Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraying.

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience in spraying wood? I'm mad to try out spray painting and spraying lacquer just because it gives a great finish and a lovely depth of paint. So any advice or recommendations for equipment would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

cork2 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience in spraying wood? I'm mad to try out spray painting and spraying lacquer just because it gives a great finish and a lovely depth of paint. So any advice or recommendations for equipment would be much appreciated.

You are opening up a big can of worms. I do a little spraying - next to my open shed door which takes the excess vapour spray. This would be dangerous in a closed space as the vapours really do explode if concentrated.
    Many home sprayers advocate water based sprays but they cost more and you still need extraction.
    Its hard to get any information for the amateur but an American , Jeff Jewitt has a good book + DVD out called 'Spray Finishing made simple' - it gives the basics.
    You really need a dedicated space, with a turntable and lights to warm the air up in the Winter and an explosion proof extractor fan.
    As for spray systems I bought a cheap turbine HVLP Apollo unit a few years ago and it was hopeless. Lots of uneven coating and 'orange peel' skin.
    I have a standard high pressure compressor driven setup now and it does a great job.
    I'm planning a new workshop with one of those 'waterfall' spray booths - whenever the lotto comes in. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 banjoman22

recipio wrote: »
    Many home sprayers advocate water based sprays but they cost more and you still need extraction.

Just on the water based lacquer, I have worked in two different workshops that made the change to it. Yes it's better for the environment but we found that it was nowhere near as durable as AC or PU lacquer. One of the workshops scrapped the water based because it was also causing the panels to warp when left drying

banjoman22 wrote: »
    Just on the water based lacquer, I have worked in two different workshops that made the change to it. Yes it's better for the environment but we found that it was nowhere near as durable as AC or PU lacquer. One of the workshops scrapped the water based because it was also causing the panels to warp when left drying

Yes, even Jeff Jewitt , the acknowledged American expert hints in his DVD that water based lacquers don't give a great depth of finish.
    HVLP sprayers are heavily advertised, Fuji and Apollo being the main brands. I am not convinced but they are probably easier to maintain than the high pressure units.
    PU lacquer is polyurethane ? -is it formulated to dry fast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 banjoman22

recipio wrote: »
    Yes, even Jeff Jewitt , the acknowledged American expert hints in his DVD that water based lacquers don't give a great depth of finish.
    HVLP sprayers are heavily advertised, Fuji and Apollo being the main brands. I am not convinced but they are probably easier to maintain than the high pressure units.
    PU lacquer is polyurethane ? -is it formulated to dry fast ?

They seem to be very popular among hobbyists in the US anyway. They seem easy to maintain, smaller, cheaper and quieter than getting a compressor and all the kit.

Yes, think it's polyurethane. It's been a few years since I've worked with it but I think I would spray a project with base coat in the evening time, then the top coat the following morning and could assemble later that day. Could be wrong

banjoman22 wrote: »
    They seem to be very popular among hobbyists in the US anyway. They seem easy to maintain, smaller, cheaper and quieter than getting a compressor and all the kit.

Yes, think it's polyurethane. It's been a few years since I've worked with it but I think I would spray a project with base coat in the evening time, then the top coat the following morning and could assemble later that day. Could be wrong

There doesn't seem to be much of an advantage over lacquers as they take way longer to dry -as long as you don't mind the 'stink' of lacquers.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Spraying is easy enough but tedious the amount of issues that can happen as in too damp too warm. Lacquers and paints requiring different amounts of thinners to keep the same consistency. The different size tips. Keeping dust away and the inevitable flies or spiders that just magically appear. Extraction can be kept basic but face masks and Ppe needs to be really good and thens there's the environmental officer landing into your shed. It doesn't matter if it's a hobby or a business these people don't make any exception and fines are hefty. Pc is use on basic cheaply stuff that won't need much protection, it's really quick drying in the right environment. Ac on kitchen doors and things slower to set but a far better finish than pc and harder wearing. Pu for floors and internal doors, expensive fairly slow to set and requires a fair bit more skill to put on but it's as hard as the hobs of hell. It bloody stinks but and let's just say a couple of hours working with pu and you'll be dizzy . None of the above are suitable for external bar pu with a tint put in to stop uv breakdown.

Advertisement