Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Court summons no insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Use a GDPR subject access request to get a copy of the recordings of your conversation with the Insurance company. If they have said on the call that you are insured, then, provided you have given them a true and complete description of the situation you believed (and had a valid reason to believe) you were not driving without insurance. If you can't get that recording then it will be very difficult to argue you were insured, as the date you purchased the car would be considered to be the date the car is yours, not the date it was registered to you, and from that date the driving other cars extension would not apply. This may/may not get the case dismissed and may/may not get the punishment reduced. It depends very much on the judge on the day. If you can't get this case dismissed then you will get a driving ban (either a direct ban from driving without insurance or from the penalty points). The judge may also decide that you would have been insured had you contacted the insurance company before being stopped instead of after.
    Don't try to argue that you didn't own the vehicle at the time. You will not be able to convince a judge that a UK seller allowed you to bring the car here and make an appointment to re-register it without selling it to you (unless the previous owner is a close relative who is willing to stand in front of the judge and say that). Even if they will stand up and say it, there will be a question of why you didn't say that to the Garda the stopped you.
    This doesn't get you out of the non-production of insurance.
    You need to talk to a good solicitor, as your defence is a very non-standard defence. You are relying on the verbal statement of an authorised agent of the insurance company over-riding the contents of the written document and it will take a lot of convincing for the judge to accept it. How the argument is presented will be key to winning this case.

What you should have done is transferred your insurance to the new car (some insurance companies will require the VIN instead of the registration, and some will only allow a short period before the car has to have an Irish registration number) or continued driving your old car until the new car was registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If my reading of this is right, the OP sought clarification from his insurers on whether he was covered or not AFTER the event took place. Doesn't really matter what way the conversation went (we only have one version of the call), if proof of purchase is provided showing the transaction was concluded prior to being stopped, that's the end of the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MinniexD

If my reading of this is right, the OP sought clarification from his insurers on whether he was covered or not AFTER the event took place. Doesn't really matter what way the conversation went (we only have one version of the call), if proof of purchase is provided showing the transaction was concluded prior to being stopped, that's the end of the matter

No I asked previous times prior to the event as well as after event and I was told I was covered. If I didn't clarify before the incident I wouldn't have been driving the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Doesn't work that way. You think the person the op bought it from will get involved, say they owned it at the time and that they gave permission to the op to drive it. Not a hope. That's a condition of the third party extension in most cases.

Even if they did, it would be an obvious attempt to circumvent a conviction and would not be looked on kindly by a judge. I wouldn't risk that

The Vehicle Licensing Certificate or logbook is a legal document. If the car wasn't legally in the OP's name at the time they were stopped how can they be considered the legal owner of the vehicle? So if the ownership was transferred over at a date after they were stopped they should have a defence if they meet their insurers criteria to legally drive the vehicle under third party extension.

OP what date is the vehicle transferred into your name on the logbook and what date were you stopped?

The Vehicle Licensing Certificate or logbook is a legal document.?

It's a legal document, but it's not proof of ownership

• Advertisement

MinniexD wrote: »
    No I asked previous times prior to the event as well as after event and I was told I was covered. If I didn't clarify before the incident I wouldn't have been driving the car.

Fair enough, if the (incorrect) advice you were given over the phone was that you were covered to drive, the recordings will be of assistance to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What did you ask? Because if it was "Can I drive a car I have bought which hasn't been transferred to my name yet on my driving other cars extension?" and they said yes you have a terrible insurance company.

What does it say in your policy documents because that is what the judge will ask to see. Every policy document I have had says that the car can't be owned by me and you own something when you hand over the money, how else could you transfer your insurance if you don't own it?

Del2005 wrote: »
    What did you ask? Because if it was "Can I drive a car I have bought which hasn't been transferred to my name yet on my driving other cars extension?" and they said yes you have a terrible insurance company.

Pretty much yeah. Company was fbd. Was stopped on the 5th and car was vrtd on the 8th. I think I checked 3 time to pior this event about the third party extension. I've had the car since april.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What does it say in your policy documents because that is what the judge will ask to see. Every policy document I have had says that the car can't be owned by me and you own something when you hand over the money, how else could you transfer your insurance if you don't own it?

Once a buyer pays for the car, they have an insurable interest in it. The transfer of registered ownership is a formality and does not mean there is no valid insurance until it takes effect.

Once a buyer pays for the car, they have an insurable interest in it. The transfer of registered ownership is a formality and does not mean there is no valid insurance until it takes effect.

That's the problem OP faces. He owned the car but did not put it on cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Agreed again...Not sure why people still argue this... Pointed this out hours ago and people still saying "oh well if Shannon don't have your name it's not yours"..... Nonsense

Which means that they cannot drive it on their own policy using the driving other cars extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you pay the previous owner and he hands you the keys, you become the legal owner of a car. And the OP told the Garda that he had bought the car. So it's completely irrelevant who was the registered owner at the time the OP was stopped.

I'd also question the value of what the OP's insurance told her on the phone. It's telling that the agent she spoke to is unable to put his advice (that the OP was covered) in writing. That's because it's easy to be nice on the phone but a letter would have to be approved by a supervisor and (as it relates to cover) probably someone in legal so that looks like it's a non-starter. Why? Because she was not covered.

Could the OP get a transcript or recording of the call and bring it into court? Possibly, but what value will it have? The broker for the publicans who sued FBD recently was told by an FBD person in a phone call that the policy covered them for a pandemic. FBD refuted this but never denied that the phone call happened. If the advice given over the phone was binding on them, that case wouldn't have lasted more than an hour in the High Court. Instead the case ran on for several days and the legal costs ran into the hundreds of thousands. And the judge reserved judgement.

Why didn't the evidence of that phone call end the case and force FBD to settle? Because nothing that is said by an agent or servant of the company can vary the terms of the policy, that's why. Same applies here.

Which all leads back to something I have stated repeatedly on the insurance forum - you should never phone your insurance company and ask them about cover. Because you cannot rely on what they tell you. Read the policy document, that is the legal basis for your contract of insurance, not what a call agent tells you.

Every policy document I have ever read says that 'driving other cars' cover does not apply if you own the car. It couldn't be simpler - the OP was not covered to drive that car.

Pretty much yeah. Company was fbd. Was stopped on the 5th and car was vrtd on the 8th. I think I checked 3 time to pior this event about the third party extension. I've had the car since april.

I'm with FBD and in the policy document under 3rd party driving of other cars the 1st point is that the car does not belong to me. No matter what they told you over the phone the policy document is what the judge will decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

coylemj wrote: »
    When you pay the previous owner and he hands you the keys, you become the legal owner of a car. And the OP told the Garda that he had bought the car. So it's completely irrelevant who was the registered owner at the time the OP was stopped.

I'd also question the value of what the OP's insurance told her on the phone. It's telling that the agent she spoke to is unable to put his advice (that the OP was covered) in writing. That's because it's easy to be nice on the phone but a letter would have to be approved by a supervisor and (as it relates to cover) probably someone in legal so that looks like it's a non-starter. Why? Because she was not covered.

Could the OP get a transcript or recording of the call and bring it into court? Possibly, but what value will it have? The broker for the publicans who sued FBD recently was told by an FBD person in a phone call that the policy covered them for a pandemic. FBD refuted this but never denied that the phone call happened. If the advice given over the phone was binding on them, that case wouldn't have lasted more than an hour in the High Court. Instead the case ran on for several days and the legal costs ran into the hundreds of thousands. And the judge reserved judgement.

Why didn't the evidence of that phone call end the case and force FBD to settle? Because nothing that is said by an agent or servant of the company can vary the terms of the policy, that's why. Same applies here.

Which all leads back to something I have stated repeatedly on the insurance forum - you should never phone your insurance company and ask them about cover. Because you cannot rely on what they tell you. Read the policy document, that is the legal basis for your contract of insurance, not what a call agent tells you.

Every policy document I have ever read says that 'driving other cars' cover does not apply if you own the car. It couldn't be simpler - the OP was not covered to drive that car.

If the o/p was told by a broker that he was covered by an underwriter, when he wasn't he can sue the broker on his professional indemnity policy. That would mean the o/p was covered to drive. What the o/p needs to do is get the brokers policy.

If the o/p was told by a broker that he was covered by an underwriter, when he wasn't he can sue the broker on his professional indemnity policy. That would mean the o/p was covered to drive. What the o/p needs to do is get the brokers policy.

I rang fbd after the incident and they spend the day talking to the underwriters of the company which came back that evening to me and said I was covered even though they know the car was bought already by me but I wasn't actually the registered owner. So is the insurance company in the wrong then? All calls were recorded during this which my solicitor is going to go for.

The broker's indemnity policy doesnot provide the cover required by the RTA. And sue them for what? This isn't about who is picking up the tab after an accident, did you bother to even read the first post? Where the OP said (in the first sentence) that she was stopped at a checkpoint.

But in any event, it wasn't a broker, she phoned the insurance company. This thread relates solely to a summons for driving without insurance.

I rang fbd after the incident and they spend the day talking to the underwriters of the company which came back that evening to me and said I was covered even though they know the car was bought already by me but I wasn't actually the registered owner. So is the insurance company in the wrong then? All calls were recorded during this which my solicitor is going to go for.

Then ask the underwriters to put that in writing and bring the letter to court. With a covering letter from FDB saying that those underwriters provide the cover for your policy.

That's not right and you're getting ahead of the situation. If the broker incorrectly told the OP that he was covered when he wasn't, he would indeed be able to seek compensation for professional negligence. But that will be a financial matter regarding the loss incurred by the claimant resulting from the action, it won't magically grant cover for the OP to drive under his insurance policy

As for seeking the brokers PI policy, that has nothing to do with anyone. Sue for compensation if you like, but the existence, or lack of a PI policy doesn't come in to it and you are not entitled to a copy of ANYBODY'S insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I am surprised that the insurance company are in any way hesitant in addressing this matter on the phone. It would appear to me to be very straightforward. I wonder if the position is being correctly represented to them?

This was the OP’s car. The registered owner of any vehicle is not necessarily the legal or beneficial owner, particularly in circumstances where a vehicle had just changed hands. An admission from the OP to the Garda that he had just purchased is the final nail in that coffin.

I wouldn’t however undervalue the significance of a customer service agent of the insurer confirming that the policy did in fact cover him to drive the car. Employees of a business (or insurer) can indeed bind their employer to terms which falls outside the usual policy of a business. If the telephone call confirms that this confirmation was in fact unequivocally extended to the OP by the insurers call centre, it is evidence of some significance. Indeed it may well result in a strike out, particularly where such confirmation was obtained prior to the encounter with the Garda. But it all hinges on the availability of audio recordings which corroborate the OP’s assertions.

• Advertisement

It's a legal document, but it's not proof of ownership

That's exactly what it is. The person whose name is on the logbook is the legal owner of the vehicle according to the Department of Transport.

If I buy a car off you today and tell you to wait until the start of next month to submit the change of ownership (to avoid paying motor tax for this month for example) and I get parking tickets or get caught speeding by a go safe van etc. who do you think is liable in the eyes of the law?

For all the world OP could have had an agreement with the car owner to test drive the car for a week but pay them a 'deposit' to see if they were happy with it and could have gone back to the owner to return their money if the car didn't suit them.

That's exactly what it is. The person whose name is on the logbook is the legal owner of the vehicle according to the Department of Transport.

If I buy a car off you today and tell you to wait until the start of next month to submit the change of ownership (to avoid paying motor tax for this month for example) and I get parking tickets or get caught speeding by a go safe van etc. who do you think is liable in the eyes of the law?

For all the world OP could have had an agreement with the car owner to test drive the car for a week but pay them a 'deposit' to see if they were happy with it and could have gone back to the owner to return their money if the car didn't suit them.

Not really.

It’s the responsibility of the seller to submit the change of ownership documentation, when a vehicle is sold.

In relation to the parking tickets query, the new owner would be responsible, despite the fact that they may initially to sent to the previous owner.

Extended Test Drive? - Not very plausible, particularly in the case of car imported from outside the state. And the OP has already made admissions at the roadside. Such a defence would very quickly be seen through as bogus. I wouldn’t advise running it.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t however undervalue the significance of a customer service agent of the insurer confirming that the policy did in fact cover him to drive the car. Employees of a business (or insurer) can indeed bind their employer to terms which falls outside the usual policy of a business. If the telephone call confirms that this confirmation was in fact unequivocally extended to the OP by the insurers call centre, it is evidence of some significance.

It’s not binding on the employer if it can be retracted, in which case it carries no weight whatsoever. As happened in the FBD case concerning cover (or lack of) for pandemic....
    Paul Shanahan, who is a Business Development Executive with FBD, accepted that he told Noel Anderson – the managing director of The Lemon and Duke bar-restaurant – in early March that FBD’s policy covered business disruption losses caused by Covid-19.

Anderson, whose partners in the bar-restaurant include Irish rugby players Sean O’Brien, brothers Dave and Rob Kearney, and Jamie Heaslip, told the High Court yesterday that he switched to FBD because he had heard its policies covered coronavirus.

Shanahan accepted that he informed Anderson in an email in early March that its policy covered losses that may arise due to Covid-19 in the event of a forced closure.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fbd-employee-bar-covid-insurance-5233572-Oct2020/

His statement was refuted by FBD. Had they been bound by it (as you claim they should have been), they would have been forced to pay the claim. Even though the plaintiffs (the publicans) had it in an email, FBD was able to assert that it did not form part of the terms and conditions of the policy.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Not really.

It’s the responsibility of the seller to submit the change of ownership documentation, when a vehicle is sold.

In relation to the parking tickets query, the new owner would be responsible, despite the fact that they may initially to sent to the previous owner.

Extended Test Drive? - Not very plausible, particularly in the case of car imported from outside the state. And the OP has already made admissions at the roadside. Such a defence would very quickly be seen through as bogus. I wouldn’t advise running it.

I have bought cars in the past close to the end of a month and the seller has agreed to hold out transferring the car for a couple of days until the start of a new month.

Might be a stretch but does happen especially with people that know each other and occasionally with dealers. My uncle was a mechanic and used to often be given cars from the dealer he dealt with for weeks before handing over a penny.

A decent solicitor should be able to present this as a flimsy enough case against the OP if the car was only registered in their name after the OP was stopped at the checkpoint. Very hard for the judge to convict if all the paperwork states that someone else was registered as the owner at the time of the 'offence'

If you have legal capacity to buy a car and pay over the agreed price, you own the car. The rest is just ifs, buts and maybes. That's the legalities of it

coylemj wrote: »
    It’s not binding on the employer if it can be retracted, in which case it carries no weight whatsoever. As happened in the FBD case concerning cover (or lack of) for pandemic....

https://www.thejournal.ie/fbd-employee-bar-covid-insurance-5233572-Oct2020/

His statement was refuted by FBD. Had they been bound by it (as you claim they should have been), they would have been forced to pay the claim. Even though the plaintiffs (the publicans) had it in an email, FBD was able to assert that it did not form part of the terms and conditions of the policy.

There are several variations, and much higher stakes in that case, hence weeks of hearings.

I wasn’t aware there was any adjudication by the high court on the evidence presented? Has there been a judgement?

I have bought cars in the past close to the end of a month and the seller has agreed to hold out transferring the car for a couple of days until the start of a new month.

Might be a stretch but does happen especially with people that know each other and occasionally with dealers. My uncle was a mechanic and used to often be given cars from the dealer he dealt with for weeks before handing over a penny.

A decent solicitor should be able to present this as a flimsy enough case against the OP if the car was only registered in their name after the OP was stopped at the checkpoint. Very hard for the judge to convict if all the paperwork states that someone else was registered as the owner at the time of the 'offence'

Based on what he has told us, I wouldn’t see it as flimsy at all. It will be very difficult at this stage to cast sufficient doubt at to the ownership of the car. A dealer would be somewhat different.

The OP admitted to the Garda that they owned it and showed them the booking for the VRT inspection.

You are committing insurance fraud, which has serious consequences if found out, to avoid a few Euro of motor tax!

The OP admitted to the Garda that they owned it and showed them the booking for the VRT inspection.

You are committing insurance fraud, which has serious consequences if found out, to avoid a few Euro of motor tax!

How do you figure I'm committing insurance fraud?

• Advertisement

If you have legal capacity to buy a car and pay over the agreed price, you own the car. The rest is just ifs, buts and maybes. That's the legalities of it

But in the eyes of the law it will only show the car as being owned from the date on the logbook.

Advertisement