Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling doctor/hospital about donor.

Options
  • 15-05-2020 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering how people feel about telling their hospital/doctor regarding donor conception? Does this information have to be disclosed?not sure what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Maybe you could ring your maternity hospital and ask to speak to a midwife without identifying yourself, and ask what is the best thing to do. They might explain reasons why its essential to be informed, or they might be really understanding and respect that not all families would want to disclose or have such information recorded. Sorry I have no direct experience of it, but donor egg/sperm/both is so common these days that hopefully you'll get a better reply here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Is it donor egg or donor sperm?

If donor egg I believe that best practice is to tell, in case it has a bearing on delivery but for donor sperm it shouldn't make any difference medically.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

brokensoul wrote: »
    Is it donor egg or donor sperm?

If donor egg I believe that best practice is to tell, in case it has a bearing on delivery but for donor sperm it shouldn't make any difference medically.

Its both, double donor. Your right wouldn’t want it to have any bearing on delivery. Just wasn’t sure what people did, like keep it to themselves.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not sure what people usually disclose, but I know with both my kids I was asked at the 12 week booking appointment was conception spontaneous. I thought they meant was it unplanned :o I'm not actually sure why they ask that, but it would be a good time to mention it, if you chose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

applesock wrote: »
    Its both, double donor. Your right wouldn’t want it to have any bearing on delivery. Just wasn’t sure what people did, like keep it to themselves.
    You should definitely tell in that case. They like to have as much knowledge as possible about you and the pregnancy so that they can choose the most appropriate care pathway.

For example, women with a history of diabetes in their family have a higher risk of gestational diabetes. Women with a history of depression are more likely to experience depression pre and post natal. So the more info they have, the more prepared they can be.

In your case, carrying a donor egg carries a slightly elevated risk of pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes and a few other relatively minor things. So if your doctor/hospital knows you have a donor egg, then they can put the appropriate levels of monitoring in place to ensure you have the best outcome.
    Toots wrote: »
    I'm not sure what people usually disclose, but I know with both my kids I was asked at the 12 week booking appointment was conception spontaneous. I thought they meant was it unplanned :o I'm not actually sure why they ask that, but it would be a good time to mention it, if you chose to.
    The initial booking appointment is generally where they try to plan for all the big risk factors, including mental health. Unplanned pregnancies carry a slightly higher risk of depression than planned ones.
    This is also the reason why they shoo the partner out of the room for the first part of the booking appointment; so they can assess whether there's a risk of domestic violence.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I thought they meant was it unplanned, but when I asked for clarification what they meant was had I conceived naturally vs had we needed assisted reproduction. Then when I confirmed that we hadn't had assistance, they asked was it planned.

Advertisement