18-02-2021, 00:06   #1
Pretzill

How hard is quitting?

Hi everyone - I think alcohol has contributed to a lot of stomach issues and weight gain for me, over the years. I would typically drink 1 to 2 bottles of wine a week, I used to drink more regularly. I quit smoking 3.5 years ago and I really started enjoying wine too much, tasted nicer - love it with a meal, snacks, cheese etc.

Recently I got a very bad bout of gastritis, nausea and I have been taking meds for that which I can't drink when I'm taking them so I thought I would use the opportunity of a couple of weeks sobriety to see if I can cut out and lose some weight, get healthy.

But I am scared my lack of willpower will defeat me and the covid evenings will lead me back to wine. Have you any tips on how to approach cutting out the drink?

I smoked for 25 years, I thought I'd never stop but in the end bar the first few weeks I found the process much easier than I ever thought. Even as I type this, I'm telling myself the perfect way forward for me is to cut out for a good while but that I'd still be able to enjoy the odd beer on a summer's day. It's like I don't want to remove that good feeling I get.

Any tips?
Advertisement
18-02-2021, 01:03   #2
W0LFMAN

I used to drink and smoke like you. But when my second son was born with cancer. I had to stop so I could drive to and from the hospital. This make me quit pretty much instantly, now It's been so long not having a drink I never think of it or miss it.
My advice is to fool your mind into thinking that the next bottle of wine will kill you. If you can attach your thoughts to something like that. You won't drink. Mine was easy, at any given moment I had to drive, therefore I couldn't drink.
(3) thanks from:
20-02-2021, 16:40   #3
Pretzill

Thanks Wolfmann

I have something similar in my mind to put me off - I'm a week in but that's not unusual for me, so not finding that hard - It's the reward feeling that I may get next weekend or the weekend after - I don't want that - at least for a few months. See how I go.
Thanks from:
20-02-2021, 22:13   #4
rolling boh

If you are drinking a lot at certain times can you change your routine i know with covid options are a bit limited but you need to do something to take your mind off drinking and getting fitter is one .I used to drink at home but stopped but filled my time by getting fitter even going for a walk you might just break that habit and if you can do that it becomes much easier .
Thanks from:
20-02-2021, 22:36   #5
bilbot79

Im off it at the moment. Just tired of Covid binging at the weekend and need to do something different. First couple of weekends are tough but I'd you just stick it out you get used to it.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2021, 15:19   #6
whitey1

It’s all in the head as far as I’m concerned. Might be different for others but the main thing that helped me stop permanently was the realization, I could socialize, but not drink alcohol. Like you a gastrointestinal illness was the starting point. For 30 days, I couldn’t drink alcohol, caffeine or carbonated beverages

I was very fortunate in that Heineken was my favorite beer so the introduction of Heineken Zero was a game changer for me once the 30 days was up. Becks and St Pauli would be second and third choice

For Xmas, someone bought me a bottle of Alcohol free gin.....there is such a thing believe it or not. Make yourself a nice (NA) G&T using one of the craft tonic waters, a fresh lemon and lots of ice in a nice crystal glass.

For me, constantly explaining to people why I’m not drinking is in fact harder than not drinking itself
(2) thanks from:
21-02-2021, 18:48   #7
Pretzill

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey1 View Post
It’s all in the head as far as I’m concerned. Might be different for others but the main thing that helped me stop permanently was the realization, I could socialize, but not drink alcohol. Like you a gastrointestinal illness was the starting point. For 30 days, I couldn’t drink alcohol, caffeine or carbonated beverages

I was very fortunate in that Heineken was my favorite beer so the introduction of Heineken Zero was a game changer for me once the 30 days was up. Becks and St Pauli would be second and third choice

For Xmas, someone bought me a bottle of Alcohol free gin.....there is such a thing believe it or not. Make yourself a nice (NA) G&T using one of the craft tonic waters, a fresh lemon and lots of ice in a nice crystal glass.

For me, constantly explaining to people why I’m not drinking is in fact harder than not drinking itself
Those non alcoholic drinks sound lovely - yes it's mostly in the head and I'm doing good - had a little craving this evening but I let it pass. I already feel better and more energetic. Thanks for the tips.
22-02-2021, 01:18   #8
whitey1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzill View Post
Those non alcoholic drinks sound lovely - yes it's mostly in the head and I'm doing good - had a little craving this evening but I let it pass. I already feel better and more energetic. Thanks for the tips.

Crazy thing for me is that a craving for a “beer” is not necessarily a craving for an “alcoholic beer”.

After a long week, I’d always have a few Heinekens sitting on the couch on a Friday evening. Now, I just have a few Heineken Zeros instead.

Another tip would be to keep plenty of soda water/seltzer on hand.

Heineken Zero
Soda Water
Heineken Zero
Soda Water

Mission accomplished
(2) thanks from:
27-02-2021, 22:35   #9
Pretzill

14 days
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2021, 22:40   #10
km991148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzill View Post
14 days
Good going!

I find the first two weeks the toughest when taking a break/giving up as you still have the physical addiction fresh in your body.

Once you pass this milestone you can keep going! Well done.

Edit: I hate saying things like well done as it sounds patronising (to me at least!) At worst or cheesy at best. But it's a tough habit to break and when you hit a milestone it's good to recognise it. It's is tough and I do mean well done!

Last edited by km991148; 27-02-2021 at 23:27.
Thanks from:
28-02-2021, 07:52   #11
rolling boh

Two weeks is good and shows you can break the habit .Any habit can be hard at times to break especially drink but it will get easier and your lifestyle will change .keep going that's real progress .
(2) thanks from:
07-03-2021, 22:16   #12
Pretzill

21 Days

This weekend wasn't easy I was tempted by an unopened bottle in the press - but thankfully I resisted. If I get through a weekend it's a mini win! I'm sleeping better and feeling more relaxed.
(2) thanks from:
07-03-2021, 22:21   #13
rolling boh

Doing well a weekend is always a bit harder to keep the drink at bay especially with drink in the house .Good that you feel some benefits should keep up your motivation to stay on course .
28-03-2021, 13:16   #14
prishtinaboy99

Once u get past the physical addiction of some short sober time it’s all about filling your mind with positive stufff activities, support groups,exercise. An idle mind is the biggest devil behind us.
Thanks from:
28-03-2021, 13:23   #15
PokeHerKing

I'm 6 weeks off it today. I won't lie, everyday is a struggle in some shape or form but I'm delighted to be free of it at the same time.

Going to try stay off it till we can go into a pub again and ill hopefully be rewarding myself with a feed of creamy Guinness! Don't think ill ever get an easier opportunity to have an extended period off it as there's nowhere to be and no social pressure.

Good luck to anyone trying to stay dry!
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion