Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"The Home" Tuam

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am looking for any information anyone has on "The Home" in Tuam.
    It was a mother and baby home in the old Tuam Workhouse on Dublin Road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Google gave me this. Seems the records are kept in -
    Western Area Apoption Committee
    West City Certre
    Seamus Quirke Rd,
    Galway.
    Tel: 091 548430 (that'd be +353 91 548430 as you're in the States).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heidiresk

Hi,
    Thanks,,, yes, I have been there already. Records are a minimum. I think I'll get more from people first hand that have been there or know someone that has been there.
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Only thing that I can think of is to see if there was a backup/copy of the records sent to any "main Dublin" place?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Or perhaps ask in the County Galway forum ?

I will check into both of your suggestions. Thanks for responding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Maybe contact the Tuam 400 years (1613-2013) group on facebook. They know a lot about the history of tuam.

thanks for the f/b tip,,, I did see one tuam group there

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NANAANNA

heidiresk wrote: »
    I am looking for any information anyone has on "The Home" in Tuam.
    It was a mother and baby home in the old Tuam Workhouse on Dublin Road.
    Hi

Just started researching 'The Home' Tuam. This institution was run by The Bon Secours Nuns and information can be traced (Or so I'm told) through The Bon Secours Hospital. Renmore. Galway. Phone 0035391381900. Also information is available throught the following:

<snip>

Good luck with your search!!!!!

I have just sent a letter to the contact you mentioned. Thank you for the information.

I had been referred to the Bon Secours on College Road in Cork and they were unable to provide me with any information.

I did receive very, very limited information from the Western Health Board.

Please let me know how you make out with your research. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ilonawyld

Sorry to contacting you so later after your post, can you let me know if you got very far with your research, I'm looking into this for my mum and she was there in the 1958.

I have just sent a letter to the contact you mentioned. Thank you for the information.

I had been referred to the Bon Secours on College Road in Cork and they were unable to provide me with any information.

I did receive very, very limited information from the Western Health Board.

Please let me know how you make out with your research. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Hello,
    I was in Ireland this past September and went to the site. However, I am not sure it would be the same place you are looking for. At some point the place on Dublin Road, (the old workhouse) was demolished and the children were in another facility at some point it became "the Grove" there is a FB site on it.
    There is information in the Tuam Library regarding the facility, and I obtained a copy of the baptismal cert from the church. Bon Secours ran it when my mom was there and they did not keep the records, they were sent to the Western Health Board in Galway. The information they gave me was minimal. I am going to try this next address, recently posted.
    Good Luck!!

btw - where was your mom then transferred to? They only kept the children for 4 or 5 years, it was considered an "infants orphanage"

Hi. Try the following as they are officially sanctioned by the Government. They provide a tracing service and the institutions tend to be more giving in their information to them. I know of a former resident that ended up working in The Bon Secour Laundry (Paid or unpaid, not sure.) in Glasnevin Dublin.) Keep me posted.

A: Barnardos, Hyde Square, 654 Sth. Circular Rd. Dublin 8
    T: 01 453 0355 (for residents abroad, please call +353 1 453 0355)
    E: origins@barnardos.ie

Hi,

I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick, my mum was a resident at Tuam mother and baby home from 1958 (when she was 14) until it closed (not sure of the date) she was them transfered to Sacred Heart mother and baby home in castlepollard Westmeath where she had a baby boy that was born 23rd December 1958 (this maynot be the exact date). She looked after him until he was 2 or just over, then he was taken (without permission) from Sacred Heart mother and baby home in castlepollard, Now 16 herself she was then put on a bus to dublin to work in a private hospital which was all again arranged by the nuns. Have tried to obtain a birth cert. without any luck so thought we'd try and use the other forms to achieve our goal. Talking to her today she did say that when she was in Tuam she took the children to and from school so maybe it is the wrong place because if it was an infant orphanage and only kept children to 4 or 5 year they wouldn't have started school then, thanks for your help anyway.

Hi,

Thanks for the information I'll try them and see if they can help in my quest (trying to get information out of authorities that don't want to give it to you is hard). Many thanks again.

I am looking for an online article referencing Mother Hortense (home manager) and the children ... I will post it when I find it.

I believe the children DID attend a school/class at the age of 4 or 5, so your mother's recollection may be correct.

Here is a link for Sacred Heart Mother/Baby
    http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/castlepollard.htm

I hope that helps:)

Thanks for all your help and info, got a birth cert. mum had the wrong date it was 1960 not 1958 (memories buried deep in her head) now for the hard work to try and trace him.

Thanks again

I am looking for an online article referencing Mother Hortense (home manager) and the children ... I will post it when I find it.

I believe the children DID attend a school/class at the age of 4 or 5, so your mother's recollection may be correct.

Here is a link for Sacred Heart Mother/Baby
    http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/castlepollard.htm

I hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mpog

The Home in Tuam was on the Dublin Road and the children were taken to school everyday to Mercy and Presentation Convent schools and later the boys to the Christian Brothers, all the schools were also on the Dublin road. The children were there until more that 5 as I remember children from the Home being in my class until at least 2nd or 3rd class.
    ilonawyld wrote: »
    Hi,

I think I may have got the wrong end of the stick, my mum was a resident at Tuam mother and baby home from 1958 (when she was 14) until it closed (not sure of the date) she was them transfered to Sacred Heart mother and baby home in castlepollard Westmeath where she had a baby boy that was born 23rd December 1958 (this maynot be the exact date). She looked after him until he was 2 or just over, then he was taken (without permission) from Sacred Heart mother and baby home in castlepollard, Now 16 herself she was then put on a bus to dublin to work in a private hospital which was all again arranged by the nuns. Have tried to obtain a birth cert. without any luck so thought we'd try and use the other forms to achieve our goal. Talking to her today she did say that when she was in Tuam she took the children to and from school so maybe it is the wrong place because if it was an infant orphanage and only kept children to 4 or 5 year they wouldn't have started school then, thanks for your help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mpog

The Grove was a Hospital. When the home was closed the children were transfered to other homes
    around the country as far as i know.
    Hello,
    I was in Ireland this past September and went to the site. However, I am not sure it would be the same place you are looking for. At some point the place on Dublin Road, (the old workhouse) was demolished and the children were in another facility at some point it became "the Grove" there is a FB site on it.
    There is information in the Tuam Library regarding the facility, and I obtained a copy of the baptismal cert from the church. Bon Secours ran it when my mom was there and they did not keep the records, they were sent to the Western Health Board in Galway. The information they gave me was minimal. I am going to try this next address, recently posted.
    Good Luck!!

btw - where was your mom then transferred to? They only kept the children for 4 or 5 years, it was considered an "infants orphanage"

Thanks for all the information

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carol11

has anyone got any info on the home in tuam ,? I am searching for my brother who was "adopted out"? from there at the age of 4...i got his birth cert but wouldnt know if he was given a new name ? Anyone help please

• Advertisement

If you would like to contact me on my email <snip> I will update you on my search and how I am getting on. I don't go on Boards very often so I miss a lot

Anna:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ado7300

hi,
    i grew up next to the home , remember it well, my grandfather worked in it. if you would like to know more let me know, ado

Would love to know about the background and how the Home operated and about the Hospital in Tuam where I think the girls worked. Any information would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ado7300

hi nanaanna,
    some of the girls still call to us, the only link now they have with their past. some got work in the grove( hospital )after the home closed. this wasn't a new thing, if they signed up to work in the home it got better treatment for their children. some of the children did really well in life and got good jobs ,
    whereabouts are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eirebuddy

Re: ado 7300
    I would love to contact you as regards the 'Home', I have done quite a lot of
    research and have had some published, but my research is ongoing. I note
    your grandfather worked there, so I am hoping you may be able to help me with
    some queries that I cannot find the answers to.

To those trying to find relatives:
    I have done extensive research on the Children's Home in Tuam which resulted in an essay which is published in the current edition of 'JOTS Annual (Journal of the Old Tuam Society). It gives a full history of the 'Home' and stories from former residents, most of whom were fostered out to families in the surrounding townlands. Quite a number of children died in the 'Home' between the years of it's existence 1925-1961, and nearly all of them are buried in the grounds at the back of where the 'Home' once stood. This area is now a housing estate. The graveyard has lain unmarked since the closure of the 'Home', but I am now in the process of having a plaque erected in their memory, and hopefully to list all the little ones who died there on the plaque (there are hundreds!) I would be happy to answer any queries anyone might have, or help in any way I can.
    The best advice, as given already is to contact the HSE West (Galway) for personal information. They will have some records, and sometimes can indicate
    where the mother went when the child was left with the nuns, this can be a very
    good starting point in trying to trace the mother.

I would love to read your essay. Please advise how I may obtain a copy of it.
    Thank you, Heidi

To All out there. How is the search going regarding the Home. Tuam. I am just wondering if anybody had a relative adopted pre the 1952 Adoption Act and do they know where that child was adopted to. Did anybody get copies of the Ledgers under F.O.I. from the Health Board? Again apologies I am not on the site very often but you can email me at <snip>

Can you contact me at <snip> I may be able to help.
    carol11 wrote: »
    has anyone got any info on the home in tuam ,? I am searching for my brother who was "adopted out"? from there at the age of 4...i got his birth cert but wouldnt know if he was given a new name ? Anyone help please

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gcc

Hi all,
    Trying to track my mothers information. She was born 1956 and baptised in tuam and then sent to the "home". She never got a birth cert. Is there anyone who got a person to contact to get information? Or who was the best place to ask? Please let me know.
    Thanks In advance

• Advertisement

Hello, I received a brief summary (one page) of my mom's stay there from the Western Health Board in Galway. She was born there in 1937. She was there until 1941. The baptism Cert was issued from Cathedral of the Assumption. I also managed to get a copy of the birth cert from the Dept of Education and Sisters of Mercy.
    You can contact me at <snip> if you think I can help you.

Advertisement