Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-11-2018, 17:41   #1
kig

Eircode puzzle

I have just complained to An Post about a undelivered package which didn't have our house number, but had everything else correctly addressed including the eircode. Their reply was that they do not use eircode for deliveries.
What is the point of eircode if our postal system doesn't use eircode?
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 17:44   #2
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kig View Post
I have just complained to An Post about a undelivered package which didn't have our house number, but had everything else correctly addressed including the eircode. Their reply was that they do not use eircode for deliveries.
What is the point of eircode if our postal system doesn't use eircode?
It was a government led program. An Post said from the start that their systems didn’t recognise it.
06-11-2018, 17:49   #3
EdgeCase

They do use it, but not in every aspect of their systems and they didn't develop it and actually dragged their feet on the rollout of postal codes here for decades. We were supposed to be introducing postal codes in the mid 1970s!

I've been told they do use it for automatic sorting, but that delivery staff i.e. postmen and women may not be able to look it up locally so, without the top line of your address, they still won't be able to find your house.

The Eircode might have gone through the automatic sorting system and delivered the item to that particular route, but unless the postman / woman keys it into something to look up the address, they're not going to have a clue where you are.

It's still useful, and it's very handy for couriers and so on, but it'll just take An Post 40 years or so to get with the times. There's nothing new there really.

Basically, for An Post staff to be able to use Eircode at local level, they would need to have something like a mobile phone with an app to look it up. You can be sure that this level of 'advanced technology' wouldn't be something that they'd have yet.

Last edited by EdgeCase; 06-11-2018 at 17:54.
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 18:22   #4
kig

Why are we worried about broadband coverage if we can't even get a postcode system to work. An Post needs their a***s kicked!
06-11-2018, 18:39   #5
EdgeCase

Basically the history of Eircode was that An Post did not want to rollout any kind of postal code and were quite happy to just let the system work on totally illogical addressing that could only be deciphered by them.

In the end Eircode was driven by the Government as a totally separate project to facilitate better addressing so people could find things, couriers could find addresses and so on without driving around in circles.

Eircode is not a post code in the traditional sense, it's national geolocation code that looks up any address.

It's up to individual couriers and mapping companies to adopt it if they want. Google Maps use it, as do several of the courier companies at this stage and An Post seem to use it for internal sorting now too.

It'll just start to get picked up as more companies and individuals start to find it useful.
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 19:35   #6
daithi7

It's a pile of crap is what it is, and an expensive one at that!!
(2) thanks from:
06-11-2018, 19:37   #7
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi7 View Post
It's a pile of crap is what it is, and an expensive one at that!!
On the contrary I think its great. No need asking for directions. Just input 7 digits into google drive and 'bingo'.
06-11-2018, 19:59   #8
daithi7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post
On the contrary I think its great. No need asking for directions. Just input 7 digits into google drive and 'bingo'.
Fair enough, I just don't like our coding system e.g. the abandonment of County letters in the code, and other anomalies with it. It looks half baked imho.
06-11-2018, 20:27   #9
Lantus

What3words has the location solution nailed for virtually all situations.
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 20:31   #10
selous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kig View Post
Why are we worried about broadband coverage if we can't even get a postcode system to work. An Post needs their a***s kicked!
As does the person who didn't put your full address.

Amazon seem to have a habit now of slicing off the left hand side of address' on their label, only for my phone number is attached to the barcode the post person rings to ask for my full address, to deliver it, no ass kicking needed.
Thanks from:
06-11-2018, 21:55   #11
Ursus Horribilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantus View Post
What3words has the location solution nailed for virtually all situations.
They're all whistling in the wind now the eircode is here
06-11-2018, 21:56   #12
mdebets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fann Linn View Post
It's ok for courier companies, who might have one delivery in a certain street every few days and varying routes every day over a large area, but crap for a postman who goes the same route every day and delivers several letters to several houses in a certain street every day.
What they need, is the relative location of addresses, eg. 21 High Street is next or one down from 23 High Street. Eircode doesn't give you this. D07 R532 and D07 T466 could be two houses next to each other, but there is no way of knowing this, without typing them into a computer. To use it, the postman would have to look up each address, which is not feasible. It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.
06-11-2018, 22:02   #13
Fann Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Horribilis View Post
They're all whistling in the wind now the eircode is here

Well if the house I'm looking for knew and could use their what3word tag I'd use that.

For now I'll stick with eircode.
06-11-2018, 22:10   #14
4ensic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
It's ok for courier companies, who might have one delivery in a certain street every few days and varying routes every day over a large area, but crap for a postman who goes the same route every day and delivers several letters to several houses in a certain street every day.
What they need, is the relative location of addresses, eg. 21 High Street is next or one down from 23 High Street. Eircode doesn't give you this. D07 R532 and D07 T466 could be two houses next to each other, but there is no way of knowing this, without typing them into a computer. To use it, the postman would have to look up each address, which is not feasible. It could have worked, if they used a logical (rather than a random) system and the house next to D07 R532 would be D07 R533. Then it could work for the postman.
It was decided not to use a logical system for privacy reasons.
06-11-2018, 22:15   #15
mickdw

They don't use it yet when they put my letter with perfect address in to a neighbour, the response was, well if it had an eircode, it would be sure of going to the correct house.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion