Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online furniture auction

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I have tried to be as helpful and as honest with you and everyone else on here. You don’t get it , do you ? This is a trial run. We will let the readers of the thread be the judges. Good Night. Time for Bed.

I don't understand why ye couldn't have just set up an Ebay account and direct traffic to Ebay via your website, that would be far more transparent and efficient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Dia1988 wrote: »
    But in your 'auction' your maximum bid is revealed which defeats the purpose of the whole auction.

Your 'current' bid is revealed just like a real life auction. You are free to increase your current bid until you reach your 'maximum' bid. If everyone went into a real life auction room and bid their maximum bid we'd all be auctioneers.

In my experience the final price on ebay is significantly higher on average if you let ebay bid up to a max vs sniping it at the end of the auction hence the plethora of bidding tools. But if you want to pay more I'm sure mick will take your money.
    Ye may as well use an Adverts.ie platform where people make offers!

Adverts is the opposite of an auction the price only goes down and if the first numpty makes a stupid offer its all downhill from there.

Say mick lists a €1100 king size mattress for €200 plus €30 delivery on Adverts the typical process is:

Buyer 1 - €50 offered including delivery to Azerbaijan
    Mick - Sorry too low
    Buyer 1 - Theres a piss stained one on ebay in Outer Mongolia for €40 so its a fair offer
    Mick - Feel free to purchase it if it suits you
    Buyer 2 - Would it fit in a Volkswagen Up / on the back of my bicycle
    Mick - Eh No, but we deliver nationwide for a reasonable fee
    Buyer 2 - €40 offered plus delivery thats my best offer
    Mick - Sorry too low
    Buyer 3 - €200 seems steep I only paid £100 for my last mattress in 1977
    Mick - RRP is €1100 the price is very reasonable
    Buyer 4 - €50 offered if you can meet me on Mizen head on Sunday night at 11.30pm.
    Mick - Sorry too low and I wouldnt be going that way
    Buyer 5 - €50 offered can take it out of your way any evening this week, I'm doing you a favour taking it off your hands
    Mick - Sorry too low
    Buyer 5 - Offer withdrawn I bought some straw to sleep on instead snooze you lose
    Buyer 6 - Swap for the manure in my ads
    Mick - Ahhhhhhrrrrggghhhhhh

• Company Representative Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

I don't understand why ye couldn't have just set up an Ebay account and direct traffic to Ebay via your website, that would be far more transparent and efficient!

We can look at that also but on E bay, fees are expensive whether the item is sold or not. Trying to run it the way we have we can avoid e bay fees. On many of the items offered , the reserve has been met already so that says a lot about the auction as there are 5 days to go. Come the end of the auction, I’m sure plenty of bidders will share their experiences.

I’m in the airport and away for a few days. I will answer any queries on here but may be a bit slower than usual.

Happy bidding everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

How can I see what the reserve is on an item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I really wish numpties would stop filling up my inbox.

Simple solution. You don't like how is works ? Great, don't bid and don't comment. The majority here are happy enough.

• Advertisement

Hi all

Thanks for all the comments . We will take all of these on board. Some of the comments have been really helpful and educated me on a few things about Paypal and E bay that I was not aware off. Really appreciate everyone’s input. I am away and internet is a bit sketchy but will do my best to answer any queries as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

If anyone has an issue with Mick or his team or questions their motives I implore you to drop down to him. I've known Mick for years, I started the first thread on boards about him years ago. He has supplied furniture to countless friends and family over the years and not one single complaint, just loads of praise. It's at the stage now that I can't drive through Longford without calling in for a chat... I don't think there's any shop I've ever bought from that I was think about dropping into just to have a chat!!!

Best of luck with the auction, I'm sure it will go through a few revisions before being perfected but what isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Any measurements on the long solid tv units. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

foxirl wrote: »
    Any measurements on the long solid tv units. Thanks

Yeah there are a lot of items missing essential information. I wouldn't bid without knowing the size.

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah there are a lot of items missing essential information. I wouldn't bid without knowing the size.

I asked last week about sizes being put up for sofas but sadly to no avail.

• Advertisement

Hi Mick,

What’s the depth of the 5ft mattresses?

Only see these 3 comments now. Internet not great where I am.

The mattresses are 6inch to 8 inch depending on which model it is.

The solid wood TV units are about 6ft long. I will get the listings for these updated in the morning but they are quite large.

The fabric 3 seaters are full 3 seaters. They are of the bigger type. I can’t be more precise at the min and apologies that I did not get to measure them as where they are stored was totally off limits with the snow and I am only due home tomorrow’ evening. I will try and post sizes of a similar type Sofa here at some stage tomorrow.

Hi Foxirl

I’m told the measurement for the tv units were put on the listings already this morning. Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Mick

Wheety wrote: »

I asked last week about sizes being put up for sofas but sadly to no avail.

I have asked for these to be measured for you in the morning and the listings updated but from messages received from you I think these are all too big for your needs but if so I can look for something smaller for you.

Thanks

Only see these 3 comments now. Internet not great where I am.

The mattresses are 6inch to 8 inch depending on which model it is.
    Which is which?

Ortho
    Comfort
    Pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thanks for updating the listings Mick. I understand this is something new you're trying but good to see you taking the feedback.

Which is which?

Ortho
    Comfort
    Pocket

Hi Tatranska

All the ones above are 7inch deep

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I take it the auction for this month is over?

Hoboo wrote: »
    I take it the auction for this month is over?

All the listings should close at 8pm this evening. There was a bug showing some of the items closing at 8am but that was fixed last weekend so all should finish 8 pm this evening

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Suggestion:
    Have staggered finishing times!

That way if you don't get what you are looking for, you could bid on something else.
    Especially useful if you are looking something that has multiple units available.
    Say you are looking for chairs and you bid on 1 lot and don't get it, you can't bid on another lot as they all finish at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Where do you find the reserve price for each item.

Mick. How many pockets in the king-size mattresses?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Suggestion:
    Have staggered finishing times!

That way if you don't get what you are looking for, you could bid on something else.
    Especially useful if you are looking something that has multiple units available.
    Say you are looking for chairs and you bid on 1 lot and don't get it, you can't bid on another lot as they all finish at the same time.

Thanks okidoki987

Yes, that is a good idea. Have passed it on.

Trish56 wrote: »
    Where do you find the reserve price for each item.

You don't. The reserve is never disclosed in an auction. However I can say that the reserve has been dropped on many items. Many items have met the reserve already. Auction prices are quite low so definitely loads of bargains to be had.

Thanks

Bigmickey

Mick. How many pockets in the king-size mattresses?

They range from 800 to 1200. You can have your pick of what we have.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Thanks okidoki987

Yes, that is a good idea. Have passed it on.

In addition to that, and it would solve the issue pointed out earlier in thread of what to do if you have bid on 1 of a number identical items, is to list everything with the prefix of "LOT <xx>: <Item e.g. duvet>" because it means everything will have a unique identifier which is easy to remember and spot at a glance.

Auction prices are quite low so definitely loads of bargains to be had.

I assume you meant "reserve" prices?

In addition to that, and it would solve the issue pointed out earlier in thread of what to do if you have bid on 1 of a number identical items, is to list everything with the prefix of "LOT <xx>: <Item e.g. duvet>" because it means everything will have a unique identifier which is easy to remember and spot at a glance.

Hi robyntmorton

It will be a totally different set up for next month. I suppose you have to "crawl before you walk" We have taken everyone's suggestions on board. Thanks for yours.

Bigmickey

I assume you meant "reserve" prices?

No, I meant, people don't pay big money at furniture auctions. Bids at this auction are quite low on most items. We reduced some items reserve price even further today so there are some major bargains to be had for the beady eyed bargain hunter.

Also, The Auction ends at 8pm. There won't be any extra time after 8pm. Next month we have something totally different planned.

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Advertisement

Bids at this auction are quite low on most items

But if they don't meet the reserve, they won't be sold?

We reduced some items reserve price even further today so there are some major bargains to be had for the beady eyed bargain hunter.

What items?

But if they don't meet the reserve, they won't be sold?

Exactly but everyone is welcome to make contact afterwards if there is some that remains unsold and discuss if we can reach a deal. Many auctions work this way.

Thanks

Bigmickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Trying to put in a bid on an item I've previously bid on and its not taking it, page swirls then goes back to original bid:(. Also no matter what time I go into it at, it tells me there's 23 minutes left to bid. Came out of the page, left it for a few minutes and still the same no matter how often I refresh the page.

EDIT- Accepted it in the end, just in time. Phew.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Trying to put in a bid on an item I've previously bid on and its not taking it, page swirls then goes back to original bid:(. Also no matter what time I go into it at, it tells me there's 23 minutes left to bid. Came out of the page, left it for a few minutes and still the same no matter how often I refresh the page.

You have to be logged in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!

That was a great buzz, won a few things just hope I beat the reserve.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

i won a good few things but i am guessing i only met reserve on one thing as only one thing says add to cart the rest just say closed

brightkane wrote: »
    i won a good few things but i am guessing i only met reserve on one thing as only one thing says add to cart the rest just say closed

Buzz killer.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

did you get the checkout option

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

Ok Mick I won an item, went to pay, says no shipping methods available!

Thought I’d have fun and save my last bids to the last minute. Bid on a mattress and then the site froze and didn’t get to bid on the bed.

Just noticed I didn’t get the checkout part on my €50 mattress bid anyway. Ah well, least I know what the reserve isn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Congrats on getting through this! I got sorted for a few bits but missed out on a Airsprung Comfort King Size (5ft) Quilted Mattress and three pairs of Wooden Chairs With Fabric Seat (pair). Sent you an email and if you've any excess just let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

I was highest bidder on 2 mattresses, must not have won. Shame the reserve wasn't published, that way I would have at least known if I was close. The site said low reserve, just not how low, pretty miffed Mick. Was banking on getting a good deal here.

brightkane wrote: »
    did you get the checkout option

Nope, the only thing I can see is "This auction is closed" on three items I was highest bidder on.

I could have won other items too I don't know about yet as I was bidding during the week and can't remember exactly how much I bid on what.

Some of the stuff tonight was silly cheap so I just bid anyway even though I didn't really need it.

I scored 50 metres of top quality floor tiles at a giveaway price so I'm more than happy anyway.

i think as a once off good will gesture mick should let all winnings bids to through ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

So if you don't get the checkout option then it didn't meet the reserve?
    Ah well can't win them all I suppose

epopnomis wrote: »
    I was highest bidder on 2 mattresses, must not have won. Shame the reserve wasn't published, that way I would have at least known if I was close. The site said low reserve, just not how low, pretty miffed Mick. Was banking on getting a good deal here.

Same here. Bid on a mattress. Never knew if I met the reserve and quiet frankly any offer Mick gives to those who lost, we'll never know what the real reserve was as opposed to what is wanted for an after auction sale .
    Not very transparent.

The site also froze big time in the last half hour. Obviously not enough server resources given
    This and no dimensions on a lot of items.
    It's a bit (lot) of a let down.

Add to that, no email to say I wasn't successful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Looks like I met the reserve on nothing!

trixiebust wrote: »
    Looks like I met the reserve on nothing!

Ah trixie, just keep thinking that you’ve just saved yourself money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Ah trixie, just keep thinking that you’ve just saved yourself money :)

I know - my wife always tells me that I'm a cheapskate, now she has the proof :)

Hundreds of e mails coming thick and fast + all you guys on here and many phone calls also even this late in the evening.

We will have a look at everything in the morning. If you bet the reserve (where applicable) and won the auction then you should have got an e mail with Pay Now at check out.

Just as there are loads of winners there will also be losers in this type of event. As we said from the start this was a TRAIL RUN . We have a a long association with you guys on boards. If there is something that you have an interest in and did not meet the reserve then feel free to contact us. You can pm us, post here, phone us on 043 3345488 / 086 8356888 and we will try our best to get you sorted but lets be realistic , we can't release something worth €500 for €10. We have never been greedy with any of you guys so talk to us if you want to, we won't bite.

Regards

Mick

• Advertisement
Advertisement