooked in via USB.
    If I unhooked the USB the controller would disconnect instantly.
    Anyway after those few minutes of playing hooked up via USB it died again.
    After a few minutes I could manage to bring it back to life for a split second then disconnect.
    So that happened a few times and I gave up and used my other controller to turn off my PS4 and disconnected the USB on the wonky controller.
    So I leave the room and come back a couple of minutes later and the PS4 is powered on.
    The wonky controller had decided to turn my PS4 back on itself.
    It has developed a mind of its own.

I think the battery is screwed and it seems to have phantom press on the PlayStation button.
    I might try opening it up.
    At the moment it's unusable either tethered to the console or wireless it is completely unusable.
    So by opening it up I really have nothing to lose.
    It's completely banjaxed.
    It is a gen1 PS4 controller so I think it needs the battery in order to do anything.
    I'm not really sure about that but maybe that's why it won't work properly even via USB.

Advertisement