Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed NCT - should I bother fixing?

• 10-05-2021 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice. I failed the NCT on a few things (image below) and I'm wondering should I just scrap it. Any idea how much the repairs would cost me? Would you advise getting rid instead? It's a 2004 Seat Arosa; just a runaround car I've had for a few years. I'd prefer to keep it to be honest, but I don't want to start disappearing down a money-pit hole :)

https://imgur.com/8qOd484

Any advice appreciated. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

These jobs are all kinda linked, so I’d be inclined to just do them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I've had worse NCT's than that. Fix them if you feel the car is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

Price up the parts on Micks garage or a similar site. A half decent indy mechanic will charge 40-60 an hour labour at most, then decide is it worth it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Rack and pinion leaking could be an expensive one. No way of knowing what the solution to that is without bringing it to a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rack and pinion leaking could be an expensive one. No way of knowing what the solution to that is without bringing it to a mechanic.

The Seat Arosa is a very rare car these days so if you like the car, the paint, bodywork, interior etc is in good condition and the engine is good, it might be worth keeping on the road.

At this price point any car you buy runs the risk of needing expensive repairs so if you know that fixing the steering and ball joint will get you another year of driving, it could be worth paying a grand to get it right
    But it entirely depends on the condition of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

3 of those things are just rubber boots that are torn, 10-15 euro each.

Track rod ends is an easy job and about 15euro aswel.

Assess the source of the leak first and the cost and that'll tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Cheers lads. It looked pretty bad to have so many fails, but if you're saying the rack and pinion is the big one, I'll get it into the garage and see what they say. The car is alright apart from that, so I'm inclined to stay with the devil I know because I'd only be able to afford something marginally better at the moment.

I got on to a garage this morning. I showed him the NCT report: he didn't inspect the car, but said he'd ring around about the rack and pinion. Got back to me a few minutes ago saying the best option is to take off the rack and send it to some crowd in Dublin for refurbishment (around €250 I think he said) vs €850 for a new one.
    Car will be off the road for a few days while it gets sorted. All in, with other jobs, around €550-€600 total. What do ye think? Is refurbishing the parts a good option?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Go for it if the car is otherwise ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

500 is what I would have estimated for the job, I'd say you're better off having it repaired. You won't buy a better car for €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If you are happy with the car otherwise it is still worth fixing.

The list might look long, but as other posters said, it isn't really. Some worn rubber make half of it.

If the engine is still healthy and it works as a runaround car well keep it for another year or two.

If bills start stacking up soon then there is time for a change.

Cool. Thanks lads. I'll get it done so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

500 euro is a small enough amount for an nct repair in fairness.