Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stock picking contest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Amazing to see the S&P500 ranked 39 out of 46 entries, I'll be paying very close attention to the picks next quarter for sure!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Supercell wrote: »
    Amazing to see the S&P500 ranked 39 out of 46 entries, I'll be paying very close attention to the picks next quarter for sure!

You won't be paying much attention to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Anybody know what happened to GHIV was it a spac - whats the new ticker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

hottipper wrote: »
    Anybody know what happened to GHIV was it a spac - whats the new ticker?

Its become UWMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If we did this any other year the returns would be nothing like that. Absolutely crazy month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Shedite27

If we did this any other year the returns would be nothing like that. Absolutely crazy month.

Are you not confident in repeating your 99% YTD return next month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Funnily enough I never actuallly bought any SSTI shares...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

No one has GME? For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭irish_major

Bought gme at 3 dollars earlier this year and sold it at 4 😓😓

• Advertisement

Bought gme at 3 dollars earlier this year and sold it at 4 ����

Last year you mean I'd say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭irish_major

Kilboor wrote: »
    Last year you mean I'd say ;)

Indeed. And it may not have even been 4 dollars i sold it for. It was probably less. Spent like 200 on it on revolut and very nearly forgot about it as i never trade stocks. Wish i had forgotten about it be worth nearly 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭testtech05

Indeed. And it may not have even been 4 dollars i sold it for. It was probably less. Spent like 200 on it on revolut and very nearly forgot about it as i never trade stocks. Wish i had forgotten about it be worth nearly 20k

This stock was one of my 1st buys aswell only a small holding by most peoples standards and was delighted to more than double my money when i sold @ about $12.

It's crazy to see how high it has gone since but well done to anyone who held on in there, not jealous at all!! :)

Damn you TimeToShine :p:p

Edit: Wahoo nevermind

Damn you TimeToShine :p:p

Edit: Wahoo nevermind

TimetoShine on the verge of breaking 100% not bad at all for a few weeks work :D .

Anybody know the new ticker for STOB maybe @codrulz might know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

TimetoShine on the verge of breaking 100% not bad at all for a few weeks work :D .

Anybody know the new ticker for STOB maybe @codrulz might know

ESKN.L

• Advertisement

One of my pics changed ticker, OAC became HIMS (spac merger). Can i get that updated please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

From zero to hero. Thank you Ocugen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Mental watching the swings here over the last few weeks.... one day you're a hero, next day.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Absolutely everyone in profit, average return is 34.7%, whats this, a month later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Timmaay wrote: »
    Absolutely everyone in profit, average return is 34.7%, whats this, a month later?

Hedge funds HATE them

Click here to learn more

Anyone else feel like everything is going to go belly up in the next few months? Feels to me like we're on the precipice of a major market correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

[HTML][/HTML]

It had an unbelievable day and a massive surge at the end of the day. Up 200% today. I luckily managed to get in last week at .95. I regret not dropping it here now. Still not a bad entry point if it keeps going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

mickotoole wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like everything is going to go belly up in the next few months? Feels to me like we're on the precipice of a major market correction.

As long as the stimulus money keeps coming and people are still getting welfare/paid while WFH I can see it holding until after the summer. The real loser is currency deflation, if you have cash sitting in a bank it is taking a hammering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

This is a quarterly stock picking contest.

Everyone gets to pick 3 stocks per quarter.

Will you be adding another 3 sheets at the bottom for Q2/Q3/Q4 instead of separate google sheet links?

Is the idea at the end of Q1 to stop the tickers current prices and give the final gains/prices for the picks?

Personally think we should ALSO keep the Q1 (+ eventually Q2/Q3) picks going until year end so people can see how long those picks play out for and for others they can just see the results at the end of Q1 etc. Would be able to tally for the full year too then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

mickotoole wrote: »

Been talking about market correction for yonks. I don't think it'll happen just on its own without some event, as my parish priest used to say "what we need is another world war to calm the people down". Guy was crazy in the coconut.

Will you be adding another 3 sheets at the bottom for Q2/Q3/Q4 instead of separate google sheet links?

Is the idea at the end of Q1 to stop the tickers current prices and give the final gains/prices for the picks?

Personally think we should ALSO keep the Q1 (+ eventually Q2/Q3) picks going until year end so people can see how long those picks play out for and for others they can just see the results at the end of Q1 etc. Would be able to tally for the full year too then.

yes & yes
    I'm not sure if i can disable editing for 1 sheet and make the other available though, would be great if we can, will check it out and let you know. Either way will leave Q1 running for the year anyways - no harm. I think Q2 should be a new sheet starting from 0% but you can always choose the same stocks again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The fact I am 35th out of 46 by only having a gain of 7% in 6-7 weeks shows what a state the stock market is in!
    Beating the S&P but behind the nasdaq index.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭jams100

retalivity wrote: »
    The fact I am 35th out of 46 by only having a gain of 7% in 6-7 weeks shows what a state the stock market is in!
    Beating the S&P but behind the nasdaq index.

The fact that everyone of the 46 are positive also tells you the same. You could pick a stock out of your a**se over the past 9 months and it would be up 20+%

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Of course the day the competition closes one of my picks (LTR) is currently +17% in the days trading and +17% overall. As it happened I bought a tranche of shares in them during the competition at 45.5c.

One of the drilling results from exploration at their Moora site returned very favourable gold concentrations. More drilling results to come and a new CEO in May, I may go buy some more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

cefh17 wrote: »
    Of course the day the competition closes one of my picks (LTR) is currently +17% in the days trading and +17% overall. As it happened I bought a tranche of shares in them during the competition at 45.5c.

One of the drilling results from exploration at their Moora site returned very favourable gold concentrations. More drilling results to come and a new CEO in May, I may go buy some more

your fine, its got the rest of the month to run

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

your fine, its got the rest of the month to run

You're right.. that is how time/quarters work :o

From being something like 80% up 3wks ago to being -18% (and in last place lol) now, ok picking a pure pennystock and 2 other very speculative growth companies definitely was a risk move that hasn't paid off haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

From being something like 80% up 3wks ago to being -18% (and in last place lol) now, ok picking a pure pennystock and 2 other very speculative growth companies definitely was a risk move that hasn't paid off haha.

Thanks for stepping in and moving me off the bottom, no sudden jumps now before term ends.

OCGN saving my ass. Funnily enough they are doing what I expected VBIV to do for me. Worse luck is that I actually sold my OCGN shares to purchase more VBIV :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

will there be any recovery before the end of the month, crazy swings in such a short period.

Irishder wrote: »
    will there be any recovery before the end of the month, crazy swings in such a short period.
    It's carnage at the minute. Hard to know if we will see any recovery before month end

Ive added a new sheet to the existing spreadsheet for Q2

At the bottom you will see the new sheet/tab titled Q2 2021
    Still time for existing one to run but also think of the next ones

The average gain for everyone is 20.37%, s&p 5% in the same time, not bad given the last 3wks or so growth stocks carnage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Ive added a new sheet to the existing spreadsheet for Q2

At the bottom you will see the new sheet/tab titled Q2 2021
    Still time for existing one to run but also think of the next ones

can any poster join or is it just confined to those in Q!?

Connie

connie147 wrote: »
    can any poster join or is it just confined to those in Q!?

Connie

Open to everyone its just the Q1 sheet thats locked.
    The more the better

Ive added another tab now at the bottom for some extra information on the share picks. Might be useful if you want to do some research on them yourself.
    Its locked - ill copy all the share picks there every few days

The prize was everyone chipping in 100 quid each to the winner wasn't it ?

The prize was everyone chipping in 100 quid each to the winner wasn't it ?

Thought the winner was sharing their returns with everyone else

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Thought the winner was sharing their returns with everyone else

I think we will stick to no prize so ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Mad to think that at one stage everyone was in the green and now its looking like its going to end with only roughly 50% of people in profit.

That being said, I somehow feel more confident in the next quarter :)

When's the cutoff for picking for Q2?

Mad that none of us had the biggest stock of the quarter - GME

Shedite27 wrote: »
    When's the cutoff for picking for Q2?

Mad that none of us had the biggest stock of the quarter - GME

Next Wednesday the 31st of march.
    Lets see if this end of quater sell-off is mostly done or is there more to it.
    Have to choose before next quater starts though just to make it more complicated :pac:

I'd suggest that if you don't post up 3 new picks, your original 3 automatically get rolled over into the next quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

is it closed for new entrants :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement