Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Slices' of a tree

Options
  • 16-08-2018 7:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd one, but does anyone know where I could get what I can only describe as slices of a tree in Dublin?

I want a few of them for use as shelving (decorative more than anything) so would need them to be maybe 3-5cm thick and a diameter of maybe 20-30cm (though those measurements are far from exact).

They can be fake pieces too - as long as they're cuttable etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

Not sure about Dublin but there's a few lumbar yards in Glenealy Co. Wicklow who will cut these rings for you.
    Unless you dry them correctly its hard to stop them splitting and cracking though especially as you want them so thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

These guys are based in Kilruddery and are really helpful. As well as milling boards, they produce rounds (slices) for woodturning so they'll definitely be able to help you out.

I've dealt with Neil - he's sound: http://kilndriedtimbersuppliers.com/contact.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Not sure about Dublin but there's a few lumbar yards in Glenealy Co. Wicklow who will cut these rings for you.
    Unless you dry them correctly its hard to stop them splitting and cracking though especially as you want them so thin.

Thanks - I don’t mind going a bit thicker but I’d imagine that won’t simplify things all that much.

If I could find fake ones that’d be fine too -did come across some on Etsy but it worked out as a ridiculous price once delivery was factored in.
    These guys are based in Kilruddery and are really helpful. As well as milling boards, they produce rounds (slices) for woodturning so they'll definitely be able to help you out.

I've dealt with Neil - he's sound: http://kilndriedtimbersuppliers.com/contact.htm

Thanks, will drop them a line and see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As well as milling boards, they produce rounds (slices) for woodturning
    are their round blanks for woodturning simple slices through the tree? i hope not...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

On the same topic (though not strictly wood-related) but anyone know where in Ireland sells these kinds of fixings (for a floating shelf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

are their round blanks for woodturning simple slices through the tree? i hope not...

I didn't phrase that very well - I meant they don't just produce boards!

Advertisement