Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a Robert Sorby tool *snap*

Options
  • 17-01-2015 4:23pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just parting off a deep piece of wood on a lathe that wouldn't be considered very powerful (Record Power 305) and the parting tool snapped at the base...

This is the tool: Standard%20Parting%20tool.jpg

You notice the narrow part at the base, that's where it snapped. I had the tool-rest at about half way along the tool so there was some force on it but not a huge amount.

Seems like a really dumb design to have a narrow part right where it meets the hilt. I'm less than impressed ( and nursing a bruise on my hand from the piece that stuck in the wood).

Is this common? To be expected? Any come back with the manufacturer as the set is about 8 months old only...

I just cant fathom why there is a narrowing there if this sort of thing is possible its got no reason except for some sort of fashionable design and it caused it to fail rather spectacularly as a tool.

Another reason why I will always wear my face shield, even on straightforward jobs like parting off...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Having turning tools break is not uncommon. I had a Crown spindle gauge break cleanly about 3" from the tip after a 'catch' when turning a bowl.( 69.99 stg to you and me ) After that I was a little more careful.
    Your parting tool needs a narrow 'tang' simply to fit in the handle and that is always going to be a weak point although I wouldn't have thought you were abusing the tool. Might be worth complaining to the retailer - they have the legal responsibility to sell goods 'fit for purpose' - not the manufacturer.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ironically I was parting off circles of your lovely piece of Elm Burr!! I was probably putting it under a bit of strain but serious did not think that a 1/2 HP lathe could do that to a hi-speed tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How deep were you into the wood when parting off the pieces? You can get some serious heat build up sometimes which means both the tool and wood expand causing the tool to bind and seize solid, and possibly enough to snap the tool at it's weakest point, i.e. the tang.

In those cases all you can do is to go part way in, and then expand the gap slightly on one side, repeating as necessary to avoid the binding.

Alternatively Sorby do a 'diamond' section parting tool that is specially designed to alleviate the problem, although you still have to be careful and not go at it too forcefully, and be aware when you're getting heating occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the tool was halfway out on the toolrest it doesn't have much support and it's also hard to control, I'd say that's why it snapped

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes that's probably it... I am just a bit surprised that this could happen... I didn't think my lathe would have anything like the power to snap a hi-speed steel tool on me. Apparently it does! I was being a tad rough with it (just a tad tho!) so it seems like physics came into play with levers and force etc... still not wild about the design if its going to be a weak spot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Having the tool overhanging the rest a lot will snap any tool with a small tang, (roughing gouge and certain parting tools. The rest should be as close to the workpiece as possible. If it was a very thick piece that was being parted, you should part it partially and finish off with a Japanese type saw which usually have a very thin kerf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Was it frosty by any chance? ive had a few simmilar sort of issues with steel items and the only factor i could put it down too was the frost. ive asked a few lads on this issue and they said it can be common enough in cold weather.

Yeah it has been pretty chilly here... though I'm beginning to think user error is probably a more likely explanation. I was parting into the *end* of a piece in order to then part off a ring from it. (I'm parting off rings from an elm burr blank).

Advertisement