Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heat air con issue MK7 golf

Options
  • 10-05-2021 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi. Hope this is right place for this.

Have a 151 golf, only cold air is blowing out, the centre vents are not blowing anything out.

I had car in for service and they flushed out the rad/matrix (Hope I have wording right), but it clogged up again and they did it few times before they seemed ok that it worked but did say to me to watch it as the rad may need replacing after speaking to VW. I did have hot air again but now I don't

Have I a costly issue ahead?

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Flushing the matrix wont do it.

The whole coolant system needs to be drained, cleaned and flushed thoroughly usually more than once and then the matrix replaced.

Anything less than that won't fix it. It can be very time consuming to do properly. It is a common issue with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Flushing the matrix wont do it.

The whole coolant system needs to be drained, cleaned and flushed thoroughly usually more than once and then the matrix replaced.

Anything less than that won't fix it. It can be very time consuming to do properly. It is a common issue with them though.

Thanks for that. Rough price was 700, does that sound right to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Reasonable, if anything. Savage undertaking to do properly. Not too difficult, but time consuming, could be 6 or 7 hours doing it properly if it needs more than one flush. The detergent kit to clean it is around €200, plus a new heater matrix and a expansion tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Reasonable, if anything. Savage undertaking to do properly. Not too difficult, but time consuming, could be 6 or 7 hours doing it properly if it needs more than one flush. The detergent kit to clean it is around €200, plus a new heater matrix and a expansion tank.

Sounds like they should have done it first time but thanks for your help. Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Would the silica bag in the expansion tank be a common cause of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah. You can tell if your car might be affected if it has Mit Silka or whatever the German is written on the outside of the coolant tank. There's 2 types, a single and a double walled version that come with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

There was a thread here sometime ago and I took the
    advice given then to change the coolant expansion bottle containing the silica bag to one without it . THANKS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and why would it need a silca bag in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

fryup wrote: »

I think it's supposed to deal with condensation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

fryup wrote: »

There's aluminium in the coolant system and the silica is there to protect that with the idea being that you then have long live coolant, no need for changing. With the bag removed it just means it's back as a serviceable item.

• Advertisement
Advertisement