Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes CLS vs BMW 320/520

Options
  • 11-05-2021 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi folks Hi folks I test drove the 2015 Mercedes CLS yesterday it was amazing I think brand new it was around 80k not sure correct me if wrong , seriously thinking of getting one. Ì

Does anyone own a one?

Any problems I should be looking out for?

Is it up there with a BMW 320/ 520?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Hi folks I test drove the 2015 Mercedes CLS yesterday it was amazing I think brand new it was around 80k not sure correct me if wrong , seriously thinking of getting one. Ì

Does anyone own a one?

Is it up there with a BMW 320/ 520 ?

What CLS is it? 250/350?

It's a much bigger car than a bmw 320 and would be more a bmw 6 series competitor, depending on engine in it. Other close competitor would be the audi a7.

They are more expensive coupe versions of e class more or less....like an a7 is closely related to an a6 and a 6 series is similar to a 5 series. They all tend to have bigger base engines than the saloons they are based on.

I agree with you though. Nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭HBC08

Coincidentally I took one out for a test drive a couple of days ago,2015 as well,maybe we're looking at the same car!
    I thought it was a lovely machine,it's for the Mrs and she has her heart set on an XF but this definitely got her attention too.I don't know much about them besides.
    It's moves quickly at 180bhp and is probably the most responsive auto I've driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭StephenRy30

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    What CLS is it? 250/350?

It's a much bigger car than a bmw 320 and would be more a bmw 6 series competitor, depending on engine in it. Other close competitor would be the audi a7.

They are more expensive coupe versions of e class more or less....like an a7 is closely related to an a6 and a 6 series is similar to a 5 series. They all tend to have bigger base engines than the saloons they are based on.

I agree with you though. Nice car.

The one I was driving was a 250 but I would like 350 .
    The 250 was still lovely. I think the CLS just looks better then the E class

A7 is very nice aswll but the CLS is on a different level

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi folks Hi folks I test drove the 2015 Mercedes CLS yesterday it was amazing I think brand new it was around 80k not sure correct me if wrong , seriously thinking of getting one. Ì

Does anyone own a one?

Is it up there with a BMW 320/ 520?

Its an entirely different car to a 320 bmw. The cls is a far superior car.
    I almost bought one 2 years back but history didnt check out. They are nearly all 4 cylinder 220d but a 6 cylinder 350d would be a fantastic car.
    Id say pretty solid overall but buy right with low mileage and known history.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Coincidentally I took one out for a test drive a couple of days ago,2015 as well,maybe we're looking at the same car!
    I thought it was a lovely machine,it's for the Mrs and she has her heart set on an XF but this definitely got her attention too.I don't know much about them besides.
    It's moves quickly at 180bhp and is probably the most responsive auto I've driven.

I would choose the CLS everyday of the week if only other option is XF

• Advertisement

Is it worth getting the Mercedes CLS on finance considering they will probably want a contract of 4 or 5 years in installments by the time I have it payed off would the CLS still have a decent value if I was to sell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

A7 is very nice aswll but the CLS is on a different level

I wouldn't agree with that statement. In online comparisons there's very little in it depending on which model of each you choose. Bigger engine cls rates a better drive but Audi tech/interior wins in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

HI,

I have one. It is a 2014 model but is the 250CDI (204bhp).
    I am the 2nd owner and have had the car for more than 3.5 yrs now and I have put 140,000kms on the clock since I have had it.

What is good:
    Very comfortable - chews up the kms with easy
    Plenty of power (for me but this is all relative!)
    Over my ownership, I am averaging 6.0l/100kms on diesel which is decent for a big car
    Boot is enormous (larger than a Skoda Octavia dare I suggest...)
    They tend to be well spec-ed no matter what model you get.
    The LED headlight cluster is really excellent.
    Mine has been very reliable - only cost to me really has been servicing and tyres

What is bad:

Tyres - I do a lot of kms so I go through tyres quickly enough and they are €220 each for any kind of a decent tyre. Rears last ~20,000kms and front last ~40,000kms
    Tyres - oddball size that my tyre dealer does not keep in stock so I have to wait a week for replacements (front and rear are different sizes)
    Tyres - (spot the trend) - low profile 285/30/19 - rough on country roads and has lead to me cracking the allow wheels

Failures/Breakdowns
    Nothing of significance
    I had a loose wire in the loom which took a while to find but once I found it that was it.
    The small boot-battery for the start/stop system had to be replaced (€50 for battery and I replaced it myself)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

My brother had the CLS350, traded it at 270,000km. Never had any major issues that I remember.
    It was really nice to drive but he changed to a 640d and that was actually a nicer car handling and acceleration wise.
    He liked the CLS a lot though and has gone back to a Mercedes.

A 520 or 320 is not comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

A buddy of mine has a 350 cdi amg, a seriously good car. Very quick too. We took it for a spin during lockdown with empty roads (shhhh) and it was great fun.

I owned a 2011 e class coupe for ~9 years, and I've had a few mercs previously, so I know them pretty well, but the cls was really beautiful to drive and was finished stylishly as well. A great choice, I'd say.

Advertisement