Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mod(s)

• 07-09-2003 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭

Any suggestions for mods?

Obviously someone with an interest in the areas would be handy.

I'm disinclined to get actively involved, I have too many spamming responsibilities elsewhere. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Well I might be on this board a bit as one of my mates had his leg amputated as he is diabetes and somehow managed to get an infection.

But don't think I'd be good for a Mod anyway.

Btw who suggested this forum?
    would they be any good??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moi (rolleyes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I would put forward amz as a suggestion anyway, seeing as she does have a vested interest in this forum, and is involved with the visually impaired a lot. also she has the modding experience with english, and i'd say you may get a few muppets coming in here going "Hahahaha retards/handicaps" etc.

I would like to congratulate you victor on getting this created, think its a great idea and intend to read it a fair bit :)
    Well done mate.

Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Thanks crash :)

I think this forum is going to be a great addition to boards and will most definitely be using it.

As crash has said there is a high possibility of it being a target for muppetry so maybe more than one mod might be needed. Don't want to really suggest too many people as it'd probably help if they had an interest in the field.

crash_000 would be my first choice (if he doesn't mind) as he has both experience of modding and he is also familiar with disability/accessability etc as a cousin of his has a V.I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

Hi all

Great to this group on boards.

Can I suggest in the interest of access and self determination that the mods are people with disabilities in the true spirit of 'nothing about us without us'. Know that it might be hard to find people at first but maybe some people from Boards would be willing to help train people up?

Suzy

• Advertisement

Hehe, i might just try and get her on here amz, now she has her PC fully set up for the net (i'd pay money to hear here speech software reading out some of the sigs). i know my uncle who has invested a lot of time in Feach would be interested in here, so i can see this board flourishing :) tis a good way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yeah the screen reader is pretty funny for the sigs alright

It's also funny to have it go off in the middle of class and scare the bejaysus out of the teacher....

/me pets lappy

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Amz and Crash for mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

yep those 2 for mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Suzybie
    Can I suggest in the interest of access and self determination that the mods are people with disabilities in the true spirit of 'nothing about us without us'.
    On the flip side, not only people with disabilities have issues with Accessibility and Mobility - think older people, people with young children, people with literacy problems (not physiologically based), the list goes on and on.

I would be perfectly happy and indeed encourage, that one of the mods have personal experience in or have a disability, but that should not be the only criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

agreed....maybe this broad definition of issues could be put in a sticky? I have not read the posts which contributed to the development of this group so am unsure of the dialogue which might already have existed.

Look forward to some good discussions fun and information here.

Suzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

yea Amz and Crash.

Thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I would def recommend Dawntreader. AFAIK or as far as I've read I think he is our only PWD on boards (person with disabilities).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'd be happy with any of the three potential moderators mentioned above. I think this forum could attract a lot of muppets, so the sooner someone is appointed the better.

*** i would concur with dawntreader. after reading some of his posts he seems to be able to concentrate on a single point and keep himself on subject, and argue it well. a handy ability in a mod, as it reduces heavy handedness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I vote for Dawn trader, I have actually met this man! he has become a great friend to me, he is articulate & never loses his cool! He would be a great moderator very calm & sensible but takes no rubbish from any time wasters!

Vote for Dawn Treader! A great moderator in the making!!

Faye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As I have already stated on another post/thread on this forum. I agree with the nomination of Dawntreader* as a Moderator for this forum. It has reached the stage where I believe it bably needs the guidance of a moderate*, Moderator.

So, can we get on with it, Please?..

P.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

A further thumbs up for Dawntreader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i think dawntreader amz and crash for mod. seem suited and able for the job.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can I suggest in the interest of access and self determination that the mods are people with disabilities in the true spirit of 'nothing about us without us'.

No.

Sorry, I dont believe in that for a second. You might as well pat them on the head and say "you sit over there now hun, you're our *special* mod".

I'll pick the person on these criteria (pretty much in order and the same as every other board we have).

. Reasonableness
    . Online activity
    . "getting" Boards.ie
    . Acceptance of the community
    . Knowledge of topic
    . Ability to communicate

This isnt a vote either. Well, ok it is but I get the only vote :)

Obviously the people have to put themselves forward or agree to do it but after that its basically up to the admins as we have to work with these people subsequently.

Thats not to say I dont take the will of the community into account, of course I do.. its up there in that list... but I've overridden it before.

Anyhow in this regard I've chosen two Mods.. Amz and Dawntreader as between them they have that list more then covered.
    I'm sure you'll all join me in welcoming them on the "Welcome your new Mods!" thread.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yes,

Congrats AMZ & Dawntreader. I wish you both well. Hope you both find moderating as satisfying as it should be.

P.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Well done Amz and Treader icon14.gif

Advertisement