Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carving bog oak?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

im a complete beginer, and would appreciate any advice. i need to know of good resources (websites, books) to learn bog oak carving techniques. i also need to know what tools i need. any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I would recommend you post this in the woodcraft section of boards. To find it go to rec/home garden/woodcraft ..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would be interested too, I have a decent sized lump of bog oak that has an interesting shape hidden inside it, I haven't had the courage to tackle it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭muff munch

i just got a few bits of it my self,i imagine it,ll be hard stuff to work but worth it in the end.there should be loads of info on the internet about bog wood carvings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robbiefat

i cant find much usefull information or videos so far on thew web if anyone finds a good link please share. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 donna.b

i seen a carving video on ********** on the artists launch pad under the how to section there was links to more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

muff munch wrote: »
    i just got a few bits of it my self,i imagine it,ll be hard stuff to work but worth it in the end.there should be loads of info on the internet about bog wood carvings

Well I hunted around and didn't see anything, it was a while ago, might have another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm afraid I cant point you to any particular guide, my method of learning has been 'learn as you go' :p

What I can tell you though is that carving isnt as simple as just picking up a few chisels and hacking away, you also need to understand the various chisels, what they do, how they do it and above all how to adequately sharpen them. Carving the likes of bog oak will mean that the chisel will need to be stropped every 30 mins or so to keep a keen razor edge on it as anything less will result in a poor 'torn' cut and make the experience of working the wood quite poor. Any of the guys on here that have been woodworking for a while will tell you that sharpening hand tools is almost an art in itself and takes a long time to perfect.

As for tools you'll need a few rather large gouges for roughing out the piece and getting a basic shape to it also a small gouge for finer work. A large and a small V chisel for marking out areas to be carved (ie cutting lines) and also for finer details when you get to that stage. A couple of flat chisles too, again, one large one for rough work, one small one for fine work.

If anything I'd be looking up carving vids/tutorials rather than 'bog oak carving' carving and get to know the tools and techniques first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 robbiefat

thanks for the helpful advice. maybe when i get some hands on experience i could put some of my findings on the interweb to benefit others :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 valycc

I have some big bog oak logs and planks, I no longer need them.
    please contact me if anyone is interested. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

croppy boy is correct. bog oak can be a nightmare to work especially if your only beginning. try out something like red deal first. get to know the grains and see if your still interested. try something a little harder then get the bog oak. dont forget a wire brush and you will be sharpening those chisels longer than you will actually be carving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement