Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

easy peasy wrote: »
    While I don't agree with POM getting a central contract, I think the decision may have been made as a more big picture move.

Munster have four centrally contracted players, Earls, Murray, Stander and O'Mahony. Earls is up in the summer, as is Stander. Realistically Earls won't renew and that will go to Jordan Larmour or Hugo Keenan or won't be given to anyone. Stander will hopefully sign on but if he doesn't, that one is going to Doris.

This would leave Munster with two and Leinster with 9-10? This obviously doesn't work and would mean Munster would seriously struggle to balance the books while Leinster would be able to afford a massive squad.

Maybe POM was just the wrong man in the right place.

That's a great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jesus.

I could have done without seeing that today. :mad:

Ha...I realised after I typed it that I'll have hit the half century by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bilston wrote: »
    Ha...I realised after I typed it that I'll have hit the half century by then!

Only a couple behind ya. Can't wait to see Buer's speech at your party tbh.

The collective "Shut Up Buer" will be something to behold.

Excuse me while I go an puke into my own scorn at your reminder of my own mortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bilston you really were on a roll yesterday weren't you? Reminding us all of a lack of pints & social life before reminding us all that we're getting old.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

BANHAMMER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nah lads, we’ll all be in our 30s...

The 2030s ....

CCz63thC_400x400.jpg

No pictures of Ainsley, please and thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭phog

easy peasy wrote: »
    While I don't agree with POM getting a central contract, I think the decision may have been made as a more big picture move.

Munster have four centrally contracted players, Earls, Murray, Stander and O'Mahony. Earls is up in the summer, as is Stander. Realistically Earls won't renew and that will go to Jordan Larmour or Hugo Keenan or won't be given to anyone. Stander will hopefully sign on but if he doesn't, that one is going to Doris.

This would leave Munster with two and Leinster with 9-10? This obviously doesn't work and would mean Munster would seriously struggle to balance the books while Leinster would be able to afford a massive squad.

Maybe POM was just the wrong man in the right place.

Doesn't the IRFU pay all IQ players playing for the 4 provinces? In fact, bar a few exceptions I think they pay all the players playing for the 4 provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

No pictures of Ainsley, please and thanks.

Can't be dealing with a raging horn this hour of the morn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

phog wrote: »
    Doesn't the IRFU pay all IQ players playing for the 4 provinces? In fact, bar a few exceptions I think they pay all the players playing for the 4 provinces.

They do, in the way of assigning budgets to each province and provincial contracts are paid from that. Central contracts are outside of that budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

POM got his central contract on merit lads.

The idea that he got one because Leinster have loads and Munster need to keep theirs doesn't really square with Ulster only having two and Connacht one.

Can't be dealing with a raging horn this hour of the morn?

MMMMMMOOOOOOOOODS!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

POM got his central contract on merit lads.

The idea that he got one because Leinster have loads and Munster need to keep theirs doesn't really square with Ulster only having two and Connacht one.

I agree although the amount of central contracts also reflects the amount of internationals in a set up anyway. Leinster regularly have 13/14 on international duty so need more quality depth than others. There is a sort of innate fairness in the system too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    Bilston you really were on a roll yesterday weren't you? Reminding us all of a lack of pints & social life before reminding us all that we're getting old.....

Getting??????????????? Some of us are already there.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Healy signs once year contract extension.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Healy signs once year contract extension.

Good hes getting on but is still our starting lh. It will be very interesting to see how the opinions on this mesh with the opinions on pom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Killer, Byrne and EOS haven't really had the chance to establish themselves as better than Healy so you can't really complain. Some man to hit rucks Cian in fairness - even if he has Popsicles for fingers at this stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Killer, Byrne and EOS haven't really had the chance to establish themselves as better than Healy so you can't really complain. Some man to hit rucks Cian in fairness - even if he has Popsicles for fingers at this stage

If Killer gets a good, injury-free run, I could see him getting the starting spot ahead of Healy. Our scrum platform has been very good this 6 Nations tho, and he's a big part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭roverjoyce

They don't get the chance as the unwritten rule of having to pick centrally contracted players continues to happen

Why not let him go under contract at Leinster and is he is good enough he plays, he is at that age where he wouldn't be looking abroad

roverjoyce wrote: »
    They don't get the chance as the unwritten rule of having to pick centrally contracted players continues to happen

It doesn't. Toner, Jack McGrath, Aki and POM have all suffered various degrees of being left out of the 15 to being dropped from the squad while centrally contracted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

aloooof wrote: »
    It doesn't. Toner, Jack McGrath, Aki and POM have all suffered various degrees of being left out of the 15 to being dropped from the squad while centrally contracted.

Come on alooof.

You're letting facts get in the way of a good narrative here

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

obviously thats false.....

unless youre trying to argue some metaphysical Schrodinger's cat of something that can both exist and not exist at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good hes getting on but is still our starting lh. It will be very interesting to see how the opinions on this mesh with the opinions on pom

The difference between Healy and POM is there is no obvious replacement for Healy. Kilcoyne is the next best but he is a year younger? And not obviously better. In POM's case there are a lot contenders who are younger and look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Why not let him go under contract at Leinster and is he is good enough he plays, he is at that age where he wouldn't be looking abroad

Jack McGrath
    Devin Toner
    Peter O'Mahony
    Conor Murray
    Bundee Aki
    Robbie Henshaw
    Keith Earls
    Rob Kearney

All have been either dropped or not selected while centrally contracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Unfortunately Healy is still our top loose head and with his back up only a year younger and not an obvious upgrade on him. In an ideal world Porter would be out next loose head and Healy then wouldn't get a central contract. Loose head and hoooker is a real area of weakness for Ireland at the moment. Apples and oranges scenario with healy and Pom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's going to quite a bloodbath for extensions for 2022/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

There's going to quite a bloodbath for extensions for 2022/23.

I'd imagine IRFU are going to have friends back, but more money in the coffers to ease the burden.

Not sure of who's contacts are up but behind 2023 I think we'll be saying good bye to a lot of the current squad.

Healy, Herring, POM, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Earls will all be gone for definite sure.

Fredinho wrote: »
    I'd imagine IRFU are going to have friends back, but more money in the coffers to ease the burden.

Not sure of who's contacts are up but behind 2023 I think we'll be saying good bye to a lot of the current squad.

Healy, Herring, POM, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Earls will all be gone for definite sure.

Is Herring on a central deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

What do people think about farrell courting the lions assistant coach position?

Obviously no guarantee a lions tour will go ahead and also no guarantee of an Irish tour this summer either v the Pacific island teams over there or in oz.

I think if he prioritises a potential back up role on the lions v south africa over his head coach position with ireland he should close the door behind himself on his way out.

Some could argue the point that a lot of irelands main players would be on the lions and playing against South africa who we will meet at the world cup.

But for me this summer 2 years out from a world cup working with a lot of younger fringe players potentially winning their first caps and being in camp for 5 or 6 weeks is more important than his personal gratification of being involved in the lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Obviously no guarantee a lions tour will go ahead and also no guarantee of an Irish tour this summer either v the Pacific island teams over there or in oz.

I think if he prioritises a potential back up role on the lions v south africa over his head coach position with ireland he should close the door behind himself on his way out.

Some could argue the point that a lot of irelands main players would be on the lions and playing against South africa who we will meet at the world cup.

But for me this summer 2 years out from a world cup working with a lot of younger fringe players potentially winning their first caps and being in camp for 5 or 6 weeks is more important than his personal gratification of being involved in the lions.

Could learn an awful lot from coaching the Lions and be better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If he is available to Gatland, Gatland will take him as he is a World Class assistant coach but perhaps not a world class head (based on evidence so far)

Could learn an awful lot from coaching the Lions and be better for it.

He could... but he could learn an awful lot about some of the younger irish players by coaching them and gaining head coach experience on a tour which he needs prior to world cup.

He could... but he could learn an awful lot about some of the younger irish players by coaching them and gaining head coach experience on a tour which he needs prior to world cup.

what tour?

Did Wales fans care when Gatland left to do the Lions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Loose head certainly is problematic. Healy looks slow and underpowered in the loose. Kilcoyne only a year younger. I can understand why Healy got the contract and fair play to him. But, one loose head surely must raise his head over the parapet over the next year!
    I think Killer will pass Healy over the next year. He's so much better as a carrying threat. But behind him?
    Ed Byrne to me doesn't cut the mustard. He's a good player and is mobile, but he's not international class, imo. E.O.S is probably the next in line. He needs to up him game a bit, obviously. I reckon he can do a job for us and I 'd be surprised if he's not in the 23 next year.

We're low on quality at loose head and moving Porter back would be nuts, imo. Who becomes the back up tight head? O'Toole is favorite and I think is not ready yet.

The top young loose heads would be
    Wycherly, a long way off atm
    Milne, a long way off
    Duggan, I haven't seen much of him
    Liam O'Connor, needs to get past Cronin.

James Cronin is an option. But he is 30 years old and hasn't made a camp in years. Dennis Buckley is 30 and has not made a camp. Peter Dooley is a good provincial player. Jack McGrath hasn't got back to form and is 31.

I suppose the coaching team will stick with Healy and Kilcoyne until there's a viable alternative.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what tour?

A potential tour in Australia taking on Pacific Island teams..

Did Wales fans care when Gatland left to do the Lions?

Good point. However he took a 6 months plus sabbatical to be lions head coach. He had head coach experience with Wales and a world cup under his belt.

We are talking about a head coach with less than 2 years head coach experience leaving his team mid world cup cycle to be an assistant coach. Id like to know where his priorities lie.

Obviously if we have no irish tour you'd imagine
    there will be some summer camp arranged for players not playing lions rugby this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Yeah this is rumored alright, nothing will be confirmed until the end of the month they've said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Has Farrell said he is going on the Lions tour or even thinking about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

How many matches on the tour? I would like to see us play Japan. Or Fiji!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Dubinusa wrote: »
    How many matches on the tour? I would like to see us play Japan. Or Fiji!!

Australia need money and they lost out on the 2 game tour last season. I expect they will want the 2 games plus maybe a pacific island team in Aus

pipe dream at this stage

if the lions games are confirmed ahead of any irish tour being confirmed, then of course he should go with the lions.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Australia need money and they lost out on the 2 game tour last season. I expect they will want the 2 games plus maybe a pacific island team in Aus

I think Australia are playing France in a 3 game tour this summer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    pipe dream at this stage

if the lions games are confirmed ahead of any irish tour being confirmed, then of course he should go with the lions.

I doubt the irfu want to give players the months of May( if dont get to h Cup finals) June and July off..

If no tours you'd imagine they will be playing Wales or Scotland or similar over 3 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dublin49

Carty playing well and kicking well,should be closer to another cap than he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

dublin49 wrote: »

You're ignoring half of his performance presumably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

dublin49 wrote: »

Tbh I think he's shown exactly why he can't get into the Ireland squad

Mixed the good with the bad. Haley did more for his Irish chances than Carty IMO.

Can see Thornbury picking up a cap this Summer if some of Beirne, Ryan, Henderson go Lions touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Too late for Haley to get into the Irish squad this time but if we're going on a summer tour, he's firmly in the conversation.

Carty was Carty yet again. Sublime moments punctured by incredibly basic errors. I don't think there's another 10 that would have executed that grubber and break in the shoulder. The awareness and pass for the opening try was great.

Then he also managed to get blocked down, kick it dead, miss touch and lose 40m with a long, off target pass which turned if over on halfway. He makes it very easy to ignore him as a potential test option.

The best performer from those released was Aki (who isn't going to feature at this stage barring injury regardless). Casey was grand. Great delivery but blocked down twice I think. Murray on form is still a better option overall as unpalatable as that may be to some.

JOD was good again but not going to be in the conversation due to the options in the back row. Blade was good but similar situation.

Conway clearly isn't right. He doesn't have any business at Carton House currently.

Buer wrote: »
    Too late for Haley to get into the Irish squad this time but if we're going on a summer tour, he's firmly in the conversation.

Carty was Carty yet again. Sublime moments punctured by incredibly basic errors. I don't think there's another 10 that would have executed that grubber and break in the shoulder. The awareness and pass for the opening try was great.

Then he also managed to get blocked down, kick it dead, miss touch and lose 40m with a long, off target pass which turned if over on halfway. He makes it very easy to ignore him as a potential test option.

The best performer from those released was Aki (who isn't going to feature at this stage barring injury regardless). Casey was grand. Great delivery but blocked down twice I think. Murray on form is still a better option overall as unpalatable as that may be to some.

JOD was good again but not going to be in the conversation due to the options in the back row. Blade was good but similar situation.

Conway clearly isn't right. He doesn't have any business at Carton House currently.

In terms of Ireland camp, I don’t think Shane Daly was bad 2nite, bit it felt like had one of his poorer games this season. Tho he was on the periphery at points as well, thru no fault of his own. He was always unlikely to get much game time, but I don’t think he’s advanced his case 2nite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement