Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

marshallian demand function

• 30-04-2009 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone!

Does smb know how to derive demand function for this kind of utility function:
    U(x,y,z)= min(x,y) + z

I cant understand what MRS will be here.

Comments

min(x,y) is a Leontieof function so x will always equal y. You should be able to solve it out using the utility function and the budge constraint. You can't differentiate a function like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alibek

As I understand, if price of z is bigger than price of y and price of x, demand for z will be zero and smth for x=y.
    Also if price(z)<price(x) and price(z)<price(y) then demand for x and y will be zero.
    But I cant understand what will happen if price(z)<price(x) and price(z)>price(y) for example?

With a leontief, X will always equal Y.

So if you have U = min(x,y) and a budget constraint of m = py.y + px.x, then we know that x = y so we have m = py.x + px.x so we get m = x(py + px) which leads to x = y = m / (py + px).

The case you asked about is an extension of this.

Advertisement