Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dented laminate, can I fill it?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I dented my laminate floor in two areas (identical dents on two boards). See pic attached (sorry for the size).

Do you think this could be filled by that filler/putty stuff that's on the market - I hear its a pig to work with. Ideally I'd like to lift the boards and replace with spares but that could be difficult also. Id appreciate the input

zUlOP.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

You could try soaking a small towel and sticking it over the dent and then getting an iron on it.... I know this works on solid wood to get out dents so it might help a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

slpower01 wrote: »
    You could try soaking a small towel and sticking it over the dent and then getting an iron on it.... I know this works on solid wood to get out dents so it might help a little bit.

That won't work on laminate!! You can buy floor repair kits for laminate. It's basically a very hard wax that needs to be heated up soften it and put it into the scratch or dent and buff it and job done.

Learn something new everyday.... luckily I havent scratched a wooden floor yet so have never had the pleasure of repairing one.... it might work out easier to just lift and replace though in most cases :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

slpower01 wrote: »
    Learn something new everyday.... luckily I havent scratched a wooden floor yet so have never had the pleasure of repairing one.... it might work out easier to just lift and replace though in most cases :)

Ah we can't know everything. I love learning things about woodwork from other people. Noting like learning something new everyday.

Intact I think lidl do a laminate floor repair kit now and then. I have had no personal use but do remember that it comes with a yoke to heat up the hard wax to fill a dent or scratch with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

That won't work on laminate!! You can buy floor repair kits for laminate. It's basically a very hard wax that needs to be heated up soften it and put it into the scratch or dent and buff it and job done.

glad someone said heating it wouldn't work... had visions of a new thread there for a minute... "how to get iron shaped melted mark out of laminate wooden floor" :D

Damien McGarry
    http://www.wexfordwoodworking.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Id recommend removing the board, its all of four boards in from the wall and should take damn all time to replace.

dmcgarry wrote: »
    glad someone said heating it wouldn't work... had visions of a new thread there for a minute... "how to get iron shaped melted mark out of laminate wooden floor" :D

Damien McGarry
    http://www.wexfordwoodworking.com

Tis why you soak a towel with water and iron the towel :P haha..... im still aimed more at removing the board myself though... much neater job... its one of those things even if you fill it.... it will always be there to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

OP, did you get this fixed? I dented our white laminate kitchen worktop and need it filled and finished. There's a product called ColorFil, but I'd much prefer an expert to get it as close to the original as possible.

Advertisement