Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Houses once owned by ancestors - how do I go about learning more?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I have come across a few ancestors for which I know the address at which they lived, but I wonder how/when the property left the family. I guess this might even have come up in wills. So I have some questions :)

Can I easily look up details for when they bought/sold the house? Is there a charge/where do I go? E.g. one would property be on the main street in Dalkey, Co. Dublin. Would the local library be any use?
    And were wills common among the working class? I've never looked one up before (and I imagine they could hold some gems). Do you have any advice as to how easily this is? I vaguely remember that there are wills held in the National Archives...

Sorry if these questions have been asked before - link me to an old thread if so :) I've done years of family research for certs, looking through newspapers, parish records, census returns and quizzing relatives, but this is an area I haven't ventured into yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What period are you talking about here, that could change things signficantly? Griffith's valuation is usually a good place to start if you're talking mid-ninteenth century onwards. I'll leave any other comments or advice to those more knowledgeable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've heard a statistic from a professional genealogist that only 2% of people prior to the early 20th century left wills. So unless your ancestors had a lot of land or were wealthy, there won't be one. And in more general circumstances, a lot of wills were destroyed in the 1922 four courts destruction. What does survive is in the National Archives and there are also public record office abstracts of wills and calendar books for each with a little summary. You also get some wills in the Registry of Deeds, which is what you want for a property search - just like today. If you're buying a property, your solicitor does a search in the registry of deeds going back a fair amount of time (my own newly built apartment had a search done of at least 120 years).

Before you go to the RoD, which is still a very Victorian setup sans computers, albeit with helpful staff and lovely surroundings, check in directories. Thoms for Dublin, Guys for Cork, Slaters/Pigots/Ferrars for the wider country. If it's a good sized property, it may well be listed in them and by checking every couple of years (Thoms starts about 1840s but there's other Dublin ones before it), you could build up a good link. Pearse St library has the best and easiest to access collection but they are also in the National Library and the new archives in Swords has a good selection.

Another option is the valuations office, in the same building as the GRO research room. Rates were paid until the 1970s, so you can search back an address in there. Griffiths would indeed be useful, but it may be too early for your information.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Well, I know that one property was owned in 1911 and probably some some time before hand, but a marriage two years later may have resulted in the property being lost. I'd like to know how/why it moved out of their ownership.

I'll look into the Registry of Deeds :) And maybe Thom's Directory... Thanks for all the info on wills and this property search; much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I have a number of Thom's directories - If you want to post the details, and dates I can have a look for you.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

pm'd. thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement