Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test tips

Options
  • 02-11-2020 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just got confirmation for my driving test in Westside, Galway in a months time.

I am a late learner in my late 30s!

Any tips at all would be very welcome, im not driving long at all so i will be getting a few more lessons over the next few weeks plus practice with my friends.

Have my own car and its a automatic ( i know the license will be for an automatic only) so will be using this for the test.

Is there a quicker way to brush up on the theory rather than read the book?

I just kept doing the quizes online to pass the theory test and found that much better than sitting down going through a whole book.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

Doing the practice theory tests seems to be a good way to learn. Somebody on here posted links to some of the most relevant practical stuff before, hopefully they can post it again as I’d just taken screenshots.

Though I can’t provide much help on what works as I have my own first test on Wednesday. Feeling fairly nervous about it. I’m confident that I have the skills and methods to pass it, but it’s the nerves and pressure going into it affecting me (or not) that I feel will be the big decider on the day!

But if I can provide any wisdom in preparation, practicing non-stop has made me feel confident in my driving skills. Rarely going more than 2-3 days without at least a short spin with my sponsor or instructor for the past 3-4 months has helped considerably. Before I felt that any time I went more than a week or two without practicing I’d have gone back a few steps in my confidence and intuition.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Rosstopher wrote: »
    Doing the practice theory tests seems to be a good way to learn. Somebody on here posted links to some of the most relevant practical stuff before, hopefully they can post it again as I’d just taken screenshots.

Though I can’t provide much help on what works as I have my own first test on Wednesday. Feeling fairly nervous about it. I’m confident that I have the skills and methods to pass it, but it’s the nerves and pressure going into it affecting me (or not) that I feel will be the big decider on the day!

But if I can provide any wisdom in preparation, practicing non-stop has made me feel confident in my driving skills. Rarely going more than 2-3 days without at least a short spin with my sponsor or instructor for the past 3-4 months has helped considerably. Before I felt that any time I went more than a week or two without practicing I’d have gone back a few steps in my confidence and intuition.

Thanks rosstopher.

I'm thinking now that it is more on the spot rather than multiple choice might need more study which isn't ideal as only a few questions.

Yeah I'm going to go for a spin every other day now I think!
    I think as well nerves is a major factor here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I found Dane Tyghe's videos good for the theory questions https://www.youtube.com/user/danetyghe Some of the questions are road signs (I was asked about 6 I think), they point to a sign on a sheet and you explain it, but there are also other questions. I was asked for three reasons why you would not use high beams when driving, are you allowed to drive in a yellow box, what to do if dazzled by an oncoming car's lights.

Don't forget to know your hand signals. In the car I was asked to point out demisters. Under the hood I had to point our brake fluid and had to describe how to check oil (before talking about dipstick don't forget to mention the car must be parked on a flat surface and completely cooled down).

One thing I was nervous about was not hearing the instruction in the car or not having enough time to make decisions but there was nothing to worry about. Examiner spoke clearly and with plenty of time.

Twee. wrote: »
    I found Dane Tyghe's videos good for the theory questions https://www.youtube.com/user/danetyghe Some of the questions are road signs (I was asked about 6 I think), they point to a sign on a sheet and you explain it, but there are also other questions. I was asked for three reasons why you would not use high beams when driving, are you allowed to drive in a yellow box, what to do if dazzled by an oncoming car's lights.

Don't forget to know your hand signals. In the car I was asked to point out demisters. Under the hood I had to point our brake fluid and had to describe how to check oil (before talking about dipstick don't forget to mention the car must be parked on a flat surface and completely cooled down).

One thing I was nervous about was not hearing the instruction in the car or not having enough time to make decisions but there was nothing to worry about. Examiner spoke clearly and with plenty of time.

Thanks Twee, i did hear about Daves videos so i will check them out.

Thats all great info also so thanks for that.

Yeah i heard about if you dont hear them learly its ok just use the correct exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tiaco

How did it go? Has anybody have their test in Carnmore maybe? Is it easier to pass? Maybe I will switch to Carnmore from the Westside test centre. On waiting list atm as non essential worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

Hi All,

Just got confirmation for my driving test in Westside, Galway in a months time.

I am a late learner in my late 30s!

Any tips at all would be very welcome, im not driving long at all so i will be getting a few more lessons over the next few weeks plus practice with my friends.

Have my own car and its a automatic ( i know the license will be for an automatic only) so will be using this for the test.

Is there a quicker way to brush up on the theory rather than read the book?

I just kept doing the quizes online to pass the theory test and found that much better than sitting down going through a whole book.

Thanks!

I was a late learner too and finally decided to go with automatic also. It made life so much easier and made driving much more enjoyable. Some tips I can give you as someone in a similar position:

Don't underestimate the theory/technical questions: just constantly read and test yourself here. There's no point picking up an unnecessary grade 2 here and it will start off the test positively.

Try keep the nerves in check and don't let it impede how you normally drive or make you drive more cautiously on the day. Easy to say but keep in the back of your mind - 'so what if I fail,' about 50% of people do first time and unless you need it for work - its not the end of the world. Try keep this in mind before and during the test

Practice starting, finishing and parking in the test centre as much as possible

Do at least 2 pre-tests within 2 weeks - gets you in the zone and will give you practical driving things to focus on
    Drive the test routes as much as possible before the test with a sponsor. I drove the area 5 days in a row at the same time of day as my as my test - the week before. Again, familiarity helps but try mix up/use alternative approaches to junctions and roundabouts. It will help you with your decision making if you are on a new road on the test.

Get used to driving in estates and practicing positioning - you can do this anywhere not only on the routes.

Nail the things you know what is in the test: Reverse/Turnabout/Hill start.

Practice getting up to the speed limit safely as soon as possible - this will help eliminate any issues with progress.

Finally I picked up a silly grade 2 in the car park when I finished because the car park was empty and I didn't do the proper observation I would typically do if the car park was busy. Don't switch mentally until you have turned the engine off or because you think its easy or uncomplicated.

I failed first time round because I was too nervous and cautious, passed with a couple of grade twos 5 weeks later because I was 100% more relaxed and focused on minimizing silly mistakes

Best of luck. Remember if you can drive safely and confidently with your sponsor/instructor there is nothing stopping you passing this test.

Good point on the parking, definitely try practice if you have the chance. It may be busy on the day so it'd be handy to know the layout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm on the list and waiting for a date. Dane Tyghe's videos are great and he goes live on his YouTube channel every Saturday for an hour and a half or soat 11pm or sometimes 12pm. He did say last Saturday he would be taking a break for a few weeks and be back to it. He goes through failed tests that people email him in and gives tips for how to get it right next time. He's very good. He also looks at theory questions and answers live questions as they come in. Has the OP passed his/her test yet? Best of luck to them.

DenMan wrote: »
    I'm on the list and waiting for a date. Dane Tyghe's videos are great and he goes live on his YouTube channel every Saturday for an hour and a half or soat 11pm or sometimes 12pm. He did say last Saturday he would be taking a break for a few weeks and be back to it. He goes through failed tests that people email him in and gives tips for how to get it right next time. He's very good. He also looks at theory questions and answers live questions as they come in. Has the OP passed his/her test yet? Best of luck to them.

Hey, yeah i passed on first attempt. Plenty of lessons and practice leading up to it is a must.
    I had Simon from aim2drive and i cant recommend him enough. He was well clued in where test route could be. Gave me plenty of good tips that seem obvious but you can easily forget them.

DenMan wrote: »

Ring RSA and say you are an essential worker otherwise could be waiting several months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Just so I am clear in terms of the test, are the main things a learner would be tested for are below:

1. Reverse around a corner
    2. Hill Start
    3. Turnabout - no longer a 3 point turn & you can dry steer

Also, in terms of the theory questions, I did the theory test over a year ago but know for a fact if I sat it today I would not pass.

What theory questions do they ask you as part of your driving tesr? Is it a particular topic like road signs or is it anything within the Theory test?

Just thinking if I suddenly got called to do my driving test in 2 weeks would I want to have covered the theory test course again?

You will be asked about road signs, absolutely revise those. They have about 50 of them on
    big sheet and the examiner will point out 5-6 and you have to explain them.

Watch Dan Tighe's videos about the theory questions, they're very good. I was asked about yellow boxes, what to do when dazzled by lights, and a few others.

Also revise the engine and know exactly where all your lights and demisters are, I was asked about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Does anyone have any tips for nerves? I’ve failed twice now and nerves one of the main reasons why. I’ve tried the rescue remedy, yoga and meditation, breathing etc the morning of the test and still found my mind going point blank during the theory and the driving parts of the test. I freeze up.

This has never happened before, I am a highly strung person generally but I do cope well under pressure - I usually thrive under exams, intense meetings in work etc but the driving test is a big exception and I don’t understand why :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Get lessons, lots of them, even if your well capable of driving, get used to haven’t someone in the car monitoring you. I had been on a provisional for 20 years for the same reason. Hated getting lessons and hated having someone watch me, but it got me used to having someone in the car. My instructor used to say over and over again, relax.. the tester doesn’t give a monkeys about you, your just one more person in a sea of people they will test, imagine them as someone you know and essentially ignore them, all you need to hear is their instructions. If you pass or fail you will be just another of hundreds that week who have passed or failed, if you fail, go home and book again, you can sit a test 100 times if you need to... failing is not the end of the world, and your tester doesn’t care if you passed or fail, they are already in the next car. Think of them like the local shop assistant, they are just doing their job, you don’t get anxiety in a shop, you shouldn’t in your own car. Like giving someone a lift, and they are giving you directions.

I was my own worst enemy, instructor used to laugh at me, I literally cried during my final lesson with him the morning of the exam, told him I was going home and not sitting it.. steeled myself to it and finally passed nearly two weeks ago.
    He also told me to impress them from the outset, know your questions, google driving test questions and different instructor websites will have a load of different ones come up.. learn them off, start the driving part with no lost marks and the tester aware that you have done your homework, it can make a huge difference.
    Make things easier, reverse into the test spot so you can drive straight out. Practice the route yourself, three point turn and reverse around the corner, keep doing it.
    GOSH: gears, observation, signal, handbrake.. learn it in the order.
    Little routines like GOSH, knowing your questions etc makes your more confident, reducing anxiety..

Hope this helps, out of everything he told me, the most helpful was him saying the tester doesn’t give a monkeys about me... don’t be worrying about them. He was right!

Yeah good tips on theory is to know them as gives a good first impression but dont kill yourself on them.
    Dont need to know it word for word either.
    Yeah check dave tighs video on theory in youtube, ots a great indication of questions asked.
    Know your hand signals too

Main thing is get loads of lessons from two weeks before and the morning of test if u can, defiently helped my nerves.
    They will have you well prepped then!
    Checking mirrors, blind spots is key but also when you check them and try to have a specific routine as apparently they like this

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Trying to book my test on the portal and every test centre in the country is totally booked up. Says check back every few days for cancellations, or pay the 85 euro now to go on a waiting list.

What is the best approach in terms of getting a test date soon, any ideas?

When I checked the portal in early January there were loads of times and dates to choose from in my preferred test centres, so this has taken me aback.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

I have posted before but I think worth to re-post again.

As I have seen people fail not lack of knowledge but rather human error due to exam anxiety.

During the test if you made a mistake say that to the tester right away.
    At least he/she knows it was human error and not lack of knowledge.

Advertisement