Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER versus plans sq footage discrepancy

Options
  • 11-05-2020 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi had a BER done recently but just noticed the floor are quoted on the BER is 70msq but on the plans is 82msq. Any reason for such a large discrepancy.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi had a BER done recently but just noticed the floor are quoted on the BER is 70msq but on the plans is 82msq. Any reason for such a large discrepancy.

is this an apartment?

the BER is done from a site survey, so it should be correct unless theres been a cock up in the measurement taking

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

sydthebeat wrote: »
    is this an apartment?

the BER is done from a site survey, so it should be correct unless theres been a cock up in the measurement taking

Yeah an apartment. Management fee based on 854 sq foot and measured at 753 sq foot on ber. Now there is a balcony off the main bedroom so that may account for the discrepancy but was wondering if the floor area meant main rooms (2 bedrooms, living room Ensuite kitchen and bathroom) and not hot press, stairs etc. Requesting mortgage deeds through solicitor as planning to sell to check it out.

the BER floor area will be the whole internal area within the external walls... not including the access stairs.

i cannot tell you what the management fees floor area is based on.
    single storey apartment yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the BER floor area will be the whole internal area within the external walls... not including the access stairs.

i cannot tell you what the management fees floor area is based on.
    single storey apartment yes?

2 storey. The balcony and Internal stairs is the likely difference. Just wanted to make sure

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I had the same experience, the assessor submitted a sq metre size that is less than the actual house size, I got nowhere when I queried this but did notice in rooms with slide robes he measured to the glass not the wall behind and that is some of it.

SEAI weren't interested other than get another BER done,

If you are having a Ber done walk around with the assessor, don't assume they are on the ball, my guy wasn't as he also missed the boiler efficientcy sticker on the front of the boiler and submitted it at the lesser default efficiency of I think 80%

• Advertisement

pale rider wrote: »
    I had the same experience, the assessor submitted a sq metre size that is less than the actual house size, I got nowhere when I queried this but did notice in rooms with slide robes he measured to the glass not the wall behind and that is some of it.

SEAI weren't interested other than get another BER done,

If you are having a Ber done walk around with the assessor, don't assume they are on the ball, my guy wasn't as he also missed the boiler efficientcy sticker on the front of the boiler and submitted it at the lesser default efficiency of I think 80%

1. the assessor has conventions that they need to comply with, and some of these might not seem sensical to a lay person.

2. an assessor CANNOT take an "efficiency sticker" on the front of a boiler as proof of its efficiency. There are strict means to get its tested efficiency by, and a service sticker is not one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

Correct Syd

Advertisement