Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Drivers Cooler Bag Row

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Proof ? Evidence ? Amy kind of rationale behind that vision ?

Given that a suitably trained parrot could operate a LUAS right now, and that the London DLR is automated - as are many others worldwide - 7 to 1-0 years may have been an overestimation.

Endo doesnt deal in facts, they're more of a feelings person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

amcalester wrote: »
    Endo doesnt deal in facts, they're more of a feelings person.

Fair point!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a self driving tram in Potsdam near Berlin

Still has a driver but it drives itself

Dusseldorf when the trams are underground they drive themselves and not uncommon to see a driver eat lunch while the tram is whizzing along...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

hastening their own demise

• Advertisement

I'm assuming that is both accurate in content and time length ??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I'm assuming that is both accurate in content and time length ??!!!

And type of people who apply ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Given that a suitably trained parrot could operate a LUAS right now, and that the London DLR is automated - as are many others worldwide - 7 to 10 years may have been an overestimation.

a suitably trained parrot couldn't operate the luas, only a human can. the dlr isn't relevant as it's completely segregated unlike luas which is an open on street system. the dlr actually does have a member of staff on board to intervene in an emergency and it has been shut down due to strike action dispite being automated.
    it's not moving the train or tram on it's own that is the issue with automation, in fact that has been able to happen since the 1960s, it's the fact the automation isn't 100% able to deal with all situations quite yet which would negate needing to completely shut off an open system like the luas or much of the heavy rail network at quite a cost.
    hastening their own demise

they aren't no .

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm not defending the Luas drivers in question but seriously do you have something against transport workers. I don't understand how people can assume a job is easy when they have never that said job. If you've never driven a train, a bus or a tram I don't understand how you can assume it's an easy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

a suitably trained parrot couldn't operate the luas, only a human can. the dlr isn't relevant as it's completely segregated unlike luas which is an open on street system. the dlr actually does have a member of staff on board to intervene in an emergency and it has been shut down due to strike action dispite being automated.
    it's not moving the train or tram on it's own that is the issue with automation, in fact that has been able to happen since the 1960s, it's the fact the automation isn't 100% able to deal with all situations quite yet which would negate needing to completely shut off an open system like the luas or much of the heavy rail network at quite a cost.

they aren't no .

A parrot could.
    Also they have a distinct advantage over us humans as they don't need to store their bird seed in a fridge, so there....

*sticks tongue out and blows*

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

A parrot could.
    Also they have a distinct advantage over us humans as they don't need to store their bird seed in a fridge, so there....

*sticks tongue out and blows*

You wait till Siptu get their hands on them - it'll be "whatta we want ? TRILL When do want it ? NOW!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I'm not defending the Luas drivers in question but seriously do you have something against transport workers. I don't understand how people can assume a job is easy when they have never that said job. If you've never driven a train, a bus or a tram I don't understand how you can assume it's an easy job.

Some people are just bitter for the sake of it, others jealous or envious of the percieved wages or are just arrogant know it alls who think its an easy job with absolutely no experience at all.

As for the whole cooler bag row it does look pretty ridiculous on the outset but I dont know how this couldn't have been solved by simply organising rosters so noone ends up being stuck out of depot for their break. Would only be a green line issue as well as the red line has only the one depot on the red cow.

Also that video whoever linked it isnt even funny your man comes off like a condesencing prick rather than comedic. Really lousy taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sure just look at the training video he posted. Looks easy to me

There's a video on YouTube somewhere that was done when the Luas opened.

They had a film crew in the Luas cab following the driver who explained the controls and his job.

It's a piece of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There's a video on YouTube somewhere that was done when the Luas opened.

They had a film crew in the Luas cab following the driver who explained the controls and his job.

It's a piece of piss.

Any job where someone can be fully trained in less than two months is not a particularly difficult one. Semi skilled at a stretch.

I know pros make a job look easy, but driving a luas doesn't look that hard. As I said, there's a union infestation in the Luas system, and that's causing all the issues

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Any job where someone can be fully trained in less than two months is not a particularly difficult one. Semi skilled at a stretch.

I know pros make a job look easy, but driving a luas doesn't look that hard. As I said, there's a union infestation in the Luas system, and that's causing all the issues

there is no union infestation, so it would be impossible for that to be the cause of the issues. there is a union alright, who acts on the wishes of the members, who whether one agrees or not, believes that there is an issue.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

there is no union infestation, so it would be impossible for that to be the cause of the issues. there is a union alright, who acts on the wishes of the members, who whether one agrees or not, believes that there is an issue.

Yes there is.

Yes there is.

Don't bother. Strike after strike, this fella's been singing the same old tune.

You could look up threads from 2016 and earlier to get the same copy/paste responses.

Don't bother. Strike after strike, this fella's been singing the same old tune.

You could look up threads from 2016 and earlier to get the same copy/paste responses.

Ah I know.
    I won’t say what he really is as I’ll probably get carded, again:D.
    Ive called him out on his BS a few times and he usually just goes into hiding for a while then pops up again with his nonsense.

Ah I know.
    I won’t say what he really is as I’ll probably get carded, again:D.
    Ive called him out on his BS a few times and he usually just goes into hiding for a while then pops up again with his nonsense.

Feel free to PM me :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

This is why unions are dying.
    You poor fools are playing right into the hands of the right wing by living up to every caricature of yourselves - you are doing to unions and workers rights what de-platformers and safe spacers are doing to the millennial generations image.

Unions, as they are now, need to be put out of their misery and started from scratch, with a totally new set up, because if this farce keeps up there will be no such thing in 50 years and workers will get walked all over while this generation who thought nothing of the long term damage they were doing sit in retirement and their successors are living in a world without a minimum wage. THink it can't happen? Were facing fascism again in parts of Europe even though everyone thought the lesson was quite well learned last time. Things can always get worse. When unions went to far last time, in the 70s and it got us the Thatchers and Regans by strikes leaving airline passengers stranded over Christmas, bodies unburied and trash uncollected in the streets. Similar situation, lesson not learned, and now here we are again.

When some Resse-Mog cartoon politico from FG appears and starts bashing unions and dismantling workers rights, they will target the middle class voters in the private sector who are not union members and use things like this as examples, and it will work. You're walking right into a trap, but it will affect your successors not you so why care eh? Just like the teachers union screwed the people coming up behind them with less pay as long as they were cozy. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck where all the passengers and crew are oblivious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What's preventing the facilities from being available to store their lunch in broombridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

What's preventing the facilities from being available to store their lunch in broombridge?

I think the problem is they all start their shifts in Sandyford, and they can't just leave the tram in Broombridge to put their lunch in the fridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think the problem is they all start their shifts in Sandyford, and they can't just leave the tram in Broombridge to put their lunch in the fridge.

Why not? Departing customers off. Driver locks up. Or security monitor luas, driver leaves lunch in fridge and comes back.

Why not? Departing customers off. Driver locks up. Or security monitor luas, driver leaves lunch in fridge and comes back.

I'd guess they don't have time, the turnaround in Broombridge is quite tight and the depot is some distance from the stop? But that's just my speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'd guess they don't have time, the turnaround in Broombridge is quite tight and the depot is some distance from the stop? But that's just my speculation.

Depot is immediately adjacent and typical dwell time seems to be about ten minutes. One tram departs as the next arrives. They’re on a 10-15 min frequency.

I’d be very surprised if they’re not popping out to use bathroom facilities when necessary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Depot is immediately adjacent and typical dwell time seems to be about ten minutes. One tram departs as the next arrives. They’re on a 10-15 min frequency.

I’d be very surprised if they’re not popping out to use bathroom facilities when necessary there.

Very good point. They have to be going to the toilet at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Given that a suitably trained parrot could operate a LUAS right now, and that the London DLR is automated - as are many others worldwide - 7 to 10 years may have been an overestimation.

Good point, Copenhagens rail system is fully automated as far as I know. Sooner the better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Keyzer wrote: »
    Good point, Copenhagens rail system is fully automated as far as I know. Sooner the better here.

Just out of interest, how does an automated tram suddenly halt if a careless pedestrian steps in front of it with no notice as happens frequently in Dublin?

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how does an automated tram suddenly halt if a careless pedestrian steps in front of it with no notice as happens frequently in Dublin?

by applying the brakes?

Advertisement