Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hDip in economic science. Good idea?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am presently unemployed and am thinking of appling to do a hDip in economic science at Maynooth. I am wondering what your opinion is in terms of employability with this subject. My primary degree was in History & Philosophy.

Comments

What do you want to do in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I'm not 100% sure. I did get an offer to do PGDE (history teaching) but this would be very inconvinent in terms of location and anyhow I dont think that what I want to do. I was just wondering whats the general opinion re opportunities for graduates in economics. The particular course I'm interested in suits me from the location point of view and I have a general interest in this subject area and was good at maths in leaving cert.
    I did enjoy the subjects of my primary degree (history and philosophy) but I dont see anything that interests me in this area at the moment.

You won't get any offers for economic jobs without at least a MSc in the subject. There are plenty of MSc grads (myself included) who can't get work at the moment.

But if you are interested, then doing the HDip will allow you to see how you like the subject at the third level and whether you want to pursue it to masters level or above.

I doubt it will be any extra load, but you won't get work as an economist without a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

You won't get any offers for economic jobs without at least a MSc in the subject. There are plenty of MSc grads (myself included) who can't get work at the moment.

But if you are interested, then doing the HDip will allow you to see how you like the subject at the third level and whether you want to pursue it to masters level or above.

I doubt it will be any extra load, but you won't get work as an economist without a Masters.

You might be able to do the PGDE with economics or business as a subject with the HDIp though. I'd say do it it's no harm to have an extra qualification and if you do like it you can go on to do a masters if not you've the equivalent of a degree in economics in only a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

In the long run, we are all dead.

It's a good course but I wouldn't do it unless you've a genuine interest in the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

If you have a strong inclination toward economics then go ahead. If you are a hard numbers person then lean toward accounting or commerce the job prospects are better. Economics is one of the soft or quasi scientific subjects in the same league as Psychology, Sociology, Political ... As a hobby or area of recreational interest it is fascinating. A joke currently going the rounds goes as follows. An economist sees a man eating grass by the side of the road. He stops the car and ask the man why he is eating grass. The grass eater replies he is starving and it is a last resort diet. The economist offers to take him to his home and take care of him. The grass eater replies he has a wife and two children and a brother who has a wife and four children. No problem says the economist I will taker care of all of you at my place. So they all get in the car and one of the grass eaters asks the economist if he has enough food to feed them all. The economist replies, not to worry the grass is a foot deep at my place. Now to offset that there is John Kenneth Galbraith who coined the phrase " conservatives are people who are striving to find a moral philosophy that justifies selfishness and greed".

Advertisement