Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a manager of a team in this industry, how much time of your week/work should you p

Options
  • 07-11-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

*should you spend each week/month on educating / helping/sharing information/training your staff and empowering them with your knowledge/experience for their advancement?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What industry? Public Practice, a service industry? Financial Institutions, manufacturing?

And what size team, if you are dealing with a few or ten plus it is different.

Last assignment I did before retirement was 100% coaching and mentoring in banking operations. Some days I would help a team member work through an issue, other days give a workshop or write some training materials. And on some days when there were no issues I went home by lunchtime. And about once or twice a month I get called out in the middle of the night when there had been a major incident and the team were doing the headless chicken dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Jim2007 wrote: »
    What industry? Public Practice, a service industry? Financial Institutions, manufacturing?

And what size team, if you are dealing with a few or ten plus it is different.

Last assignment I did before retirement was 100% coaching and mentoring in banking operations. Some days I would help a team member work through an issue, other days give a workshop or write some training materials. And on some days when there were no issues I went home by lunchtime. And about once or twice a month I get called out in the middle of the night when there had been a major incident and the team were doing the headless chicken dance.

Practice for self employed contractors
    Manager of Team of 8 locally and co manager of 25 based internationally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

wally1990 wrote: »

I would be assuming they are experienced, professional and fit for purpose. Especially contractors. Its not your job to train them - but to lead, direct workloads and ensure quality. That would be my focus. They all have to do CPD - are
    you monitoring their gaps or weaknesses in line with your companies goals and their specific
    roles? I would see that as more important - they can google or do general CPD themselves. That is not where you will add meaningful value.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

wally1990 wrote: »

Well doing accounts and taxation for contractors, is a fairly well defined body of knowledge. So I'd expect you might need to put a lot of time into developing the guidelines, best practices etc... at the start and there after a few days per year bring them up to date.

People wise, it's a fairly standard set of accounting skills, so I'd imagine you'd need to put time into on boarding new staff and there after you'd only have to support them in the odd issue from time to time.

Client wise, again you'd expect most of them to have very similar business requirements, so you should not need to be very involved in on boarding new client either.

All in all, I'd be surprised if you told me you were spending say more than a few days a month training and coaching staff outside the normal supervisory work of the practice. Assuming that there is a low staff turnover.

Advertisement