Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber cladding on block wall

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

heres mine transformed a really ****ty wall that was always green and dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Very nice, what wood finish have you used?

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Very nice, what wood finish have you used?

Textrol Golden Oak

xl500 wrote: »
    Textrol Golden Oak

Good man I was just recommending it in another thread :D

Good man I was just recommending it in another thread :D

Expensive but great stuff

• Advertisement

Expensive but great stuff

I don't think I ever mention it without using words like expensive or really expensive or even really really expensive in the same sentence.

But the finish the degree of protection and ease of application make it worth it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

heres mine transformed a really ****ty wall that was always green and dirty

That's class. Trying to convince my OH to do similar on an 8ft wall here, I'll be showing her this. Lotta work maintaining it, but better than a boring bare wall imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Thanks for the inspiration and advice everyone. 2x1" rough white deal. 18mm spacing from old skirting board.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Both look fantastic.

That's class. Trying to convince my OH to do similar on an 8ft wall here, I'll be showing her this. Lotta work maintaining it, but better than a boring bare wall imo.

Depends on your Budget if you use microshades timber its the best preservative treatment and then its very easy to maintain with Textrol

Microshades is expensive but its a finished job for years then textrol coat every few years but its easy to apply I can coat all my cladding with a roller in 2 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

Thanks for the inspiration and advice everyone. 2x1" rough white deal. 18mm spacing from old skirting board.

Can I ask where you sourced the wood? I really like the look of the white deal.

Nice work btw. Any plans on what to do with the pillar beside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

daheff wrote: »
    Can I ask where you sourced the wood? I really like the look of the white deal.

Nice work btw. Any plans on what to do with the pillar beside it?

Thanks! Get the wood in my local DIY shop, MD O'Shea. Thinking of making a trellis for the pillar and having something grow up it to cover the block, honeysuckle maybe. It's that or paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarMex

Textrol Golden Oak

Hi, beautiful job on your fence! 👌🏻 Currently planning a DIY job like this. I wanted to know what type of timber have you used to create this look before applying the Textrol Golden Oak?

SarMex wrote: »
    Hi, beautiful job on your fence! 👌🏻 Currently planning a DIY job like this. I wanted to know what type of timber have you used to create this look before applying the Textrol Golden Oak?

He mentions Microshades https://www.woodcomponents.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MTS-MicroShades1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SarMex

He mentions Microshades

Ah great stuff, thank you! I was only speaking to them yesterday about Microshades so I’m on the right path! Thanks for the swift reply! 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi,
    We have external insulation on our house but were thinking of putting timber cladding over this on one part (side extension). Does anyone know if this is OK to do or would we risk the external insulation?
    Thanks

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have external insulation on our house but were thinking of putting timber cladding over this on one part (side extension). Does anyone know if this is OK to do or would we risk the external insulation?
    Thanks

I would be very careful fixing anything to the external insulation as if you break the surface for fixings etc there is a danger of water getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

mloc123 wrote: »
    Completed my section this morning

What are you using to fix the 2x1's to the wall battens,

Screws(what size) or nails, i'm going to start something similar,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The Mulk wrote: »
    What are you using to fix the 2x1's to the wall battens,

Screws(what size) or nails, i'm going to start something similar,

Thanks

I used screws... I think 40x4mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thanks, I'll order a box.

• Advertisement

Thats a bit short for my liking? Now it depends on the thickness of your battens and the cladding but I'd prefer 4 x 50mm something like these https://mybuildingsupplies.ie/product/decking-screws-rawlplug-200-4x50 .

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

I would be very careful fixing anything to the external insulation as if you break the surface for fixings etc there is a danger of water getting in

On the idea of external insulation. Was thinking of cladding gable ends of house. It's a dormer bungalow so its only 8 foot high til you reach the guttering. Idea was to attach 3x3s vertically to walls, put some type of insulation board in between each one and then clad over? Would then like to plant climber to cover area. Any advice? Pointless exercise or would it work?

Advertisement