Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Root Canal Problems

• 06-04-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am having quite troubling time at the moment with my lower teeth. I will do my best to describe my teeth and any comments are welcome.

On my lower left hand side, I have 2 molars and 2 premolars. The molar on the end (which I will call tooth 1) had been giving me some trouble since January. I got it checked out in February and the issue is that I received a deep filling on it which got infected. I was given emergency treatment and had a temporary filling inserted. I am more than likely going to get this tooth removed as I have a wisdom tooth which is placing a lot of pressure on it and as I have poor bite, it is reckoned that my bite could improve a little from removing it too.

Now here’s the main problem - the molar beside it (I will call this tooth 2). I have unfortunately a history of grinding teeth since a child (yes I wear a splint in case you’re wondering) but one morning I woke up and a considerable chunk of the molar was in my mouth - therefore, I must have been grinding. My dentist filled the tooth and all was fine until last November when I was suffering horrendous pain and it turns out it needed a root canal.

I opted to go with the root canal procedure and the first few sessions went well. Then what happened was my dentist said there is a sinus (hope I spelled that correctly - as in a spot) and it just won’t go away. I called routinely in December, January and February to get it cleaned. I was due to go back mid-March to see the dentist but with covid-19, I got a call to say my dentist was closing the surgery which was fair enough.

Now here’s the problem. The spot/sinus just under tooth 2 is getting considerably bigger. I would say it is the size of a garden pea. Yesterday when I was brushing my teeth, it popped and a whitish/yellow fluid came out. That happened before as I wear my night splint on the lower teeth. But when it happened before, I got it checked/cleaned with my dentist.

The other point to mention is that the premolar adjacent to tooth 2 need to be filled. It has a filling in which needs replacing.

Today my gums on that side feel quite tense and sore when I touch them. The gum is a darker red colour and looks slightly more inflamed compared to the other gums.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything over the counter that I could discuss with the pharmacist about taking or would I be better getting it checked out (and where might I head to?).

Thanks so much. Really appreciate any guidance people might have on this issue. If I can add further to anything above, would be more than happy to elaborate.

D

(P.S. - my dentist is a general dentist and not an endodontist)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Hi D1234

I can’t give you any advice as to the dental problems you are experiencing but what I will say is that many/most dentists are still available over the phone or via email. In the first instance I would give your dental surgery a ring and see if you can speak to someone or leave a message, they might prescribe something for you over the phone.
    That tooth sounds like it requires an endodontist to complete the root canal when the lockdown is lifted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am having quite troubling time at the moment with my lower teeth. I will do my best to describe my teeth and any comments are welcome.

On my lower left hand side, I have 2 molars and 2 premolars. The molar on the end (which I will call tooth 1) had been giving me some trouble since January. I got it checked out in February and the issue is that I received a deep filling on it which got infected. I was given emergency treatment and had a temporary filling inserted. I am more than likely going to get this tooth removed as I have a wisdom tooth which is placing a lot of pressure on it and as I have poor bite, it is reckoned that my bite could improve a little from removing it too.

Now here’s the main problem - the molar beside it (I will call this tooth 2). I have unfortunately a history of grinding teeth since a child (yes I wear a splint in case you’re wondering) but one morning I woke up and a considerable chunk of the molar was in my mouth - therefore, I must have been grinding. My dentist filled the tooth and all was fine until last November when I was suffering horrendous pain and it turns out it needed a root canal.

I opted to go with the root canal procedure and the first few sessions went well. Then what happened was my dentist said there is a sinus (hope I spelled that correctly - as in a spot) and it just won’t go away. I called routinely in December, January and February to get it cleaned. I was due to go back mid-March to see the dentist but with covid-19, I got a call to say my dentist was closing the surgery which was fair enough.

Now here’s the problem. The spot/sinus just under tooth 2 is getting considerably bigger. I would say it is the size of a garden pea. Yesterday when I was brushing my teeth, it popped and a whitish/yellow fluid came out. That happened before as I wear my night splint on the lower teeth. But when it happened before, I got it checked/cleaned with my dentist.

The other point to mention is that the premolar adjacent to tooth 2 need to be filled. It has a filling in which needs replacing.

Today my gums on that side feel quite tense and sore when I touch them. The gum is a darker red colour and looks slightly more inflamed compared to the other gums.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything over the counter that I could discuss with the pharmacist about taking or would I be better getting it checked out (and where might I head to?).

Thanks so much. Really appreciate any guidance people might have on this issue. If I can add further to anything above, would be more than happy to elaborate.

D

(P.S. - my dentist is a general dentist and not an endodontist)

It sounds like the infection is persisting. I can't tell from your post if the root canal is fully finished?? If so this is a bad omen. If not, then there is still hope....
    A fractured tooth is another possibility, again bad for the tooth's survival....

Should you get an antibiotic?? that's a question for a dentist who's seen you and your x-rays and who knows you better than I.....
    General rule though, if the abscess/infection is already draining then you might avoid antibiotics for now... if the abscess/infection is causing a large facial swelling and not draining and maybe causing you to become systemically unwell then definitely antibiotics....

Ultimately, dentistry is done with your hands and not your pen so some operative treatment will need to happen when this Covid mess is under control...

Good luck,
    OS

Advertisement