Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this wood?

Options
  • 18-06-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi guys, I just recently bought this waist height umbrella/walking stick stand in a charity shop. I intend to restore it and have sanded down a portion which you can see in the photo, it seems like there was a stain put on it by the difference of colour. Does anyone have any idea what wood this is? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Looks like oak to me. For some reason it was a popular wood to make umbrella stands from in the 1930 's.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

My vote would be on oak too.......... end grain would tell all!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

I'd say oak

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnd123

looks like oak try a little saw cut with a hand saw and wet the cut with water and run the saw through the wet cut leave the wet saw for a little while and you will probably get a blue/black stain on it from the tannin in the oak

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bay

thanks for the replies guys. On a related note would any of you know what stain is on it ? I have it sanded down to the oak and want to recreate the same stain. Im thinking its probably a dark oak stain or possibly ebony?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img537/8638/2lS2y4.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement