Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Social Housing (Savings)

Options
  • 18-11-2020 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

What is the max amount of savings you're allowed to have when you apply for social housing? I earn 20k a year but defo want to save a little if I can.

Also if you turn down a council house then I read you have to wait 12 months? And then what? Do they make you another offer? Is there a limit to the amount of offers they make?

Also if you income starts ecceeding 35k are you owed back the money you got say in rental support? Cause I hear that when you're on the waiting list for a house they pay you rental support (or HAP?) so you don't have to pay much rent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

What is the max amount of savings you're allowed to have when you apply for social housing? I earn 20k a year but defo want to save a little if I can.

Also if you turn down a council house then I read you have to wait 12 months? And then what? Do they make you another offer? Is there a limit to the amount of offers they make?

Also if you income starts ecceeding 35k are you owed back the money you got say in rental support? Cause I hear that when you're on the waiting list for a house they pay you rental support (or HAP?) so you don't have to pay much rent.

Hap is something you need to apply for if accepted onto the housing list and its not paid to you but to your landlord. So your landlord must be willing to sign up for it too.

As for the income limit, if you exceed the income limit then you are no longer entitled to be on th housing list and they would remove you when a means test was preformed. (they conduct a means test on the application to the list, on app to hap, and on receiving an offer of housing.

As for turning down an offer of housing. Firstly it could be well over 10 years before you even receive an offer, and if you turn it down then you are i believe suspended from the list for a year, and will not b considered for a home during this time, if you turn down a second offer i believe you are permanently removed from th list therefore losing any entitlement to hap also

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

wifey28 wrote: »
    ....As for the income limit, if you exceed the income limit then you are no longer entitled to be on th housing list and they would remove you when a means test was preformed....

This is valid if you are permanent employed, if you are an agency worker, renewing the contract every 2,3 months, even you get over 50k/year, you are not removed from housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

emy wrote: »
    , even you get over 50k/year, you are not removed from housing list.

Yes you are they have income limits for a reason ..

50k would be way above the income limits for Dublin and they would be removed from the housing list

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GoldenSlumbers

okay cool. and can anyone answer how much saving you're allowed to have while on the social housing list.

Advertisement