Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment Accounts / Products

Options
  • 02-03-2021 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a smallish lump sum to invest in the medium term and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on where best to put it.

I was considering the An Post State Saving cert which pays back 3% after five years. It's safe and the growth is guaranteed which is what I like but the return isn't spectacular - much better than the banks though.

I've only had a cursory look at investment accounts but the warning that I may lose some or all of my money has got me spooked. I know there is a risk/reward balancing act to consider but at the moment I am erring on the side of caution.

As a complete noob to this kind of thing am I better off just playing it nice & simple and going with An Post?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Without some kind of clear objective as to what you want to achieve and in what time period it is not possible to give actionable advice. Are looking for capital preservation or wealth accumulation and over what period?

Remaining in cash is low risk for capital preservation, but high risk if the goal is wealth accumulation and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 3fetlar

Hi there ,

I would also appreciate some advice on investments . I have 5 k each to invest for two 14 year olds . I’m looking to make it grow as it won’t be touched until they are 21 .

Thank you for any ideas on where to start .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

To achieve real returns you must invest in real assets. There is no alternative.

As always get professional advice. It won't be free so be prepared to pay a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Without some kind of clear objective as to what you want to achieve and in what time period it is not possible to give actionable advice. Are looking for capital preservation or wealth accumulation and over what period?

Remaining in cash is low risk for capital preservation, but high risk if the goal is wealth accumulation and so on.

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.

Initially, I was looking at capital preservation as the lump sum was just getting eaten up by inflation in my bank savings account so the An Post state savings scheme for 5 years caught my eye. The money can also be accessed in an emergency without getting hit with fees.

However I would be open to looking at wealth accumulation investments provided the risk isn't too great.

Advertisement