Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Workman's Club

Options
  • 06-02-2020 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I'm off the drink for a few months due to exams. So I wanted a big night out when I finish. Looking for a decent club/bar. So what's the workmans club like?? Is it full of weirdos?? Is it usually busy on a Friday night?? What type of music do they play??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

One of the cities more lively bars, if not liveliest, for young people. Complete opposite of simialir age-group bars on Harcourt street. Good selection of music, several dance areas and a big smoking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I'm off the drink for a few months due to exams. So I wanted a big night out when I finish. Looking for a decent club/bar. So what's the workmans club like?? Is it full of weirdos?? Is it usually busy on a Friday night?? What type of music do they play??

Berlin D2 on Dame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Depends what your idea of a weirdo is though? It's usually quite busy for a Friday so would be lively. The music is a mix of indie, rock, and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Cheers guys. Well I'm actually early 30's so don't want a place too young.
    Weirdo's is prob the wrong word to use. I was just asking if there is strange vibe to the place. I didn't want to sound too judgemental.
    Would it be similar vibe to the old Bernard Shaw?? I really liked that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Weirdo's is prob the wrong word to use. I was just asking if there is strange vibe to the place. I didn't want to sound too judgemental.

Yeah, it's like a Bernard Shaw / Whelan's. There's two floors, ground floor has a concert venue. Smoking area upstairs has a WOW Burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Augme

If you are early 30s you'll feel like an OAP in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Good spot, been twice myself. I was there on a Saturday and it was packed, not sure about Friday though. Regardless, if you want a late bar with more alternative and indie music and not too student(ish) you'll like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

Im going to be down in Dublin on Friday,spotted that theres a big 80s night on in there.Ive never been to the workmans so thinking of heading in.Again my only concern is age,im in my mid 30s,so dont want to look like jimmy Saville walking around the place either.

One other thing, post work drinks on a friday ,wheres a good place to start around Dame street,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Augme wrote: »
    If you are early 30s you'll feel like an OAP in there.

We (both early 40s) randomly attempted to go there for a drink around 10pm on a Thursday evening last year just to go somewhere different for a change and the doorman said "not tonight lads". First time in 20 years of going out on a weekly basis in Dublin that this was said to me and we were definitely not drunk and were neatly dressed. I'm guessing from reading above, they were deliberately targeting younger clientele and didn't want old fogeys cramping the style. While I'm not particularly enamored drinking in a place were everyone looks young enough to be my children, I don't think that heavy handed refusal approach by doormen should be taken as it's blatant discrimination.

The bouncer looked about 25 and may have had another reason for refusal but it just seemed odd....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Workmans Club is Hipster Central. If you don’t fit the young, “hip,” and trendy image you will either stick out like a sore thumb or even get refused entry.

A few years ago (before I stopped drinking) I was there with a couple of mates after we were in town for dinner at a nearby restaurant and one of the punters there laughed at us then we were talking about 1990s music as he reminded us, rather smugly, that he was only born halfway through the decade...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ongarboy wrote: »
    We (both early 40s) randomly attempted to go there for a drink around 10pm on a Thursday evening last year just to go somewhere different for a change and the doorman said "not tonight lads". First time in 20 years of going out on a weekly basis in Dublin that this was said to me and we were definitely not drunk and were neatly dressed. I'm guessing from reading above, they were deliberately targeting younger clientele and didn't want old fogeys cramping the style. While I'm not particularly enamored drinking in a place were everyone looks young enough to be my children, I don't think that heavy handed refusal approach by doormen should be taken as it's blatant discrimination.

The bouncer looked about 25 and may have had another reason for refusal but it just seemed odd....

I wouldn't worry about it, I was in there a few years ago probably 35/36 years old and everyone looked like children to me. Like really young. It's an uncomfortable environment for me that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We (both early 40s) randomly attempted to go there for a drink around 10pm on a Thursday evening last year just to go somewhere different for a change and the doorman said "not tonight lads".

If a barman tried this ‘not tonight lads’ with me without explanation my reply is just “ok, let’s make that not ANY night”....and I’d stick to it.

It’s not or should not be difficult to have a sensible door policy WITH capable and courteous door staff to enforce it.

The blueprint I always found was a certain pub on Harry St. who I think to me had a bunch of guys who greeted you courteously and respectfully, might have instigated a chat just to ensure you were alright and throughout the night would discretely yet with regularity just walk through the bar having a look see. Anyone being a little rambunctious would get a quiet warning, although the very rare times things might get out of hand or violent those guys could despite reasonably advanced vintages diffuse and dispose of the culprits with excellent efficiency. The blueprint I always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Haha, exact same thing happened to myself and a mate, tried to drop in after a gig. Not tonight lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Birneybau wrote: »
    Haha, exact same thing happened to myself and a mate, tried to drop in after a gig. Not tonight lads...

It's a club/pub aimed at an 18 to 25 hipster studenty set so it's not a surprising response.

Advertisement