Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Looking For) Mortice & Tenon

Options
  • 15-05-2012 1:29am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    My father has recently tried to get his hands on a Mortice & Tenon and went on a hunt for one seeing as those on sale in Ireland (According to him) seem vastly expensive.

Closest he came to finding one was on Amazon but they also wanted to charge 30euro worth of postage costs, which he wasn't willing to pay seeing as the actual item itself was 50 euro.

I told him I'd chance my arm on Boards and see if there was a place to ask (If this isn't the appropriate place, please let me know or feel free to move the thread - I haven't a foggy idea in this field of discussion, just trying to help him) and if this is the right place, well, I'm basically wondering if anyone around would know of any decent places to get such a thing (Mortice & Tenon).

I had to write the item down, no clue what it is, myself but I'll just assume people will have an idea what it is :p

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AidanBoland

A mortice and tenon is not some sort of object you could just buy. Its the name of a type of joint between 2 pieces of timber, like you would find in a door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I think he must be trying to get a mortice & tenon jointer. There is such a device and its used for building the mortice & tenon joint you may make for doors / tables or chairs use these joints and are easy enough to do. Ask him if its 'a jointer' he wants!!
    I know of a few place that may have them. Myself I dont as I use a router to
    do this job for me, much easier than a jointer!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes: I think he must mean a mortice and tenon jig. Two are available - Leigh and Trend - at www.axminster.co.uk
    There are other ways ( besides hand cutting ) to cut a mortice and tenon but they involve fixed machinery.
    I have resorted to the 'Beadlock' system which drills mortices and a loose tenon is glued in. Works great !

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/hollow_mortising_chisel_and_bit.jpg

is it this possibly?sounds kind of like what your describing

edit:incase it is what your looking for here is a company that supply them http://www.carbide.ie/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,80/Itemid,27/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

What carpenter23 has shown you would be a mortice bit, an actual mortiser is out of the price range you're talking about, there is such a thing as a mortising attachment for a drill press, I have never used or purchased one but it fits the description and if it's what you're looking for at least someone else here might be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I really doubt that's it - It's some sort of small machine as opposed to a tool or bit, I assume.

I'll ask him again tomorrow seeing as the info is still so vague.

Whatever it was was costing well over 100-150 euro here in Galway whilst selling for 40-50 abroad hence the hunt for one - When he found what he wanted on Amazon they were charging 30-40 euro delivery which was defeating the purpose of trying to order one cheap.

Sorry about all this :mad:
    Those morticing attachments for a bench drill are none too accurate, and a right pain in the nether regions to set up and take down.
    If you are interested, I have one of these going cheep, cheep!
    PM me if you like.

Always in these situations its the lack of information , vague, usually that
    leads to too much speculation.
    Ask him to show you what looked up on ebay, get him to forward the link via email , although knowing fathers, ( mine is 92 ) , he wont have a clue how to do that...so,

Get him to tell you if its the actual 'bit & chisel' part that he wants or the machine...

As someone said though in the thread earlier, the machines for these are well out of that price range, they can be anything from 150-700!!

Anyways, you have to quiz him...lol .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

richiek67 wrote: »
    Always in these situations its the lack of information , vague, usually that
    leads to too much speculation.
    Ask him to show you what looked up on ebay, get him to forward the link via email , although knowing fathers, ( mine is 92 ) , he wont have a clue how to do that...so,

Get him to tell you if its the actual 'bit & chisel' part that he wants or the machine...

As someone said though in the thread earlier, the machines for these are well out of that price range, they can be anything from 150-700!!

Anyways, you have to quiz him...lol .
    Much less second hand, of course ;)

205286.jpg
    This is a morticing attachment for a drill press.

He has the drill press, and he wants to add the attachment so he can cut mortices using his existing machine.
    To be frank, these things are more trouble than they are worth. I have one somewhere under the dust, probably in bits, unfortunately.
    If I can find all the pieces, you are welcome to it.
    These things are a bit like taping an atlas to the inside of your windscreen and expecting it to work as a sat nav.

Have a look at my post above (if you haven't already) it would probably be a more cost effective option in the long run.

slowburner wrote: »
    205286.jpg
    This is a morticing attachment for a drill press.

He has the drill press, and he wants to add the attachment so he can cut mortices using his existing machine.
    To be frank, these things are more trouble than they are worth. I have one somewhere under the dust, probably in bits, unfortunately.
    If I can find all the pieces, you are welcome to it.
    These things are a bit like taping an atlas to the inside of your windscreen and expecting it to work as a sat nav.

Have a look at my post above (if you haven't already) it would probably be a more cost effective option in the long run.

My god, lol,:eek: ther's easier ways to make mortice and tenon joints. Do none of you woodworkers ever here of a table saw or a Router. You can make up simple jigs, especially with a router. More accurate, snug fit and half the set up time....
    Come on....:D;)

www.Finewoodworking.com is a place he should visit

• Advertisement

richiek67 wrote: »
    My god, lol,:eek: ther's easier ways to make mortice and tenon joints. Do none of you woodworkers ever here of a table saw or a Router. You can make up simple jigs, especially with a router. More accurate, snug fit and half the set up time....
    Come on....:D;)

www.Finewoodworking.com is a place he should visit
    Easier than a morticing machine? I don't think so.:)

Advertisement