Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rody vs Roger

Options
  • 17-09-2019 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I've seen the name "Rody" crop up occasionally and it seems to match someone who died as a "Roger". Any idea were these names used interchangeably?

P.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Don't forget, Roger can also be spelt Rodger so that could account for the shortening to Rody.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

& Rory/Roger in Irish is spelt as "Ruaidhri"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rody in my family is Rodolphus. Entirely separate from Latin versions in Church registers...that's what the lads were called. Yikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I have several Rogers in my surname line- usually Roger, but one Ruadhrai (early 1900's). There also are Rodgers in a female ancestor's family and they are frequently are called 'Rody' - also, that family is differentiated in Griffiths by the suffix Rody. It seems common in Tipp & Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I always thought that Ruadhrai was Rory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Didn’t Ruahdrai also get anglicized as Roderick?

Advertisement