Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for shooting

Options
  • 22-10-2020 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I’m thinking of offering to shoot rabbits on my golf course during the lockdown as they have the place destroyed. The head of the greens committee mentioned to me after the last lockdown that if he knew I had a rifle he would have asked me to do it. I have a 22lr so perfect for the job and quiet enough that no one Will eleven know I’m out there. I’m assuming they’ll want me to have some form of insurance and it’s probably no harm to have it anyway. I had seen it mentioned here before that there was an insurance policy that people had that wasn’t too expensive. Can anyone provide any information?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Country sports Ireland, check out their site and you will be surprised how good they are. And no I dont work or have any affiliation with them just found them very proactive and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Country sports Ireland, check out their site and you will be surprised how good they are. And no I dont work or have any affiliation with them just found them very proactive and helpful.

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I have insurance through country sports Ireland. Very good to deal with.

€40 for insurance per year. Great to show landowners when asking for permission.

Golf course are a good place to ask for permission considering the financial damage rabbits do to golf courses. You have an even better chance of getting permission if you know someone in the club.

I have insurance through country sports Ireland. Very good to deal with.

€40 for insurance per year. Great to show landowners when asking for permission.

Golf course are a good place to ask for permission considering the financial damage rabbits do to golf courses. You have an even better chance of getting permission if you know someone in the club.

Thanks for that. I’m a member myself so I’d be hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I take it that you guys are talking about golf courses in more rural locations, and not in more densely populated cities or towns?

Also, any reason for not relying on NARGC insurance (assuming that you are a club member, and can get cover).?

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I take it that you guys are talking about golf courses in more rural locations, and not in more densely populated cities or towns?

Also, any reason for not relying on NARGC insurance (assuming that you are a club member, and can get cover).?

The golf club is fairly rural alright. I’m not a member of a gun club so don’t have any insurance as it stands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

NARGC would cover you as long as the shooting is not done on a commercial basis. In this case for example it would be fine if the golf club sorts you out for a dinner and a few pints in the club house in return for the favour but not if you would be paid for cleaning up the rabbits.

On a different note it doesn’t matter if the golf club is in a rural area or an urban area as long as you can shoot safely and legally. There’s no law against shooting rabbits in an urban area as long as it’s done safely and legally. Obviously the less noise the better so if you have a suppressor on the .22lr all the better.

NARGC would cover you as long as the shooting is not done on a commercial basis. In this case for example it would be fine if the golf club sorts you out for a dinner and a few pints in the club house in return for the favour but not if you would be paid for cleaning up the rabbits.

On a different note it doesn’t matter if the golf club is in a rural area or an urban area as long as you can shoot safely and legally. There’s no law against shooting rabbits in an urban area as long as it’s done safely and legally. Obviously the less noise the better so if you have a suppressor on the .22lr all the better.

Thanks for the info, there wouldn’t be any payment just a win win situation. I get to shoot on a bit of different ground with guaranteed game and the golf club gets cleared of some rabbits. It’ll be the first time I’ll see a fox while out shooting that I’ll be walking past.... even if he did try to steal my golf ball a month ago

Advertisement