Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you legally become a Traveller in Ireland?

Options
  • 28-11-2020 3:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

They have been granted ethnic status so how do you become a Traveller in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marry your cousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Buy a caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely you have to be born one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Rob gates

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Looking for serious discussion only

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

There is no fundamental capability ... or culpability

those who say they know don't know those you say they do not know those who say they know.

Pick that one out of your whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

I think you need at least a b+ in fly tipping? Could be a rumour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

NIMAN wrote: »
    Surely you have to be born one.

But how is it proven?For example Third level have Traveller access routes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Rob gates

I knew a lad called Bobby Gates, once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sasta le wrote:

I think for the above you just declare yourself to be a traveller.

It's an interesting question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What does ethnic status actually legally mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

sasta le wrote: »
    Looking for serious discussion only

Is it something you're giving serious consideration to? Be prepared to take a constant unchallenged stream of abuse from the vast majority of the population regardless of how you live your life based on this new found status you seem to be envious of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

I spent a while reading up on ethnicity and the best way to ask someone's ethnicity is an open ended question.

I may identify my ethnicity as white Irish, Irish, smelly, brown haired, whatever I like. I could throw in whatever I like, Irish jedi traveller.

What are the benefits to identifying as an ethnic minority?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

As far as I know, the only time the law has attempted to define what a traveller is is in the 1988 Housing Act:

(7) This section shall be deemed to have come into operation on the 2nd day of October, 1984.

Provision of sites for travellers.

13.—(1) This section applies to persons belonging to the class of persons who traditionally pursue or have pursued a nomadic way of life.

So, if you have pursued a nomadic way of life, you’re in. That has been extended to include families of such persons, so if you marry a traveller, you’re also in. The black guy who married Mrs Ward after her husband died is a traveller at law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

It would be on your birth certificate.

Father. John-Joe NcDonagh.

Mother: Winnie Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's like being Jewish. AFAIK you can't "become" a Jew. You have to be born a Jew

I'm not sure why you'd want to become a traveler.They have better protection from racial abuse now but they don't get any special treatment from social welfare & the likes. The cons would very much outweigh the pros IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Here's your problem. If you were a traveler there would be a record of it from starting school. You'd find it difficult making your way through school years without the department of education knowing that you were a traveler & only announce it aged 18 looking for a collage place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Mods haven't seen this thread yet obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Is it something you're giving serious consideration to? Be prepared to take a constant unchallenged stream of abuse from the vast majority of the population regardless of how you live your life based on this new found status you seem to be envious of.

Would they not enjoy a free pass for every transgression from Kitty Holland and the rest of the media?

Seriously through, it presumably would be advantageous. If you're a traveller on paper you would benefit from official Ireland. If in practice you're not a traveller, nobody in the rest of life is going to discrimate against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Very interesting discussion.

My surname is one that would be found frequently among the traveller community and there would have been traveller communities with that name in the locations where my great grandfather and grandfather grew up (different counties).

But we are very much a settled family. However I'm not averse to spending a few weeks in France each year (Covid permitting) in a mobile home on a campsite :D

I've done DNA testing for Genealogy purposes. I can't see there being anything there that would prove or disprove my heritage. Unless there is mass testing and sharing of DNA from the Traveller Community. And even then, who knows, there MAY be links.

Its a good debate to have.

When studying sociology we were told that culture was defined as the Shared attitudes, beliefs and behaviours of a group. In effect something that could be mimicked for all intents and purposes.

If you look at other things where discrimination can occur - all of them can be proven to some extent: Gender, Age, Marital Status, Nationality, Family Status etc. How can you prove membership of the Traveller Community?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Thread closed for Mods' review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's like being Jewish. AFAIK you can't "become" a Jew. You have to be born a Jew

Of course you can convert to Judaism

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement