Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass on cycle lanes

Options
  • 27-10-2020 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up in case it's going on in your area too.

I've had a few other people mention they have come across this and two of us ended up with flat wheels.

I had the issue around Citywest / Tallaght. Dublin City Centre Lucan and Blanchardstown I've heard as well.

Absolute bastards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

What's going on in your area? Your saying someone is intentionally breaking glass and putting out one the cycle lanes?

Not sure what your suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What's going on in your area? Your saying someone is intentionally breaking glass and putting out one the cycle lanes?

Not sure what your suggesting?

Ya I think its been left there on purpose. Any time I've seen or heard about it its happening in an area where its gonna do damage.

Hasn't been one off either been going on a while. It was cleared away around the corner from me and is back again.

I'm only mentioning it in case others end up on wrong end of it like I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Schwalbe Marathon Plus is yer only man for cycling around our fair city.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,120 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ya I think its been left there on purpose. Any time I've seen or heard about it its happening in an area where its gonna do damage.
    There's no area of a cycleway where glass fragments won't do damage.
    Hasn't been one off either been going on a while. It was cleared away around the corner from me and is back again.
    This is a perennial problem with cycleways. Roads that carry motor traffic are pretty effectively cleared of glass fragments and similar debris by the combined action of rain and car tyres - car tyres are designed to spray surface water sideways, which moves the debris as well. Unfortunately they tend to clear by shifting stuff to the margin of the road, which is where a lot of cycleways are.

Cycleways need to be kept clear by much more regular sweeping than roads generally require. Otherwise there's a fairly steady build-up of glass and other problematic debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KevRossi wrote: »
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus is yer only man for cycling around our fair city.

Not in tallaght.

There's an issue with the off road cycle tracks that attract teens drinking. Decent tyres will get you through the first and second smashed Smirnoff bottle but by the 6th you're fooked.

Went through a period of new broken bottles near daily. Got better though. Report it to the SDCC roads section via fixyourstreet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭duffmann

Another reason why we need a glass bottle deposit scheme. I see our canal drinkers smashing bottles regularly as I cycle by. If they knew that the bottles were worth something, they might think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.fixyourstreet.ie/ is good for reporting these for targetting by local council.

Advertisement