Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other carers out there?

• 17-09-2003 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

I'm caring for an elderly parent with mobility difficulties and numerous other health problems while trying to finish my degree from home.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you thought of respite care, where you would only have to care for her her say every second week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'm in rural Mayo.

Thanks for the offers. We're doing ok at the moment :)

My mother doesn't yet need 24 hour care, but really needs somebody living with her permanently so I'm not sure if going back to the city to work is going to be an option for me when my thesis is done.

She is in her early seventies and lived on her own for six years before I came home last year, but her health has deteriorated since then. Being a fiercely independent lady she declined the offer of a home help a few years ago, but would certainly need one now if I was not here. She has severe arthritis and gets around the house ok with the aid of her walking stick, but is afraid to go outside much as if she falls she needs assistance to get up. Thankfully we have wonderful neighbours and there's always somebody to help if that happens.

She's had a lot of health problems over the years and I've been caring for her on and off since my teens (I'm now in my early 30s). I also cared for my Dad who died from cancer in '96. Most people I know in similar situations are in their fifties or older and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else around my age has had similar experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

well currently my father is in said position (well not so much atm seeing as both my grandparents are in hospital). as we live right next door to said grand parents and my grandmother was seriously ill for a time while my grandfather is largely immobile my parents and occasionally myself and my brother and sister were the errand runners/repair jobs/cleaners etc. its a much easier position than you are in obviously, but i guess yes, we are/were the carers.

Advertisement