Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Existing DG units in Windows

Options
  • 19-01-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

HI

I have Double Glazed PVC Windows they are at least 25 years old but the windows are all in Good condition

I have the house externally insulated and a HRV system

I am having a problem in the main Bedroom where 2 adults are sleeping we get major condensation on the internal glass in cold weather, only on the glass never on the PVC Frame

I am considering replacing the DG Units and keeping the frames maybe even triple glazed units looks like the existing units are 24mm

Has anyone done this and had good results

Thanks
    XL500

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Just open the window a little when your sleeping in the room. Yes it’s cold etc, but just open the window a little, a person gives of & pint of water vapor over night.

Re windows, in hindsight perhaps they should have been changed when the insulation wall done.
    only replacing the glass may just move the condensation issue to the frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What about reconfiguring the HRV to have supply and extract in the bedroom, or get a small stand alone HRV unit for the bedroom.
    It would cheaper that getting new glass and dress the vapour issue, which the D to T will not as B explained above
    It would be money better spent that going from D to T

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

xl500 wrote: »

I am having a problem in the main Bedroom where 2 adults are sleeping we get major condensation on the internal glass in cold weather, only on the glass never on the PVC Frame

Is the condensation on the glazing persistent throughout the winter or bad at the start and reducing gradually as the winter progresses?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Sorry I missed the bit about the hrv system, sounds like it needs to be re-balanced

• Registered Users Posts: 6 krysiapearson

If you are seeing condensation inside your home this can be a big problem or could simply be that you are raising the heat in your home for example you may have just cooked a meal, taken a shower or are drying clothes close to the windows. The best advice in these cases is to avoid drying clothes on radiators, keep your kitchen and bathroom fans on for up to 20 minutes after showering or cooking to maximize the removal of moisture from the air.

You can try upping the heat of your windows by opting for blinds, curtains or drapes we also recommend moving plants away from the windows as they produce moisture too. There are other ways to reduce the condensation including opening your windows to air out the home. Then there is installing a ceiling fan to push warm air off the ceiling towards the floor, purchasing a dehumidifier for the affected rooms or even installing an insulation kit for your windows all of which come at a price.

The goal is to keep the air moving in your home and by doing so you should reduce the amount of condensation on the internal window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement