Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breadboard

Options
  • 07-08-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone have any ideas on what type of filler to use on timber that would be used to make bowls and breadboards etc. Going to use Tung oil on the boards but need a food safe filler for knots .

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

WWC1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone have any ideas on what type of filler to use on timber that would be used to make bowls and breadboards etc. Going to use Tung oil on the boards but need a food safe filler for knots .

Any help greatly appreciated
    That's a tough one.
    If you want the filler to be guaranteed foodsafe and waterproof. PVA and sawdust won't work - that'll just dissolve at the first washing. You could use a resorcinol based glue like 'extramite' - but I don't know how foodsafe that is.
    I don't know how safe epoxy resin would be either.
    I would imagine the food safety aspect to be less of a concern on bowls than on chopping boards where fragments of whatever filler you use will most likely end up in the food.
    I use polyester car filler if there are large voids to be filled on bowls.
    Sorry not to be of more help :o

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

What about the special filling compounds used on stone worktops, they should be foodsafe.

Advertisement