Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election 2020 Fingal Constituency

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

True and the reason I didn't vote for them is I think their policies are unachievable, populist and will harm the country.

Also while they have some decent people that poor seems extremely shallow with some of the revelations about their candidates since. I think the treatment of Hoolahan in comparison to some elected TDs since very poor form.

Nothing to do with their past. Other alternatives to FFG out there

That is the usual spin we get from all parties. There were a lot of promises ok and I dont know where they will fund it from.

They have some very decent people ok. I didnt follow the comments from Hoolhan. Nor did I put much pass on the outcry over other comments from TDs. I take with a pinch of salt what our media report.
    RobFowl wrote: »
    FWIW health is particular interest of mine and one where i have a degree of expertise. SF's policies here are more achievable and actually better funded and mindful of the resources available than either FG or FF's.
    Thats my 2 cents worth and i would traditionally be a Labour supporter.

Health and housing are key elelments for anybody looking to get into power. Health is a disaster. What people are put through is wrong on every level. I have some experience of looking for services and it is shameful what some families have to go through. We(my family) are far the worst so I can only imagine what some have to do.

Up to now I would have always voted for Darragh O'Brien who I have always found a very honest and decent person, and Brendan Ryan. However I think Michael Martin is damaging the party. Young people are finding it hard to connect with him.

I think it is time for an all party Government. We have some excellent people in politics but they tow the party line and wont go against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

The only reason for voting SF rather than Green, SD or Labour is because you fell for the bull about free stuff that someone else will pay for.

Simply not true. Certainly in my case. I voted SF because I wanted FF and FG to get a wake up call and after decades of frustration this was the only way to do it. And the fact that many, like you, in FG and FF don't see that is worrying. FFG are very lucky that Sf didn't win a few more seats enabling them to take power convincingly. FFG have an opportunity now to really learn from what the people are telling them and they could turn this around to everyone's benefit. But are they listening??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Simply not true. Certainly in my case. I voted SF because I wanted FF and FG to get a wake up call and after decades of frustration this was the only way to do it. And the fact that many, like you, in FG and FF don't see that is worrying. FFG are very lucky that Sf didn't win a few more seats enabling them to take power convincingly. FFG have an opportunity now to really learn from what the people are telling them and they could turn this around to everyone's benefit. But are they listening??

Well put.

I dont think they are listening. They are in denial of sorts. With the crap out of Veradker, Martin, Flanagan and the rest over the last 2 weeks they are oblivious to what is happening to people and the daily struggles families have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

koutoubia wrote: »
    Good points Leo.
    That poster is also forgetting how FFG are conviently not acting on the atrocities that happened in Mother and Baby homes in Tuam and Bessboro where mass graves of dead babies exist.
    I am not defending Republican or Loyalist murders but all parties have questions to answer that they would prefer to be asked.
    What an utterly ridiculous comparison! Well done!

Unlike Sinn Fein's support for IRA murders, nobody in this election voted for anyone who supported the atrocities carried out in Tuam and Bessboro!!

LeoB wrote: »
    The reason for voting SF and for other was to get change. People are sick of the status quo which is delivering nothing for families who are struggling but the people we had in power were so far removed from reality they couldnt see it and wouldnt listen, they were not allowed.

Thanks for the replies although it didnt quite answer my question. As I said, absolutely everyone is entitled to vote how they want. I just find it incomprehensible that you'd pick SF over the Greens, SD or Labour. The "someone else will pay for it" BS they come out with, I believe, plays to a big audience.

According to the OECD, Ireland has the most progressive income tax system in the EU and the second most progressive in the OECD. That means the well paid pay a higher proportion of tax here than in most countries and the least well paid pay very little tax. Yet you'll hear a Shinner nut saying the rich pay no tax here because of loopholes and the nonsense is believed! Denis O'Brien absconding to Malta or Portugal or the Caribbean or wherever he went to has a lot to answer for!

I don't understand how people in Fingal say things are really crap now like you two, as a small example. I have reasonable knowledge of schools in Balbriggan, Skerries and Rush and they seem very good. My owns kids go there, and I have every confidence they will do good Leavings due to their own hard work and some great teachers, and a great philosophy. Then, because the economy is doing well, and we have such high employment levels, the world will be their oyster. Jobs galore. Work rewarded.

Why would you potentially throw that away by giving Marxist Sinn Fein power.
    Why not vote Greens, Labour, Social Democrats is you're sick of FF and FG?

Amazing how so many people can afford to go on holidays, can afford cars (often 2 per household), can afford to go to pubs and restaurants regularly, yet still complain that they have it really tough! Do they never speak to their parents and grandparents? Or are they just annoyed because their neighbour has a bigger car and goes on more holidays?

LeoB wrote: »
    Who really gives the orders to FF/FG? Big business Id say. Lets start with looking at the family tree of the Tainaiste, his links and various family roles in big business and media. Id say before any decision is taken by FG/FF they are talks with their unelected executives in party HQ.

You have to commend Sinn Fein's wall to wall Facebook posts and how they hit home with the masses.

I'm just after seeing a post my cousin (big SF supporter because he thinks at 26 he should have his own house, despite losing his job for being caught drink driving in the company van!) liked and shared. This is presumably where Leo is coming from above in saying that Sinn Fein being led by unelected members of the old IRA council is the same as FG or FF having family members is "big business" and media. ("big business" being those bad feckers who provide so much employment and taxes to the country!)

The FB post being:
    "RTE bailed out with 50 million additional taxpayers money and their Head of Strategy is Simon Coveney's brother and that doesn't create a very transparent way for a National Broadcaster to handle an election"

Rory Coveney is one of 10 directors that RTE have. Not the most senior by any means. But FG should presumably have let our national broadcaster go down the tubes to be seen to be independent!

And RTE's documentaries on the failures of the health and housing in recent years is completely ignored by those who shout blue murder when SF are asked a hard question on economics or the murky past - they must be biased!!

Advertisement