Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2020 Fingal Constituency

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Aspiring Fingal TD Gemma O Doherty parked in a disabled bay in Balrothery tonight. Classy.

EO57rvKXkAEeuTd?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    Aspiring Fingal TD Gemma O Doherty parked in a disabled bay in Balrothery tonight. Classy....]
    Just had to 'Pop In' for a minute. How appropriate. :D

They had a local TD for about 20 years when most of the development in the peninsula took place.
    .....and I forgot about Paddy Burke who was a local TD there from the 1940's to the 1970's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Mulligan posters make Clare Daly look like the ghost of his doting dead aunt or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

L1011 wrote: »
    The Mulligan posters make Clare Daly look like the ghost of his doting dead aunt or something.

was laughing at the poster today, looks like Daly is stalking him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

squawker wrote: »
    was laughing at the poster today, looks like Daly is stalking him :pac:

The best line I saw on this was that she looks like his guardian angel :D

I will not be voting for FF or FG, would be a bit sickened if Darragh O'Brien tops the poll but at the same time, not surprised. A FF-led government would be atrocious for Fingal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

James Reilly paid a visit to my doorstep, said let Malahide take care of Farrell and everyone else should vote for him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Be interesting to see if James Reilly gets a boost from the hospital getting planning permission. I think any FG votes would be more likely to go to him than Farrell. Farrell is anonymous and ineffectual, along with the whole insurance thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

Uriel. wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if James Reilly gets a boost from the hospital getting planning permission. I think any FG votes would be more likely to go to him than Farrell. Farrell is anonymous and ineffectual, along with the whole insurance thing.
    The hospital is a private hospital built with private money nothing to do with Reilly he is piggybacking off it after his last promise never came to fruition

sidcon wrote: »
    The hospital is a private hospital built with private money nothing to do with Reilly he is piggybacking off it after his last promise never came to fruition

Of course, but he's got good association with it, whereas Farrell has what exactly?

The thing that pisses me off about the hospital is that Reilly unreservedly states that once built government should be forced to engage with and provide support/business to it.

If he's elected you can see him Lobbying hard on that and tbh it's pure shameful. I'd love the see population health projections that says we need a hospital in Swords and importantly how far up the priority list for funding something like that should be. I'd wager it would be considerably low on the list of priorities for funding.

• Advertisement

...The thing that pisses me off about the hospital is that Reilly unreservedly states that once built government should be forced to engage with and provide support/business to it....
    Perhaps he means that there should be more engagement with private operators to alleviate the bed/trolley crisis. The HSE have a set rate that they offer to private operators but it is not economically viable to the private operator. The HSE would seem to prefer to spend multiple times that set rate keeping 'bed blockers' in large acute hospitals rather than offer a cent extra to the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As a Fingal resident I despair at the candidates on offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

lawred2 wrote: »
    As a Fingal resident I despair at the candidates on offer...

Agreed!

SF - Party of Opposition for now, with pre-school level economic policy
    FF - Ruined the country in the recent past, cannot forgive or forget
    Greens - Could vote for them, but unlikely to have much impact
    FG - Not covered themselves in glory recently, but did do the needful after the crash. Could vote for them.
    INDs - All in it for themselves
    SD/PBP - simply not credible, either of them.

Perhaps he means that there should be more engagement with private operators to alleviate the bed/trolley crisis. The HSE have a set rate that they offer to private operators but it is not economically viable to the private operator. The HSE would seem to prefer to spend multiple times that set rate keeping 'bed blockers' in large acute hospitals rather than offer a cent extra to the private sector.

A set rate for what?

A set rate for what?
    Nursing care in a private hospital/nursing home etc.

(Many of the patients taking up beds in acute hospitals do not need that level of care and could be catered for elsewhere freeing up badly needed acute beds.)

Nursing care in a private hospital/nursing home etc.

(Many of the patients taking up beds in acute hospitals do not need that level of care and could be catered for elsewhere freeing up badly needed acute beds.)

That's nursing homes. And long term care is funded by the NTPF. Short stay care for aimed at hospital egress is almost exclusively provided in private nursing homes, paid for by the HSE (tax payer) @ the same NTPF negotiated rates. The private sector gets circa half a billion euro per annum in this way.
    So to be honest I don't know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

FF seems to be the only major party not committed to the Swords Metro project. It's not mentioned in their manifesto which means you can be sure is the kiss of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

plodder wrote: »
    FF seems to be the only major party not committed to the Swords Metro project. It's not mentioned in their manifesto which means you can be sure is the kiss of death.

What is FFs long standing issue with public transport?

Their only real interests seem to lie in building roads

How much will the geography of the constituency play out? Looking at where the current TD's are living:

O'Brien - Malahide
    Farrell - Malahide

O'Brien - Skerries
    O'Reilly - Skerries
    Ryan - Skerries

We know Ryan is not running but you would have to think Swords is going to elect a TD in a 5 seater. Some people have a party allegiance but a lot of people also like to support a candidate from their own area.

Tony Murphy will poll very well in Balbriggan but whether he has a big enough profile elsewhere in the constituency remains to be seen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

When did we last have a Swords TD? Ray Burke?

I think Michael Kennedy (FF) had his office there. Slightly off-topic, but I remember him canvassing at my parents' house. I was about 28. When I opened the door he asked if my Mammy or Daddy were home. To which I replied, "well, they are, but I'm 28 and you've just lost my vote!"

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    When did we last have a Swords TD? Ray Burke?

I think Michael Kennedy (FF) had his office there. Slightly off-topic, but I remember him canvassing at my parents' house. I was about 28. When I opened the door he asked if my Mammy or Daddy were home. To which I replied, "well, they are, but I'm 28 and you've just lost my vote!"

Claire Daly lest we forget ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh yes, I did forget she actually lives in Swords.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Even though I said I'd never vote for Labour again after the last time they were in government, I was coming around to the idea of giving Duncan Smith a vote as I've heard a lot of positive things about him.

However Brendan Howlin soon put a stop to that when he ruled out going in to coalition with Sinn Fein on the leaders debate. I find that baffling as Labour are probably more ideologically aligned to Sinn Fein than FG or FF.

PWEI wrote: »
    Even though I said I'd never vote for Labour again after the last time they were in government, I was coming around to the idea of giving Duncan Smith a vote as I've heard a lot of positive things about him.

However Brendan Howlin soon put a stop to that when he ruled out going in to coalition with Sinn Fein on the leaders debate. I find that baffling as Labour are probably more ideologically aligned to Sinn Fein than FG or FF.
    If you were watching the debate you know that the parties won't give sinn fein a go for reasons other than their primary policies. Including their governance and decision making processes and their position on non-jury courts.

Exactly wrote: »
    How much will the geography of the constituency play out? Looking at where the current TD's are living:

O'Brien - Malahide
    Farrell - Malahide

O'Brien - Skerries
    O'Reilly - Skerries
    Ryan - Skerries

We know Ryan is not running but you would have to think Swords is going to elect a TD in a 5 seater. Some people have a party allegiance but a lot of people also like to support a candidate from their own area.

Tony Murphy will poll very well in Balbriggan but whether he has a big enough profile elsewhere in the constituency remains to be seen.
    James Reilly has a 'residence' in Rush (not Skerries) but didn't he move 'down the country' somewhere (Tipperary??). I recall a bit of controversy a few years ago about the fact that he didn't live in the constituency so he bought a house in Rush to tick the box as such.

James Reilly has a 'residence' in Rush (not Skerries) but didn't he move 'down the country' somewhere (Tipperary??). I recall a bit of controversy a few years ago about the fact that he didn't live in the constituency so he bought a house in Rush to tick the box as such.

Louise O'Reilly lives in Skerries. James Reilly isn't a TD currently.

Exactly wrote: »
    Louise O'Reilly lives in Skerries. James Reilly isn't a TD currently.
    Doh! My bad - didn't read the post correctly. Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

Yeah, Swords not having its own TD maybe explains why nobody has been championing the Metro to the extent that they should. It's one of those things, that if it gets built the public won't know themselves, but in order to be built, people have to fight for it. The thing is that the Swords metro will benefit the whole surrounding region by taking thousands of cars off the roads, even in places where people won't use the Metro directly themselves. Other parts of the country that I know well wouldn't be as apathetic as this. I find it hard to understand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sinn Fein doing themselves no favours nationally by co-opting Martina Anderson as an MLA. About as rabid an apologist for the IRA as they come.
    Every time they appoint quality representatives (like Louise O Reilly) and start to appeal to a greater audience some one seems to feel its important to get some violent head the balls back to the forefront....

• Advertisement

FWIW my take for the 5 seats are

Joe O Brien Green to top the poll
    Lousie O Reilly SF
    Darragh O Brien FF
    Duncan Smith Labour
    and the final seat to be fought out between the two FG candidates with it being a toss up.

Advertisement