Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for buying ready-made curtains?

Options
  • 16-08-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for advice about buying ready-made curtains please?

Have one large and one narrow window in an apartment, pole lengths are 110" and 65" respectively. Drop is 88" on both to the floor. Currently have 1.5 pairs of very old curtains on these which desperately need replacing - think 90s floral pattern and not in a good way. I've been looking for some ready-made curtains and I'm drowning in a sea of measurements.

Wondering if anyone can steer me between 90x90 curtains which everywhere seems to imply could look a little "mean" or whether I need to go with 130x90 for "fullness" please? 90x90 are obviously a lot easier to find than the wider widths!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

The general recommendation is to have the curtains 1.5 - 2 times the width of the window. Given that your large window is 110" wide then 2 x 90" curtains would give little more than 1.5 times and would be fine but not luxuriously full.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

IMHO, it is not so much the width of the curtain, but the quality of the fabric and lining that gives a curtain a nice hang and full look. If at all possible, try to get a curtain with black out lining as this is much thicker than regular lining and helps a great deal in getting a full look. Alternatively, try to get interlined curtains as these also look really full.

I bought very cheap curtains for my bedroom and bought separate blackout linen which I stitched onto the back. They honestly look like a really expensive curtains because they are thick and drape really nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Readymades will save you a fortune - dont worry about looking mean! Plus you can often get lucky and buy fancy curtsins in charity shops - if you have the time and patience to search. But if you already have 80's floral offcasts maybe stick to buying!The ladies in hockeyd /homestore are always so helpful in making suggestions and if you buy there they will do adjustments for you (for a fee)-might be well worth talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I had 2 sets of ready mades 130 x 90 in my sitting room for years and they were really good quality. They were not cheap (around 180 each when I bought them 10 years ago) but were a lot less than made to measure. 130 x 90 is not hatd to get.

Harry Corry have some decent ones, but Kavanaghs in Fonthill have some really good quality heavy lined curtains for good prices.

Advertisement