Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tesco coming to Swords R125

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Roll it on, Swords badly need a decent store, Dunnes, Superquinn are too small & it opening 24/7 would be an added bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Ok so what is it that you can't get in Dunnes, Superquinn, Jc's or the upcoming Lidl, that you will be able to get in tesco?

Everything after 8pm Mon-Wed, After 10pm Thurs-Fri.............

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is the Fingal website down? I can't get onto it in either Firefox or IE.

Terrible road for a big centre like that - traffic is already awful on it. But we know Fingal is not great thinking about traffic issues in advance - the Rathbeale road is a mess even from the building of Lidl.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Ok so what is it that you can't get in Dunnes, Superquinn, Jc's or the upcoming Lidl, that you will be able to get in tesco?

24 hour shopping?(except booze after off licence hours)
    Petrol?

Well the Swords Main Street has gone to pot already so it won't effect that unless they are planning to enter the betting or gold trade. I can't see Harvey Norman liking it too much having a Tesco that size near them, we already had Peats going belly up yesterday and Harvey Norman have never made a profit in Ireland.

The mantra of "Jobs Jobs Jobs" will be repeated by the cllrs so say they already signed off on this for the photo ops before the 2013 local elections even do most likely Tesco will just take existing trade and jobs in the long run. Its getting a bit like the UK model here were you pass one after another Tesco until they choke all the competition in an area to become Tesco Towns. Good for shareholders not so good in the long run for local shopper choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Pinkypinky - I cant get on it via PC or through my phone so it must be down.

What did we ever do without 24h shopping eh :rolleyes: Its a wonder any of us survived to tell the tale!

Edit - I'm not sure if it will have a petrol station. Dont remember seeing a mention of one. Wouldnt be too sure on that one.

Pinkypinky - I cant get on it via PC or through my phone so it must be down.

What did we ever do without 24h shopping eh :rolleyes: Its a wonder any of us survived to tell the tale!

Edit - I'm not sure if it will have a petrol station. Dont remember seeing a mention of one. Wouldnt be too sure on that one.

If its the size of Clarehall as you say it is, it will have one near, maybe around the corner like Drogheda, within a 1-2 years of opening. Gets all those Taxi men in for the 5 am shopping:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

24 hour shopping?(except booze after off licence hours)
    Petrol?

Well the Swords Main Street has gone to pot already so it won't effect that unless they are planning to enter the betting or gold trade. I can't see Harvey Norman liking it too much having a Tesco that size near them, we already had Peats going belly up yesterday and Harvey Norman have never made a profit in Ireland.

The mantra of "Jobs Jobs Jobs" will be repeated by the cllrs so say they already signed off on this for the photo ops before the 2013 local elections even do most likely Tesco will just take existing trade and jobs in the long run. Its getting a bit like the UK model here were you pass one after another Tesco until they choke all the competition in an area to become Tesco Towns. Good for shareholders not so good in the long run for local shopper choice.
    What on earth have harvey Norman and tesco got in common?

Kiera wrote: »

Non food

Non food
    You're kidding right? The tesco store will have no impact on Harvey Norman at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You're kidding right? The tesco store will have no impact on Harvey Norman at all.

Anytime I am buying tvs/electrical/pc type items I always check tesco prices as well as DID, PC World and Harvey Norman, Tesco can be very competitive.

Stheno wrote: »

Anytime I am buying tvs/electrical/pc type items I always check tesco prices as well as DID, PC World and Harvey Norman, Tesco can be very competitive.
    Yeah if you're looking for crap brands. Tesco won't touch the Harvey Norman business.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah if you're looking for crap brands. Tesco won't touch the Harvey Norman business.

Pc/laptop wise and kitchen appliance wise (mixers/smoothie makers and those countertop type devices) I definitely wouldn't agree.

Tesco sell the same brands as HN in a lot of instances.

Why? Tesco sell LG, Samsung and the likes in there TV section for example, I'm sure sales of those products if priced better than HN will take business away.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Heard about this last week. Great news.

The Tescos in Clarehall can be very intimidating with all the loitering from kids in the surrounding areas.

Feel sorry for Spar in Holywell though, can't imagine that staying open much longer if Tescos opens up.

Stheno wrote: »
    Pc/laptop wise and kitchen appliance wise (mixers/smoothie makers and those countertop type devices) I definitely wouldn't agree.

Tesco sell the same brands as HN in a lot of instances.

Not to forget cameras, games consoles, games, DVDs, print centre service etc

Not to forget cameras, games consoles, games, DVDs, print centre service etc

Yep, and the staff aren't hanging around you like a bad rash the way they do in HN!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Great news, can anyone put out a guess as to when they'll start looking for employees? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

Where does it say that it'll be a Tesco store? I couldn't see it mentioned in the on line application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Isn't Dunnes in the Pavillion open 24/7 as well? Or maybe only at certain peak periods - I know for a fact they are in the run up to Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

They used to be, I think the latest they're open now is 10pm!
    *edit* Yup: 10pm http://www.dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Great news, can anyone put out a guess as to when they'll start looking for employees? :p

I do go on about this a bit but it will seriously affect smaller shops in the swords area. They will eventually close down, resulting in increased unemployment and empty units.

Tesco already in Swords, Balbriggan, Rush, Clarehall as well as dunnes, superquinn, jcs and lidl. Talk about saturation!

I get that Tesco provide a service that's in demand but I really don't see the need for one in Swords. The long term impact on the town will be terrible.

Oh well.

I do go on about this a bit but it will seriously affect smaller shops in the swords area. They will eventually close down, resulting in increased unemployment and empty units.

Tesco already in Swords, Balbriggan, Rush, Clarehall as well as dunnes, superquinn, jcs and lidl. Talk about saturation!

I get that Tesco provide a service that's in demand but I really don't see the need for one in Swords. The long term impact on the town will be terrible.

Oh well.

:confused: Walk down main street today and look at the empty units already there, the units that are occupied will not be affected to badly by Tesco opening IMHO as there doesn't seem to be anything that would be in direct competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

For the record, Clare Hall (Tesco part only) is 5,452 sqm (including stores)

This Tesco can't be bigger than 2,500sqm (not including stores) due to the nature of the zoning of the land.

The complete development is only 5,390sqm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Either way, don't need it or want it. There's a Dunnes 15 mins walk away and Clarehall is 10 mins drive away. It'll never go ahead because they can't grant permission ahead of the ring road being in place. Which, whilst they have approved funds for it allegedly, have done nothing so far about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'd prefer if they opened a smaller store somewhere around the Main St. say in the old Taylor's Hardware unit. As others have said the Main St. is a ghost town and it would be a much needed draw. But instead we'll just have more edge-city style sprawl. Yay Swords. It breaks my heart to say this but Swords has turned into a dirty old kip and I won't miss it when I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd prefer if they opened a smaller store somewhere around the Main St. say in the old Taylor's Hardware unit. As others have said the Main St. is a ghost town and it would be a much needed draw. But instead we'll just have more edge-city style sprawl. Yay Swords. It breaks my heart to say this but Swords has turned into a dirty old kip and I won't miss it when I leave.

My thoughts exactly on every point. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

tesco is a rip off!! don't know why you's want one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm thinking they shouldn't give permission for any new retail developments as long as there are empty units in the main street.

I moved to Swords in the early 80s and there wasn't a lot in the town, then it grew and we got everything we needed so it's sad to see the main street being neglected. And the Plaza was such a beautiful shopping area, now it's shabby and dirty. Shame on the planners and the county council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I'm thinking they shouldn't give permission for any new retail developments as long as there are empty units in the main street.

I moved to Swords in the early 80s and there wasn't a lot in the town, then it grew and we got everything we needed so it's sad to see the main street being neglected. And the Plaza was such a beautiful shopping area, now it's shabby and dirty. Shame on the planners and the county council.

it's just like how generations change, well our shopping has changed. This is the way of the future, small shops are out, large and mass produced is in. Couldn't you tell it was going that way already?

It's like music, out with the old and in with the new.. Though of course some classics will live forever, same goes for shops.:)

Advertisement