Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metal Pipe Internal Diameters?

• 23-05-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭

Stigura has a rod, 16.15mm in diameter. He wishes to stick said rod into a hollow pipe, such that said pipe will hold the rod nice and steady, without having to hammer the thing in. The idea is to just pop the rod into the pipe. Then, whip it out again, when ever.

The pipe really wants to be steel, not copper, as Stigura plans to sds drill a hole into a road. Beat the pipe in, thus leaving readily available places to pop his rods into, without bothering anyone's tyres. Steel pipe will, of course, take that initial pounding better than copper.

Is there a standard bore of steel pipe Stigura should be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭cletus

How close do your tolerances need to be?

https://www.lenehans.ie/cold-pressed-varnished-steel-round-tube-20mm-x-1-2mm-x-2m.html

That's steel pipe with an outer diameter of 20mm, the wall thickness is 1.2mm, so the inner diameter is 18.8.

That's just over a mm all round when you drop your rod in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thanks! That should be plenty tight enough. Now I know what exists, I'll try to source some locally. Even scrounge a bit. I only need a foot or so.

My reasoning is far too much bother to bother explaining here. I just want it so the rods won't rattle about. Yet won't practically flop out either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

20mm outer diameter with 1.2mm wall thickness means 17.6mm inner diameter not 18.8 as mentioned above.

Bugger! Cheers, Mick.

I might well just take one of my rods into town and see what I can find.

I'm getting really pumped about this project :D

mickdw wrote: »
    20mm outer diameter with 1.2mm wall thickness means 17.6mm inner diameter not 18.8 as mentioned above.

Apologies, miscalculated. Should still be sufficient to fit

• Advertisement

Never mind, lads. I'm already eyeballing This! :D

cletus wrote: »
    Apologies, miscalculated. Should still be sufficient to fit

It should but if hammering the outer into the ground, any distortion could cause it to stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats with talking in the 3rd person

the pen turner thinks you should look at electrical 20mm conduit

whats with talking in the 3rd person

Hang over from primary school. They always presented problems in that format. Given a problem, to this day, I think about it like that :o

20mm seems to be a recurring theme, anyway. Probably best to try for what's most commonly out there, before complicating things any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

If you really want to go with pipe, what you're looking for is 1/2" Schedule 10 ASME pipe, it'll be available in carbon steel and stainless. That should give you about 0.46mm space all round.
    (yes I know 1/2" sounds too small to begin with but that's not how ASME pipe works)

Most suppliers will only do it in 6m lengths so you'll have to try get an off cut from somewhere.

• Advertisement

Daveq wrote: »
    If you really want to go with pipe .....

:confused: Ye say that like there's a better option, Dave?

Basically, I don't want to drag it out into laborious why and where for detail. But, I have these two rods that I want to be able to stick into a proper road, so they stand at 45 degrees to the surface.

Then obviously, I'll want to be able to whip them out again and no one be any the wiser. I figured drilling into said road and beating 'pipe' into it would give me sheathes. I even plan to sink them, ever so slightly, so I can drop bolts into them. Thus sealing them and making them easier to find again.

I'm all ears :)

I cannot think of why you would want to do this.

Don't sweat it, Mick :)

Ah go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Stigura wrote: »
    Bugger! Cheers, Mick.

I might well just take one of my rods into town and see what I can find.

I'm getting really pumped about this project :D

Never quite heard a night out described in this way before.

Mick ~ and anyone else who Really Must know what I'm up to? No worries. Google " Whoosh Net ". Ye'll see the rods I'm concerned with ;)

They're normally deployed on grass. Needs must though. I have to put mine on my private road. And, yes; I'm permitted :)

Mick ~ and anyone else who Really Must know what I'm up to? No worries. Google " Whoosh Net ". Ye'll see the rods I'm concerned with ;)

They're normally deployed on grass. Needs must though. I have to put mine on my private road. And, yes; I'm permitted :)

Thanks. Never heard of such a thing so I learned something new today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

How close do your tolerances need to be?

https://www.lenehans.ie/cold-pressed-varnished-steel-round-tube-20mm-x-1-2mm-x-2m.html

That's steel pipe with an outer diameter of 20mm, the wall thickness is 1.2mm, so the inner diameter is 18.8.

That's just over a mm all round when you drop your rod in
    would that not make the inner diameter 17.6?

iamtony wrote: »
    would that not make the inner diameter 17.6?

Yes, my inability to add and subtract has already been highlighted on this thread, thank you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

mickdw wrote: »
    I cannot think of why you would want to do this.

I can think of 1 very illegal reason but that's hardly likely here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could you not just bury some 22 qualpex and not worry about tyres etc?
    24mm SDS bit, pop in qualpex, trim to size and then slide your rod in and out as needed (ohh matron!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Yes, my inability to add and subtract has already been highlighted on this thread, thank you very much

Ha sorry i didnt read it all:D

GreeBo wrote: »
    Could you not just bury some 22 qualpex

Hmm. So, to the uninitiated; 'Hose pipe'? That's a bloody good idea! I even have some, knocking around. I'll try a bit on a rod and see where that gets me :)

Thanks.

:confused: Ye say that like there's a better option, Dave?

Ah! Apologies, no. My bad, I miss read previous posts and possibly got confused with another topic somewhere else. I thought you had gone off the idea of using pipe and was trying to say if you really wanted to go back to the pipe idea you could.

The only issue I see is getting your hands on a bit of it and not an industrial amount! Try somewhere like Amari https://www.amari-ireland.com or a mechanical contractors for an off cut.

No worries, Dave. Actually, I'm getting really into Greebo's idea now. Rubber could be so much better than metal.

It won't rust, for one thing. But, more than that; If I can get the internal size just so ~ and, at this point I've about given up trying to accurately measure my Round rods, even with my fun new caliper ~ a rubber pipe / sleeve could take a grip on the rod.

I'm thinking; As opposed to have it either hammered in or virtually rattling around in a very unforgiving metal pipe.

I did find a length of hose pipe. Much too small. Then, I found a length of white, plastic hose like pipe I'd bought for some purpose. Bit too small. But, the point is, I can buy that stuff by the foot. And, I'm sure, it comes in a whole array of internal diameters.

If I can just nail the exact right size I need? I'm there! Stuff's readily available and cheap as chips. Though, saying that? I'm so gagging to get going with this that, if the place in town only has a hose pipe that's do? I'll buy the whole reel! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No worries, Dave. Actually, I'm getting really into Greebo's idea now. Rubber could be so much better than metal.

It won't rust, for one thing. But, more than that; If I can get the internal size just so ~ and, at this point I've about given up trying to accurately measure my Round rods, even with my fun new caliper ~ a rubber pipe / sleeve could take a grip on the rod.

I'm thinking; As opposed to have it either hammered in or virtually rattling around in a very unforgiving metal pipe.

I did find a length of hose pipe. Much too small. Then, I found a length of white, plastic hose like pipe I'd bought for some purpose. Bit too small. But, the point is, I can buy that stuff by the foot. And, I'm sure, it comes in a whole array of internal diameters.

If I can just nail the exact right size I need? I'm there! Stuff's readily available and cheap as chips. Though, saying that? I'm so gagging to get going with this that, if the place in town only has a hose pipe that's do? I'll buy the whole reel! :D

22m qualpex has an internal diameter close enough to what you need.
    You could either hammer in any size metal pipe and fix the qualpex to it afterwards (dump some adhesive, mortar, whatever into the bottom) or dig a hole and cement in the qualpex itself.

Sounds like a good plan :)

I Have My Pipe!!! :D:D:D

I'd asked my neighbour ~ a cattle farmer ~ to have a dig about his place for me. Day or two ago, he did the probably most sensible thing and asked me for one of my rods :rolleyes:

Tonight, he's brought me down a parcel from Amazon which the postman had left with him. Then, as I'm gleefully showing him what's in that box (My new chair wheels) He has an 'Oh, yes!' moment. Reaches into his motor and brings out my rod, almost completely buried in a black, plastic sleeve!

I can't begin to describe the feeling, when I gripped the two and drew the rod from that pipe! The resistance was Perfection! Ye can withdraw it with the least pressure. Yet, up end the pipe and 'shake' it down? Rod stays! Perfect! :cool:

Turns out this is the hard, black plastic pipe we use around here. Looking at it? Around an inch, external diameter? Want to run an electric cable across a track? Shove it through this stuff. I'd forgotten it even existed.

Excellent! My next trick is to get back into town, and find an SDS bit that'll bore the hole to hold this pipe.

Oh, and a traffic cone. Where can I legally buy a traffic cone? Because I'll want one. To place out in front of my net. Last thing I want, after all this hassle, is to set the net up and have some day dreaming lunatic drive straight over the whole bloody set up! :eek:

:cool: Just sayin' ...

Bad.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement