Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sign on ?

Options
  • 24-10-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

My
    Young lad finished college PLC COURSE last
    Year , nothing doing as regards , work , prefers to work at a trade , has tried out a few trades and has an interest in one. Presently he cannot get an apprenticeship due to covid etc. He is 19 living at home , is there or should be go and sign on at social welfare / thinking , job seekers / starting to get credits!? For his future , appreciate any advice
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

If he is actively seeking work, then he should sign-on jobseekers, along with proof of seeking work. Pronto!
    They'll probably refer him to Solas/Fas whatever it's called for opportunities. He should be training/studying at his age. Though not clear how they are operating under C19.

I suggest you sit down and talk to him patiently, explain that he has to do something with his life, rather than wait for something to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

zell12 wrote: »
    If he is actively seeking work, then he should sign-on jobseekers, along with proof of seeking work. Pronto!
    They'll probably refer him to Solas/Fas whatever it's called for opportunities. He should be training/studying at his age. Though not clear how they are operating under C19.

I suggest you sit down and talk to him patiently, explain that he has to do something with his life, rather than wait for something to happen

He did two PLC COURSES only 2 years left school. Had a couple jobs on holidays , paid tax etc , he was trying out as a plumber apprentice last Month , but as of now like everyone else he doesn’t know how things will pan out with covid ...just wondered was there any point in registering

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Well yes, how is he surviving without income?
    At least if he's in 'the system', he will have more opportunities than waiting for an apprenticeship to appear.

Maybe some other boardsie can advise

At least if he's in 'the system', he will have more opportunities than waiting for an apprenticeship to appear.

Well I suppose like most students the parents / guardians pay !? When kids go to college . He worked summer jobs , think that’s fairly normal??

Will he get money ? He lives with his father .
    Doubt it , presume means tested , thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

He can apply online, its easy enough. As he is under 25 and living at home then yes his parents income will be means tested but he should still get some payment. Details of parents income and bank statements will be requested so have them ready. Applying online he will also be asked for photo ID and proof of address (if he doesnt have a PSC card).

tringle wrote: »
    He can apply online, its easy enough. As he is under 25 and living at home then yes his parents income will be means tested but he should still get some payment. Details of parents income and bank statements will be requested so have them ready. Applying online he will also be asked for photo ID and proof of address (if he doesnt have a PSC card).

Thanks is that job seekers he is to apply for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

If he's available for work, fit for work and actively seeking work, then that's the payment for which he may be eligible.

He's a bit young to be applying for the OAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ttsnar

If he was been paid by the plumber and no work due to Covid , he can apply for the PUP.

If he's available for work, fit for work and actively seeking work, then that's the payment for which he may be eligible.

He's a bit young to be applying for the OAP!

Ok I just wasn’t sure should be just register or apply for the job seekers thanks

• Advertisement

ttsnar wrote: »
    If he was been paid by the plumber and no work due to Covid , he can apply for the PUP.

No he was just trying it out and he likes it .
    The plumber is now unable to do anything due to covid / level 5. He intimated that he will take him on if he survives this lockdown. .
    I think no harm for him to register anyway thanks for help

Yep. He will get Jobseekers benefit if he has enough PRSI contributions paid in 2018 ehich i doubt he has. So Jobseekers allowance which is means tested.
    All applications are now moving online, no more paper forms and going to the local office to meet with someone.

Yep. He will get Jobseekers benefit if he has enough PRSI contributions paid in 2018 ehich i doubt he has. So Jobseekers allowance which is means tested.
    All applications are now moving online, no more paper forms and going to the local office to meet with someone.

Ah thank you , no your right I would not think he has enough prsi with summer / hol work.
    Is the means tested just on his funds ?
    He had a couple grand from over the years family presents etc. . His parents are divorced recently Will their independent savings be examined as part of his application , thks

Ah thank you , no your right I would not think he has enough prsi with summer / hol work.
    Is the means tested just on his funds ?
    He had a couple grand from over the years family presents etc. . His parents are divorced recently Will their independent savings be examined as part of his application , thks

The income of a parent will be assessed only if he is living with them. This applies to anyone 25 and under. He also gets a lower rate if living with a parent as his living costs are lower.
    Having a few thousand in the bank is okay but he might be asked where it came from.

The income of a parent will be assessed only if he is living with them. This applies to anyone 25 and under. He also gets a lower rate if living with a parent as his living costs are lower.
    Having a few thousand in the bank is okay but he might be asked where it came from.

Ok so thanks it was from communions present from family for birthdays etc , as I retired recently the bit of a gratuity I will put any chance of him getting few Bob gone I’d presume.
    Bit of a joke few Bob I get as a gratuity for peace of mind for the rest of my life , I’m supposed to dribble it away looking after another adult ... I dunno ... thks anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Ok so thanks it was from communions present from family for birthdays etc , as I retired recently the bit of a gratuity I will put any chance of him getting few Bob gone I’d presume.
    Bit of a joke few Bob I get as a gratuity for peace of mind for the rest of my life , I’m supposed to dribble it away looking after another adult ... I dunno ... thks anyways

You can check out the means assessment here

Thank you

Step 1, add together your parents' net income from all sources. (Net income is your gross income less income tax, PRSI, Universal Social Charge, private health insurance contribution, superannuation and union dues).

For example, your parents' net income includes income from:

Insurable employment
    Self-employment
    Community Employment (CE) schemes and Further Education and Training (FET) training allowances
    Maintenance payments
    An occupational pension
    All social welfare payments with the exception of the following: Fuel Allowance, Child Benefit, Domiciliary Care Allowance and Carer's Support Grant.
    All Health Service Executive Payments with the exception of the following: Blind Welfare Allowance and Foster Care Allowance.
    Net income from property other than the family home. So, for example, rental income (less expenses such as mortgage repayments, insurance costs and repairs) is taken into account. The capital value of property is not taken into account.
    Capital assessment: Capital usually includes saving, investments and property (other than your home). Capital which belongs to your parents is not taken into account in the assessment of benefit and privilege.

Step 2, deduct the following from your parent’s net income to get their assessable income:

Rent or mortgage repayments
    Standard weekly allowance of €600 for a two-parent family or €470 for a one-parent family
    €30 for each child up to 18 years of age and for all children over 18 years in full-time education. However, you cannot deduct €30 for a child who is getting a social welfare payment in his/her own right. For example, if there is a child 17 years of age and getting Disability Allowance in the household, you cannot deduct €30 from parental weekly income for this child. The child's social welfare payment is not included as income.
    Step 3, after you have calculated your parents' assessable income, get 34% of this income. Only 34% of

OMG LADS , you would need a degree in maths to understand all this. This must be done to put people off applying .
    Question. I’m divorced , young lad lives with me 90 percent of time. Lives from my resources. No maintenance etc.
    We gave up trying to do it online.. you have an option to put in one parents details , or two ???

Which should you put ? The hassle trying to find out what I earned is another big operation , I wonder is an appointment at the intreo office a helpful meeting to assist ? Or , just same questions as on line , asked by a human ? Thks

Advertisement