Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Shampoo/Conditioner for softer hair

• 01-01-2010 11:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, firstly I'm male (:o!!).

My hair is a bit longer than I normally have it at the moment, but everybody tells me it looks better this way. However, as it is longer, it usually sticks up all over the place in the morning, so it's essential that I have a shower every morning in order to 'control' it. Once it's washed, it looks grand for the whole day.

What Shampoo/Conditioners work best for keeping hair soft and fresh-looking throughout the day? It doesn't have to be a male-specific shampoo (I don't think there is much difference anyway!)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

hi timbuk,

I have long hair (female tho) and I think one of the most important things to keep hair looking fresh is to have 2 different shampoos and 1 good conditioner.

I like gel shampoos (like timotei (sp?)) for hair that gets greasy fast and getting rid of product (as opposed to more "creamier" ones like pantene, head and shoulders etc).

IMO one should be a clarifying shampoo, like neutrogena (used once or twice a week) and the other a normal, frequent use shampoo. I think Elvive is also quite a good product (they also make Kerastse-a very expensive shampoo). Their conditioners are quite good.

I know this may not be an option to you, but one of THE best ways to have lovely shiny, healthy hair is to not wash it everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm using L'Oréal Elvive Smooth-Silk Intense Anti-Frizz shampoo and conditioner at the moment and it is amaaaazing, I love it! In general I don't notice much difference between the different brands, but I notice such a difference every time I use this one.

Also you can almost always get it on special offer, 2 for 1 or whatever.

I think they do a "Light" version of it too, for more frequent use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

The L'Oreal one in the pink bottle is fantastic, makes your hair like silk!
    Think its called Nutri Gloss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

The best conditioner I ever used in terms of how soft my hair felt afterwards was definitely Neutrogena Clean Conditioner. I was using it in a hotel in NY as it was what they supplied. The stuff was fantastic. Amazing result considering I have very dry, frizz prone hair. I haven't seen it here though, but I have to admit I haven't looked very hard! I still have a lot of shampoo and conditioner to use up before I go looking :(
    My friend gave me a set of Aussie Miracle Moist Shampoo and Coniditoner for Christmas and it's lovely too, gives good softness but not quite as good as the Neutrogena one! The smell is also extremely nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I just tried Pantene Ice Shine the other day and holy hell I can't believe the difference it's made to my hair, soo much softer and bounicer..first time this has ever happened with a shampoo! Oh, and I didn't condition after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

+1 for Pantene and its cheap. But I need to use shampoo and conditioner not the all in one

I try other shampoos from time to time, even the real expensive ones like Aveda, but I always go back to Pantene.

I also think its a complete myth that washing your hair everyday makes it lose its shine.

GHDs, hairdryers and hair dye eventually dry out your hair so try and use them in moderation and you should still have shiny healthy hair.

Diet also helps. Anyone I know who eats well will generally have healthy hair, skin nails etc

Hi dollie,
    I know from myself that washing it everyday makes my hair lank and dull. Even washing it twice in the shower if it doesnt need it really dulls my hair. I havent washed it now in 3 days. Im going out tonight and will wash it soon. The only thing I will used on it (bar shampoo and conditioner) will be a hair drier and the shine and bounce coming off it will be lovely!
    incidentally, it was only today, after brushing that my hair started to become greasy. Feeling it now its not even that bad. Its like over the years its trained itself not to get greasy quickly, plus the natural oils are better than any product!

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hi dollie,
    I know from myself that washing it everyday makes my hair lank and dull. Even washing it twice in the shower if it doesnt need it really dulls my hair. I havent washed it now in 3 days. Im going out tonight and will wash it soon. The only thing I will used on it (bar shampoo and conditioner) will be a hair drier and the shine and bounce coming off it will be lovely!
    incidentally, it was only today, after brushing that my hair started to become greasy. Feeling it now its not even that bad. Its like over the years its trained itself not to get greasy quickly, plus the natural oils are better than any product!

Hey dellas. Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like you were wrong. I guess we're all completely different! I feel I need to wash my hair everyday otherwise it gets really dry. Having said that I once didn't wash my hair for four days because I was travelling and couldn't believe how long I lasted. I kept it up in a high bun though and I didn't have a fringe at the time.

Anyway, I bet your hair will look gorgeous tonight! :)

Ah no dollie its just me - am a bit "hippie" when it comes to personal grooming :)

I am one of those that doesnt think its healthy to use loads of chemicals and products (and over use synthetic products).
    I dont use conventional deodorant (I use pump spray crystals) and try and not use anything with sodium laureth sulfate (or if I do use little of it-hard to get a good shampoo and conditioner tho with no SLS to foam). Most my face care stuff is organic (again its very hard to get a good moisturiser with SPF which I use everyday. Use Elizabeth Adens 8hr with SPF at the mo and creme dela mer) and I never usually wear make up (if going out just mascara and groom eyebrows and bit of lipgloss). Hhmmm. im laughing to myself as from above youd swear Id look like a hillbilly but Ive the softest,shiniest hair and the clearest skin I know of any 30 year old :D. Obviously if you smell and you are dirty, you wash, but I think if there are days when you can avoid this, it works to your advantage.

Ohh sorry for hijacking thread. Had typed all that before I knew it.

dellas1979 wrote: »

but Ive the softest,shiniest hair and the clearest skin I know of any 30 year old :D.

That doesn't surprise me, natural and organic is always best if you can get away with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

I really like Aussies 3 minute miracle conditioner (its a treatment which your only supposed use once or twice a week but I just use it as a normal conditioner and I think its great!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement