13-03-2021, 02:26   #211
adrian92

Ulyeses. But I am not erudite enouph to spell in a right method or way
Advertisement
13-03-2021, 05:05   #212
Mules

I didnt like Ulysses either. Although tbf I didnt really understand it. I stopped reading when he starting giving a description of someone having a s.h.i.t. I was eating at the time and thought ah for feck sake, that's enough of that now
13-03-2021, 10:29   #213
ShamNNspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I didnt like Ulysses either. Although tbf I didnt really understand it. I stopped reading when he starting giving a description of someone having a s.h.i.t. I was eating at the time and thought ah for feck sake, that's enough of that now
You'd wonder about people who put Ulysses as their favourite book in those questionnaires around Christmas, have they really read it? I remember Bertie putting it as his favourite book in one such questionnaire in the sindo in the boomtime, ya right he might have read the cover that'd be the height of it
Thanks from:
13-03-2021, 12:09   #214
Joe_ Public

Had to read Ulysses back in college, struggled with it and was resentful towards it for a long time. But it never dawned on me to deem it overrated or anything short of an incredible literary achievement. Just the sheer labour that went into it, the craft and effort he put in to every image, every sentence, leaves me in awe. Overall i still struggle with it, would never list it my favourite book, but some pasages and particularly the dialogue are fantastic. There are so many lush and beautiful sentences in it that i think grappling with it is more than worth the effort. Finnegans Wake, on the other hand...
14-03-2021, 13:15   #215
fvp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamNNspace View Post
You'd wonder about people who put Ulysses as their favourite book in those questionnaires around Christmas, have they really read it? I remember Bertie putting it as his favourite book in one such questionnaire in the sindo in the boomtime, ya right he might have read the cover that'd be the height of it
Even worse Finnegans wake. There’s no actual way to read it as a normal book anyway. You need to both study and translate it. He’s using his own language and grammar.
Advertisement
10-05-2021, 17:29   #216
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
A Tyrant Once Again

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Madame Bovary

Madame Bovary.

This is a very disappointing book. The main problem is that it isn't sufficiently bad to give up halfway through — there are flashes of brilliance in the character construction, and it is occasionally very funny (the chapter set at the agricultural show is is a masterpiece). So you keep going, more out of hope than genuine enjoyment, plodding and trudging through a swamp of extraneous language and florid prose.

Not since I was forced to read Barbara Cartland in a bookless air bnb on a wet holiday in Donegal have I been so bored by a novel.

Last edited by A Tyrant Named Miltiades!; 10-05-2021 at 23:37.
Thanks from:
10-05-2021, 17:36   #217
storker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_ Public View Post
Is there anybody who thinks Catch 22 was...merely ok. It's one of my all time favourites but seems a kind of ultimate marmite book. Love or hate.
I read it years ago as a teenager and it was a struggle to get to the end - I think it took me a couple of months and I didn't find it very amusing. A couple of years later I read it again finished in inside a week and enjoyed it so much I've read it at least another three times over the years since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ryf3925pivug View Post
Something Happened is a guy talking about how much he hates everything in his very mundane life for an entire book. Then at the end something happens. It's an extraordinarily bleak book. I feel a little depressed just thinking of it.

So it has literary merit but is also a horrible read.
Sounds about right. The irony is that that if I remember correctly *thing that happened* is the only thing that happened in the whole book. It's a very depressing read and unlike Catch-22, I've never considered it worth a revisit.
Thanks from:
10-05-2021, 17:46   #218
storker

It probably doesn't count as literature but I read Peter Straub's "Ghost Story" last year, mainly because Stephen King mentions it quite a bit in his non-fiction work, "Danse Macabre". Straub may be a friend of King's but he certainly doesn't write like him. Too much unconnected stuff going on without any real explanation. In fact, it isn't really a ghost story at all. It's one of those cases where the filmmakers were right to dump a large amount of the book. If Straub's story had been similar to the movie version it would have been a much better read.
10-05-2021, 18:00   #219
Conall Cernach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
Tried to read gormengast years ago after rave recommendations from friends only to be very bored with its dense language and depressing narrative.

I'm going to give it another go this summer to see if it has gotten more relatable as I've got older
Gormenghast is a sequel to Titus Groan which is so slow and dense that it makes Gormenghast seem like a PG Wodehouse farce. I read them almost 30 years ago and thought them great but they're still sitting on my shelf unread since.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-05-2021, 19:59   #220
fvp4

Funny enough I am reading Barbara Pym, right now. Not the tweeter, the writer herself.the book is “Excellent women”.

Worthy but dull is my synopsis.
10-05-2021, 20:00   #221
fvp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamb Named Miltiades! View Post
This is a very disappointing book. The main problem is that it isn't sufficiently bad to give up halfway through — there are flashes of brilliance in the character construction, and it is occasionally very funny (the chapter set at the agricultural show is is a masterpiece). So you keep going, more out of hope than genuine enjoyment, plodding and trudging through a swamp of extraneous language and florid prose.

Not since I was forced to read Barbara Cartland in a bookless air bnb on a wet holiday in Donegal have I been so bored by a novel.
“This” isn’t linked.

Last edited by fvp4; 10-05-2021 at 20:10.
10-05-2021, 23:50   #222
New Home
No, but the title of the post is "Madame Bovary".

I agree, one of the most infuriatingly boring things ever. I remember thinking during the suicide scene "Would you die already and put us all out of our misery?!".
10-05-2021, 23:54   #223
siblers

Ready Player One is awful
11-05-2021, 00:00   #224
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

Quote:
Originally Posted by siblers View Post
Ready Player One is awful
I quite enjoyed it. Not the best book I've ever read, but far from the worst. The film, on the other hand, really was awful.
Thanks from:
11-05-2021, 23:51   #225
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
A Tyrant Once Again

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Home View Post
No, but the title of the post is "Madame Bovary".

I agree, one of the most infuriatingly boring things ever. I remember thinking during the suicide scene "Would you die already and put us all out of our misery?!".
Every thought that Flaubert had for the story was pure genius, until he settled on his word count. If ever any novel should have been a short story...
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion