Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N Square Steakhouse and seafood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The food is good, the restaurant itself is good, the prices are good. Just seems like they need to get their marketing strategy in place! Plastering bus shelters with ads is not the classiest way of going about advertising a nice restaurant. If their website was more than a giant JPG screenshot of their facebook page it might generate more foot traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

AmeliaO wrote: »
    tricky location so close to Brannigans and all but sure, the food made up for it!!

Tricky in what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jesus lads, would ye chill out! If you were opening a restaurant you'd be advertising in any way ye could aswell! stop being so critical over petty things. the shilling shouldn't have went about it that way - guaranteed but ye're being unnecessary!
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Take a Chill Pill indeed.. Im delighted this place is getting good reviews hoping to take a trip in there next week perhaps at some stage.. If the seafood is nice well defo go there more often. cant wait..

All I want is a sample menu... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmeliaO

SandStone wrote: »
    Tricky in what way?

Ah just the crowd it can gather sometimes on the weekend is all - i wouldn't go parking my car by there, one of my friends drove up there to try the place out and she parked outside the place - (Thursday night) and they kicked her window in! So the only annoying thing is like finding a parking space!

Also, don't complain about it on Boards - why not just ring and be like 'oh, when will you have a sample menu up?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Ah just the crowd it can gather sometimes on the weekend is all - i wouldn't go parking my car by there, one of my friends drove up there to try the place out and she parked outside the place - (Thursday night) and they kicked her window in! So the only annoying thing is like finding a parking space!

Also, don't complain about it on Boards - why not just ring and be like 'oh, when will you have a sample menu up?'

I've been parking in the multistory around the corner (literally next door). Not free, but relatively secure.

• Advertisement

It's not my job to go out of my way to be tempted into going to a restaurant. Especially when it's new. That's their job. There are some cracking restaurants in Cork and it's going to be a tricky market to break into. Best of luck to them. It must just be me but I'd like to get some flavour for the food and the prices before I go there. We'd go out for a meal once a week or so and there's fantastic food and value in Cork now.

It's not my job or place to ring them up and tell them to put some sort of sample menu up. At the end of the day I'm just one customer and it's quite possible I'm being odd about it but that's how I feel. Their success or otherwise won't be influenced in the slightest by me going there or not anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

gpf101 wrote: »
    It's not my job or place to ring them up and tell them to put some sort of sample menu up. At the end of the day I'm just one customer and it's quite possible I'm being odd about it but that's how I feel. Their success or otherwise won't be influenced in the slightest by me going there or not anyway.

Not just you...I would always check out sample menus on a website before deciding where to go unless I have got a recommendation from someone I trust.
    The lack of one is a very basic oversight. I guess they will get around to it though...they are new after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ludo wrote: »
    Not just you...I would always check out sample menus on a website before deciding where to go unless I have got a recommendation from someone I trust.
    The lack of one is a very basic oversight. I guess they will get around to it though...they are new after all.

As I said, not even a menu posted outside the restaurant. There is such thing as passing trade. They need to help themselves.

I'd also forgive the shilling thing. Lots of people just don't understand online protocol. I'm sure they do now!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/N-Square-Steakhouse-Seafood-Restaurant/375324579146933

there ye go guys, checked it earlier to see if there had been any update on the menu, and they're after saying there's technical problems or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Are you working for N Square Amelia? You've 5 posts on boards, and 4 are on this thread. Just curious like ;)

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    Are you working for N Square Amelia? You've 5 posts on boards, and 4 are on this thread. Just curious like ;)

I'm not, I'm from Carlow but college-ing down here. Working as a barmaid up in Carlow on the weekends :) I had a different account but I had to delete it - and this is the first post since I got a new one that i've bothered to follow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

I'd also forgive the shilling thing. Lots of people just don't understand online protocol.

That's only an explanation if they make it clear that they're representing the restaurant. If they pretend they're an ordinary customer, it's (attempted) deception.

Good stuff. Not sure what technical difficulties you'd have uploading something to facebook but anyway I'll try them out if I like the look of the menu (and I'm sure I will).

Fair play to someone taking a chance the way things are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

i went there for lunch just after it opened and got roast lamb with the usual veg and spuds for €9.99. couldn't complain about the price and it really hit the spot!

i know this is an old thread but they gave me a copy of their dinner menu to take home which i can post pictures of if that's not bad form?? it may well have changed a bit but would give an idea of prices and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I wouldn't mind seeing it anyway, but you'd be as well off to ask a Mod for permission.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Mandatory disclaimer :P I'm no financial interest in the place nor do I have friends working there.

I went in there with 2 friends last night and all of us came out both stuffed and extremely happy.

I had;
    Starter
    tomato salad =~ €4.50. Damn nice, I usually leave bits of salad plates behind me, this one I wanted to wipe with bread to get evey last bit.

Main course
    surf 'n turf (seafood and fillet steak) = €29.50. Most people would call this pricy but for that price I got;
    2 pieces of steak ( roughly 4&1/2" X 2" or a little bigger)
    2 prawns
    2 scallops
    There was more steak alone than I'm used to getting with a normal steak dinner so I would have been happy with that alone without the seafood for that price

Drink
    Glass of wine = €4.50, verryyy nice and a decent glassful

Dessert
    Baked Alaska - I can't remember the price but say €5 +/- 50c on averge. Again very nice and something I haven't seen on any restaurant menu in years.

Wait-staff/Serving times
    While we were waiting the kitchen sent out a small plate of samosas and mini-quiche and a bread roll each which was unexpected and very nice, it gave us something to nibble on while we waited (very briefly) for the starters (we were famished after slabbing a room all afternoon as we hadn't stopped to eat all day)

The waitresses were attentive, asking if we needed anything without being annoyingly so.

The Chef came out to all the tables during their main meals to make sure everything was okay
    The lads had fish cakes, soup then chicken wrapped in bacon and ................ I can't remember :o finishing with Baileys & Malteeser cheesecake plus choclate cake. They were happy with all 3 courses.

Complaints
    None really, just our own stupidity - :o We couldn't find the main door, it's on the side of the building where the lane is (not the main dual lane road) and you do have to twist a handle which I never spotted so when I pushed the door it didn't open like other restaurant doors so I thought it was an emergency exit and walked away. Although I did see a couple make the same mistake later in the night so I didn't fel too bad :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They are not helping themselves by not having menus printed outside.
    Who goes into a restaurant for the first time without having a look at the menu?!

Regarding the illegible sign, I'm pretty sure that the 'N' part of the sign was put up upside down. The logo here looks like an 'N' but on the wall of the building it doesn't because it is upside down!!

I've gone past a few times in the last week, and I'm pretty sure you're right about it being upside down. The unnecessary squiggly bit is in a different place on the sign on the wall.

I just saw on their facebook page that someone complained that they sat random couples together at tables for 4, even when there were empty tables available! I'd be appalled if they sat me on top of strangers at a restaurant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Faith wrote: »
    I've gone past a few times in the last week, and I'm pretty sure you're right about it being upside down. The unnecessary squiggly bit is in a different place on the sign on the wall.

I just saw on their facebook page that someone complained that they sat random couples together at tables for 4, even when there were empty tables available! I'd be appalled if they sat me on top of strangers at a restaurant!

Myself and the misses were looking at that sign yesterday and couldn't figure out what the letter was.

Has there been a reply on facebook to the random couples at a table complaint? We were going to go there but if they're doing that I sure as hell wouldn't be going in there.

54kroc wrote: »

Has there been a reply on facebook to the random couples at a table complaint?...........

I can't seem to find that comment.
    I'd pay more heed to the reviews on here than a comment on facebook anyway tbh.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    I can't seem to find that comment.
    I'd pay more heed to the reviews on here than a comment on facebook anyway tbh.
    Oonagh Brennan
    I had a lovely meal and the staff were great. However, the policy of sitting couples together at tables for four put a downer on the experience, especially when there were plenty of empty tables. One couple left after pretending to get a phone call and we didn't stay for dessert when a couple was put with us. It would make me hesitant to return.
    Like · · 16 March at 09:57
    54kroc wrote: »
    Myself and the misses were looking at that sign yesterday and couldn't figure out what the letter was.

Has there been a reply on facebook to the random couples at a table complaint? We were going to go there but if they're doing that I sure as hell wouldn't be going in there.

There was no reply to it, even though they've replied to other comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I just saw on their facebook page that someone complained that they sat random couples together at tables for 4, even when there were empty tables available!

that would put me off ever going there!

deRanged wrote: »
    that would put me off ever going there!

Based on a facebook comment?

Why do you think comments here are more trustworthy? Facebook has 845 million users. You can be sure that a LOT more of Cork's population are on Facebook than on boards.ie, so a broader spectrum of people will post on the Facebook wall. There's been at least one instance of shilling on this thread already, so I'd be less inclined to trust this thread for reviews.

I meant that if they were doing that, then I wouldn't go there. I don't rate Facebook much for comments/reviews. There are much better places for info.

There was no reply to it, even though they've replied to other comments.

there's a response to it now, basically saying that they don't do that.

Why do you think comments here are more trustworthy? Facebook has 845 million users. You can be sure that a LOT more of Cork's population are on Facebook than on boards.ie, so a broader spectrum of people will post on the Facebook wall. There's been at least one instance of shilling on this thread already, so I'd be less inclined to trust this thread for reviews.

I'd be agreeing with deRanged :)
    I'd be more inclined to let the four positive reviews on here influence me than a comment on facebook.
    It seems the comment on facebook has been challenged by the restaurant too.

I find it strange you reckon the 4 reviews on here would be less trustworthy than a facebook comment when a new user signing up slating a place was deemed "a fair assessment"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77821558
    That poster hasn't posted since that thread either.

I'd be agreeing with deRanged :)
    I'd be more inclined to let the four positive reviews on here influence me than a comment on facebook.
    It seems the comment on facebook has been challenged by the restaurant too.

I find it strange you reckon the 4 reviews on here would be less trustworthy than a facebook comment when a new user signing up slating a place was deemed "a fair assessment"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77821558
    That poster hasn't posted since that thread either.

I had nothing to do with that Heaven Pizza thread so I have no idea why you're bringing it up?

Maybe it's from 7 years of moderating the food and drink forums, but I'd discount at least two of the reviews because I wouldn't trust that they're not associated with the restaurant. Other than that, I never said I find the reviews on here less trustworthy than Facebook - I take them all on board equally. You're the one with the bias.

I had nothing to do with that Heaven Pizza thread so I have no idea why you're bringing it up?.............

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70126952&postcount=3

I reckon that facebook comment might be less than genuine.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70126952&postcount=3

I reckon that facebook comment might be less than genuine.

Fair enough, I didn't scroll up on that thread and had forgotten I was involved. I took that action because the only time I've signed up somewhere to post about a restaurant was after a truly shocking experience and I wanted to warn others. However, nor do I care any more. You can listen to any assessments that you want, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your experience there when you try it out. Perhaps you'll even treat us with a review of your own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement